Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Joe Riggs On Misaki And Close Call With Kimbo

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fight fans, take notice: In a small way, Joe Riggs helped create Kimbo Slice.

The year is 2003. Riggs is at least a year away from his UFC debut. He’s fighting for $1,000 a show, good money for him at the time. Slice’s manager, Icy Mike, puts out a challenge to tough guys around the country – come to Florida if you think you can beat up Kimbo Slice. Win, and you get $10,000.

Riggs’ manager at the time, Trevor Lally, jumps at the offer. He emails Mike and says he’s got someone for him. He offers to put up $50,000 of his own money as a show of faith.

Riggs begins training in earnest and mentally preparing for a fight with Slice. But when Mike finds out about Riggs’ credentials, the door is promptly closed.

“I’d of beat the (expletive) out of him,” Riggs told MMAWeekly.com. “It would have been done. No Kimbo. I would have rubbed him out and saved everyone the headaches.”

Or Riggs could have videotaped his street brawls, something he jokingly wishes he did.

Riggs had other things in store for his future, including a two-year stint in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. There, he met mixed results. He failed to make weight for a title fight with Matt Hughes at UFC 56 then lost the fight decisively. Batting .500 in his four post-Hughes fights, he asked to be released from his UFC contract after a spat with matchmaker Joe Silva.

Other than the requisite scraps of a hotheaded MMA fighter, the closest Riggs got to Slice was a post-UFC 57 brawl with opponent Nick Diaz at the hospital where they stayed.

Link

Post #1   9/16/08 6:48:11AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
How good would that have been to see Riggs smash Kimbo?

Post #2   9/16/08 11:12:20AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
In just a back yard boxing match i dont think riggs would have won at all. Well maybe, how big was he at the time 280? lol

Post #3   9/16/08 11:15:29AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

In just a back yard boxing match i dont think riggs would have won at all. Well maybe, how big was he at the time 280? lol

I don't know. He used to be big and he does have boxing experience. Wasn't he a golden gloves champ or something?

Post #4   9/16/08 12:03:10PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
He did fight Kimbo didnt he???? He just changed his name from Adrian to Joe.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited 9/16/08 5:29PM server time by wrona666
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/16/08 3:23:57PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

He did fight Kimbo didnt he???? He just changed his name from Adrian to Joe.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, but I think that Adrian faught like a chump, like the majority of the schmucks Kimbo has beaten, this just proves why Kimbo's crew bitches so much during the Gannon fight, MMA scares the crap out of them. Besides, that guy was kinda ripped and like 50 pounds lighter than Kimbo while the Diesel would have had weight on Kimbo back in the day.

Last edited 9/16/08 8:36PM server time by PaleHorse

Post #6   9/16/08 8:35:05PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by wrona666

Nice, but I think that Adrian faught like a chump, like the majority of the schmucks Kimbo has beaten, this just proves why Kimbo's crew bitches so much during the Gannon fight, MMA scares the crap out of them. Besides, that guy was kinda ripped and like 50 pounds lighter than Kimbo while the Diesel would have had weight on Kimbo back in the day.

but not the good kind of weight lol...

and btw Kimbos crew bitched so much during the gannon fight because knees elbows and chokes werent allowed, technically gannon cheated alot during that fight.

Post #7   9/16/08 9:06:24PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
I feel as if Riggs has been headed down the wrong path.....

This story just backs that feeling up, why does this matter ??? Joe is hurting with trying to get back into the swing of thing... He got hurt in his fight with Cory D and seems to have alot of issues

I have no idea why they would breek this story... but just to get some attention on Riggs.....

He should do it the old fashion way by winning some fights

Post #8   9/16/08 11:17:21PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by wrona666

but not the good kind of weight lol...

and btw Kimbos crew bitched so much during the gannon fight because knees elbows and chokes werent allowed, technically gannon cheated alot during that fight.

I guess it depends on who you listen to. Gannon claims that he agreed on no ground fighting and no kicks. Taking advantage of Kimbo's crews's limited knowledge of fighting (outside of boxing) opened an opportunity to legitimately utilize knees and a standing guillotine. That seems fairly plausible to me.

Last edited 9/17/08 4:52PM server time by grappler0000

Post #9   9/17/08 4:47:11PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Riggs is a riot this man is absolutely HALARIOUS. I hate to say it but Kimbo Slice would knock Riggs out cold.

Post #10   9/17/08 7:26:30PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
not sure about all this but I heard Riggs is supposed to be fighting in a Pankration style match in the near future being put on by Shamrock. Not sure if it is set in stone but I even have an idea who his opponent may be.

Post #11   10/30/08 8:25:59AM