Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction's Future Hinges on Main Events

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I remain unconvinced Affliction's new joint promotion with Golden Boy Promotions will end in success. However, the bottom line is that Affliction had to make a major change. Financial reality hit after their first show, and they found themselves in a position where they could not afford to lose that much again, but had no way to avoid losing that much again. They deserve credit for making a major change this early. Most promotions have waited too long, lost too much, and fell by the wayside before they could make changes.

In fight promotion, it is a universal truth that the main event sells PPV buys. There's a reason UFC 66 did over a million buys and UFC 73 did under 400,000. Similarly, Oscar de la Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather did over 2 million buys without any fights on the undercard to speak of. If Affliction can promote joint shows with just one big MMA fight and one big boxing fight, they may be able to pull in enough buys on PPV to survive. Besides those two fights, the fights on the undercard don't matter at all, and they need to avoid fights like Matt Lindland vs. Trevor Prangley, which would have cost about $350,000 for nothing in return.

LINK

Post #1   9/15/08 1:29:19AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
it could help to come up with some kind of reality show. i know it sounds dumb but it worked for UFC. i would not recommend they do another ultimate fighter type of series.

Post #2   9/15/08 5:22:55AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

last year when UFC and Spike agreed to another contract, they were talking about another reality show. wonder what the idea is.

Post #3   9/15/08 8:07:36AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think this will be the end of Affliction. For one MMA fans want full cards not 2 MMA fights. I don't care who is on the card or who the main event is if its just 2 MMA fights I'm not going to buy it. The other thing making MMA fans shy away will be the fact that most likely the real main event will be a boxing match. Then you have your hard core boxing fans shying away because MMA is on the card. So far they have put on one show and their next show is postponed till after the new year from what they are saying due to low ticket sales. That is one show every 6 months. Think how stacked a UFC card would be if they just did one show every 3-6 months. They don't even have enough fighters to have more than one show every 3 months. I have been saying this since Affliction started they are over paying their fighters and didn't really promote the show enough. I really think Affliction as we know it died after that first show.

The reason why the UFC is so successful is because its been around for years now, TUF, Spike TV, and the fact that they have shows every month with a 100% free show about every 3 months. That's 4 MMA events in 3 months.

Last edited 9/15/08 4:42PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #4   9/15/08 4:39:37PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I think this will be the end of Affliction. For one MMA fans want full cards not 2 MMA fights. I don't care who is on the card or who the main event is if its just 2 MMA fights I'm not going to buy it. The other thing making MMA fans shy away will be the fact that most likely the real main event will be a boxing match. Then you have your hard core boxing fans shying away because MMA is on the card. So far they have put on one show and their next show is postponed till after the new year from what they are saying due to low ticket sales. That is one show every 6 months. Think how stacked a UFC card would be if they just did one show every 3-6 months. They don't even have enough fighters to have more than one show every 3 months. I have been saying this since Affliction started they are over paying their fighters and didn't really promote the show enough. I really think Affliction as we know it died after that first show.

The reason why the UFC is so successful is because its been around for years now, TUF, Spike TV, and the fact that they have shows every month with a 100% free show about every 3 months. That's 4 MMA events in 3 months.

I can agree but the hardcore fans are never going to switch over.. and hardcore fans are really the moniorty in both sports.. so this might actually work..

If I were running in say on a typical card there are 10 fights between main and undercard.. say add 4 more fights over all and split it up... 7 boxing 7 MMA.. if the main event for each is typical of a main event for eather but you still have decent other fights.. it could be a win win for all involved.. a bigger show.. more fights for ideally the same money and alternate the fights.. overall you have to showcase both equally other wise a 2nd event will not work.. both sides fans need to feel they got respected

Post #5   9/15/08 5:41:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
boxing and mma fighting don't mix

i don't see them adding any fans to the sport by doing this but i do see them losing some

Post #6   9/15/08 5:55:38PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don
I can agree but the hardcore fans are never going to switch over.. and hardcore fans are really the moniorty in both sports.. so this might actually work..

If I were running in say on a typical card there are 10 fights between main and undercard.. say add 4 more fights over all and split it up... 7 boxing 7 MMA.. if the main event for each is typical of a main event for eather but you still have decent other fights.. it could be a win win for all involved.. a bigger show.. more fights for ideally the same money and alternate the fights.. overall you have to showcase both equally other wise a 2nd event will not work.. both sides fans need to feel they got respected

That sounds good but your avg boxing match takes a lot longer than 15 mins. Your talking almost 40 mins for a non title fight. 10 rounds 3 mins each with 1 min between rounds. If it is a Championship match add 8 more mins to that total. So if you have 7 boxing matches that would almost 5 hours of just boxing. Most have golden boy events are all about the main event and there are very few under card fights. If you add 6 15 min MMA bouts and one 25min bout that's about 2 hours. Now that's to say all fights go to the cards which MMA fights are a lot less likely to do so. But you still have to take the time in to account for that factor and that's not even taking in to account time between fights. So tickets holders would be asked to show up at 10 hours early before the main event to see all the under card fights.

Your hardcore fans have a bigger effect on the sports than you think. Word of mouth goes a long way. Do you remember all the talk about MMA before the Mayweather fight. All he did and all the promoters did was trash MMA. I don't care what anyone says but having a boxing promotion that hated MMA just last year as a MMA promoter doesn't seam very smart to me. Now I'm all about new fans but I don't think this is the way to do it and I see MMA being treated like that side show thing that they added to the boxing event.

Post #7   9/15/08 9:58:19PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
THe UFC took over 52 shows to break even close to 200,000 buys. UFC 52 was its highest grossing to that point and even then they didn't want to release the numbers because they had expected more and yet had not met their hopes.

That was the beginning of the upswing though.

Let me repeat. It took 52 shows.

ZUffa's policy for years was to NEVER share PPV numbers because frankly, they were appallingly low. But, they slowly built their brand, took their losses, and built fan loyalty. Now, they pull in an average of about 350,000 to 400,000 per show.

So, we're talking about Affliction failing after one show? We're worried about them not sharing their PPV numbers? Would you? Wouldn't you take your losses and stay in for the long haul?

Personally, I'm a boxing fan AND a MMA fan. I love both. I'll watch a great fight between Casamayor and Marquez just as soon as I'll watch a muy thai fight or a mma fight. Generally, I would say boxing fans are a little more "literate" about their sport, but the sports themselves don't need to be seperated. They are both martial arts/sports and both have their positives and negatives. Boxing is far m ore brutal--especially ringside than MMA but MMA has so many more ways to get "caught".

Post #8   9/16/08 2:35:52AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EliasG
So, we're talking about Affliction failing after one show? We're worried about them not sharing their PPV numbers? Would you? Wouldn't you take your losses and stay in for the long haul?

Personally, I'm a boxing fan AND a MMA fan. I love both. I'll watch a great fight between Casamayor and Marquez just as soon as I'll watch a muy thai fight or a mma fight. Generally, I would say boxing fans are a little more "literate" about their sport, but the sports themselves don't need to be seperated. They are both martial arts/sports and both have their positives and negatives. Boxing is far m ore brutal--especially ringside than MMA but MMA has so many more ways to get "caught".

The reason why we are talking about them failing is because they basically canceled one of their shows less than a month out. To which they said was due to low ticket sales. So they set their date for Jan 09. So we have to think they are doing this because they are waiting on Fedor and hoping he will boost ticket sales. So they are going to base all their events around Fedor as their main event. A company cant make it basing everything around one fighter. Then they come out with a merger with Golden Boy to do co-events. Share holders right now wont let a company burn money the way the UFC did. The market is very tough right now and if you aren't producing money then your share holders wont stay. So most likely this co-event thing with golden boy is less likely the doing of the head of Affliction and more likely something the share holders have forced on them. You also have rumors flying that they are going to cut the fighters pay. Now granted its just rumors but most rumors in MMA have some truth to them and even more so when your large MMA news sites run stories on them. So yes there are signs the company is failing after one show and in a major way. Let me put this another way. They put on one show and there fighter pay alone for that one event was more than EliteXC paid out all this year. EliteXC is not dumping near that amount of money and is still turning in huge losses and on the brink of closing its doors. So image what kind of losses you can expect from Affliction.

I disagree I think they do need to be separated because if you truly are a fan of MMA then you understand the ground game is a huge part of MMA. Its bad enough now when its goes to the ground you have your people that don't understand the ground game booing. But image the place is half full of boxing fans. MMA already has its problems that was bread by boxing. You have some of the boxing scum that have hurt the sport of boxing spreading their vial over to MMA (like boxing commissions). Then you have the ten point must system. The worst of all poor judging because they don't understand the ground game and are boxing judges not truly MMA judges.

I don't think either has more literate fans. Boxing has its share of literate fans just like MMA does and the both have their less knowledgeable fans.Also I don't think either sport is more brutal than the other. I think they both have their points you could call brutal. But I would rather people think boxing is more brutal because then it removes that dark cloud MMA has had over it for years now.

Last edited 9/16/08 3:36AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   9/16/08 3:31:17AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EliasG

THe UFC took over 52 shows to break even close to 200,000 buys. UFC 52 was its highest grossing to that point and even then they didn't want to release the numbers because they had expected more and yet had not met their hopes.

That was the beginning of the upswing though.

Let me repeat. It took 52 shows.

ZUffa's policy for years was to NEVER share PPV numbers because frankly, they were appallingly low. But, they slowly built their brand, took their losses, and built fan loyalty. Now, they pull in an average of about 350,000 to 400,000 per show.

Fighter salaries weren't near as high and they didn't need to sell that much to break even. MMA is so much bigger now than then. When competing with the ufc and trying to pay more than they do, you NEED to sell alot to break even and keep big name fighters and keep in business

Post #10   9/16/08 3:57:46AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

last year when UFC and Spike agreed to another contract, they were talking about another reality show. wonder what the idea is.

how the f@#k is that off topic? i was commenting how what they can do to stay in business. sorry your majesty.

Post #11   9/16/08 4:22:17AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by RMFG_187

how the f@#k is that off topic? i was commenting how what they can do to stay in business. sorry your majesty.

I did not think it was off topic.. if they did do a show like that I hope they focus more on the training and less on the dumb antics in the house.. thats what i dislike about TUF

Post #12   9/25/08 3:59:36PM