Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction and Goldenboy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio on Saturday confirmed that his company has entered into an agreement with Golden Boy Promotions, the boxing promotion led by Oscar De La Hoya. The two will co-promote a hybrid evening of boxing and mixed martial arts to be held at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. on Jan. 17.

link

Post #1   9/13/08 3:43:22PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
wow this is pretty big. Seems like Affliction was on the fence and this will ensure they will be around for at least awhile. They get the boxing and MMA fans....this is pretty epic.

Post #2   9/13/08 3:48:18PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
How is that good for the sport at all? Good for Affliction maybe... to split some of the costs of promoting fights. That is the last thing MMA needs is for the crooked boxing promoters to get their filthy hands in the biz. End it Tom, End it now.

It would not be an event I would be interested in. I watch boxing with my boxing buds, and mma with my mma buds. I would rather watch mma. This will never last.

Last edited 9/13/08 3:54PM server time by xxmalicexx
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #3   9/13/08 3:48:19PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Am not sure if I would be interested in this type of event, sounds to me like like boxing's last breath or Affliction is in need of a cash influx

Post #4   9/13/08 3:49:10PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

How is that good for the sport at all. That is the last thing MMA needs is for the crooked boxing promoters to get their filthy hands in the biz. End it Tom you idiot, End it now.

I hear you and agree but from a buisness stand point this one of the smartest things Affliction can do. With the money from Golden Boy and ect merging with MMA jeesh.

The only problem I might see in the future is seeing boxers make more then the MMA fighters. This may not set well with the fellas in the back.

But can you imagine the plublicity if you have a Mayweather/De La Hoya added with say a Fedor/Barnett or Fedor/Pitbull on it as well.It will be ridiculous.

Post #5   9/13/08 3:54:56PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by xxMALICExx

How is that good for the sport at all. That is the last thing MMA needs is for the crooked boxing promoters to get their filthy hands in the biz. End it Tom you idiot, End it now.

I hear you and agree but from a buisness stand point this one of the smartest things Affliction can do. With the money from Golden Boy and ect merging with MMA jeesh.

The only problem I might see in the future is seeing boxers make more then the MMA fighters. This may not set well with the fellas in the back.

But can you imagine the plublicity if you have a Mayweather/De La Hoya added with say a Fedor/Barnett or Fedor/Pitbull on it as well.It will be ridiculous.

Yeah it's a good business move, to split the costs. My question is....Will the fans even go for it? I mean I will. I love both sports. But do hardcore boxing fans want their time wasted by watching mma fights? And vice versa.

And it's a good point about the salary. Will the boxers make more than the MMA'ers? Or will this be a start to a big increase in salary for the fighters?

Still don't think it's good for the sport though.

Post #6   9/13/08 4:04:57PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Im not a big fan of this at all. People stop ordering boxing for a reason now we will get boxing if we order mma events. Not really a big fan of that bs I want to see mma fights. I know im only one person but im not to big on the idea of mixing boxing and mma on a event people have to pay money to see.

Post #7   9/13/08 4:25:26PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Im not a big fan of this at all. People stop ordering boxing for a reason now we will get boxing if we order mma events. Not really a big fan of that bs I want to see mma fights. I know im only one person but im not to big on the idea of mixing boxing and mma on a event people have to pay money to see.

People stopped ordering boxing? Isn't the UFC still selling less ppv's then HBO? Fedor vs Barnett and Paquio vs De La Hoya on the same card would do some pretty decent numbers lol.

Post #8   9/13/08 4:54:07PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Paq man by UD, Fedor Round 1 KO.

BTW, I thought Affliction and GB Promos were already in a partnership, or was it GB and Adrenaline MMA... dont really remember.

Post #9   9/13/08 5:33:33PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Excellent business move for two dying brands. But i don't like the fact that boxing promoters have a say in MMA. I have heard so many horror stories about the corruption of boxing promoters. I hope fighters aren't tempted by the bigger paycheck.

Post #10   9/13/08 6:09:53PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i am glad they said it was a hybrid event i was gonna go in jan but i hate boxing thank you for letting me save my money and not have it go to such a waste

Post #11   9/13/08 8:37:26PM   

tooly236

MMA Regular

Career:19-13
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

How is that good for the sport at all? Good for Affliction maybe... to split some of the costs of promoting fights. That is the last thing MMA needs is for the crooked boxing promoters to get their filthy hands in the biz. End it Tom, End it now.

It would not be an event I would be interested in. I watch boxing with my boxing buds, and mma with my mma buds. I would rather watch mma. This will never last.

Amen, any proffesional sport that has done well, has done well with one organization at the top and feeder shows below it. We do not need the bullshit of boxing in this sport.

Post #12   9/13/08 9:16:06PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I understand the business end, but boxing just kind of bores me. It would be difficult for me to sit through boxing bouts waiting for the MMA fights to be shown. It woud be like sifting through long commercial breaks.

Post #13   9/13/08 9:36:19PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I don't see how this wouldn't appeal to both boxing and MMA fans. I guess it depends on how many boxing matches there are in an event. If it's one big event, I see boxing fans buying into the card whether they watch the MMA or not. I mean, most boxing cards are more or less sold off one fight, right? (I don't know for sure because I never watch boxing)

As for MMA fans, some are also boxing fans and those that aren't would not be losing many fights if there is only one boxing match on the card.

You might also see a few boxing fans converted or moonlighting as MMA fans.

I don't know, this may or may not work, but I am sure the risk was considered when making the decision. I mean, if Affliction is not doing well, they said they would step out after three events. So to me, this is their opportunity to take big risks and see if it pays off.

Post #14   9/13/08 10:58:53PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

I don't see how this wouldn't appeal to both boxing and MMA fans. I guess it depends on how many boxing matches there are in an event. If it's one big event, I see boxing fans buying into the card whether they watch the MMA or not. I mean, most boxing cards are more or less sold off one fight, right? (I don't know for sure because I never watch boxing)

As for MMA fans, some are also boxing fans and those that aren't would not be losing many fights if there is only one boxing match on the card.

You might also see a few boxing fans converted or moonlighting as MMA fans.

I don't know, this may or may not work, but I am sure the risk was considered when making the decision. I mean, if Affliction is not doing well, they said they would step out after three events. So to me, this is their opportunity to take big risks and see if it pays off.

Exactly I mean if they do nothing and keep loosing millions of dollars and end up failing people are going to wonder why they didn't do something to make it work. Well folkes its clear they want to make this work. Who knows like Rush says this will only bring more people into watching MMA. MMA fans will buy it to see the MMA and boxing fans will buy it to see the boxing.

Boxing usually beats MMA as it is right now in rating if I remember correctly so with boxing fans giving MMA a try this can only help MMA as a whole and fighters getting higher pay and ect. ect.

I def. can see the negatives but I think this is probably the best buisness move possible for Affliction at this point still growing as a organization and trying to jump start it with some sparks.....we will see if it works.

Post #15   9/13/08 11:14:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2