Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

PHOTO TRIBUTE: THE MANY FACES OF EVAN TANNER

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
An Amarillo, Texas native, Evan Tanner was a high school wrestling stand out who won the state championships his junior and senior years despite entering the sport as a sophomore. He began mixed martial arts in 1997 encouraged by friends.

Tanner rose to the top of the mixed martial arts world by winning the UFC middleweight title over David Terrell at UFC 51: "Super Saturday" on Feb. 5, 2005. He last competed in the UFC on June 21 losing to Kendall Grove by split decision.

“He will obviously be sorely missed,” said Douglas Vincitorio of Tanner’s management agency, Driving Force Sports. Adding, “I think that Evan would want to be remembered as a very complex man with many layers, not just a fighter.”

“Evan was a dear friend to us and an important part of the DFS family,” says Driving Force Sports owner John Hayner. “He was so much more than a fighter. He was an individual we appreciated and cared a lot about. He marched to a drum only he could hear, and he was happy with that – so were we and so were his fans. He worked so hard to get fans more involved in the industry and be a part of his team. He was the kind of guy who kept on trying every day to improve… not just in fighting but in his life as a whole.”

“Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world. It is something that is within each of us.”

– Evan Michael Tanner 1971-2008

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   9/9/08 6:42:57AM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Career:702-408
Camp: The Vuttholios
Chips:
that is one SWEET beard!!! he will be missed.

Post #2   9/9/08 6:53:15AM   

JoeySteel

MMA Regular

JoeySteel Avatar

Career:1,364-991
Chips:
Seriously though, he was a great fighter, and by all accounts a great person. His blog was awesome, and his fights always had 100 % effort. That man gave everything he could, all the time. It's too bad, I think he had some good fights, and some good life left in him. The world could use a few more Evan Tanners.

Post #3   9/9/08 7:45:43AM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Career:702-408
Camp: The Vuttholios
Chips:
heres a good pic of him

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 9/9/08 7:59AM server time by jimbo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   9/9/08 7:59:02AM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
I am in shock. I happened to be up pretty late last night and read about his death about 9 min after it was released. I have to say It was not easy to get to sleep after that.
The only thing I can say is that at least he was doing something that brought a type of peace to his life when he passed.

RIP EVAN

Post #5   9/9/08 9:33:54AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Over the years I have become very attached to alot of the fighters I watch....

Win or lose some are just plain enjoyable to watch Tanner was one of those guys....

Like Raykill I read about it minutes from going to bed and I too found it hard to sleep

May God Bless Evan Tanner and his Beard and his massive Fro, I pray that he had found his peace before going to that great octagon in the sky

Last edited 9/9/08 11:16AM server time by Kracker_Jap
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/9/08 11:14:19AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jimbo

you know, i picked him to beat Grove solely based on the fact that he had that beard...good times

Post #7   9/9/08 2:51:19PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jimbo

you know, i picked him to beat Grove solely based on the fact that he had that beard...good times

Haha I remember and can vouch for that

Post #8   9/9/08 3:21:59PM