Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How does Liddell get back into contention?

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein
Then a fight with the loser of the Rashad vs Evans fight.

This hurts my brain.

Post #31   9/10/08 12:17:55PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
I think Chuck will become some type of Gatekeeper, if you beat chuck then you are definitly a contender (At the moment) but i really don't see him getting his belt back, he would for sure need to beat 2 of the top 5 LHW then Dana would give him a chance.

I don t understand why people think he would be better at HW, Lesnar would put him on his back and control him or Tko him, Kongo would out stirke him from the outside, Gonzaga would put him on his back and sub him, Nog would also sub him and i even think that Mir would beat him too. Those guy are big guys for him to handle, can you imagine how big is gut would be at HW lol. The only fight at HW that could be interresting is if Randy looses his title they could meet for old time sake lol If he decides to move up have him test the waters with Eddie Sanchez

Last edited 9/10/08 12:47PM server time by jocka
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   9/10/08 12:46:03PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:

Posted by Biggz you know he is not going to shoot in and take you down.
What about the Wanderlei fight? If I remember right, he took him down twice,..

Post #33   9/10/08 11:13:09PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
i agree with what Diamondback 2 said. Chuck should definitely move up to HW, weakest division, and Couture is back leaving the opening for another super fight between those two. Unless Dana really screws over the rest of the LHW, Chuck will not get another shot at the title. IMO he would need to beat 2 maybe 3 top contenders and one of those very convincingly to get another shot and it just isn't going to happen. A move up in weight is definitely his best bet. Don't get me wrong I thought Chuck was gonna knock Rashad's head off, but so did pretty much everyone else, there lies the problem. That lose to Rashad just pushed him too far from title contention at LHW.

Post #34   9/10/08 11:58:18PM   

Biggz

Standup Guy

Biggz Avatar

Career:267-204
Camp: Untouchables
Chips:

Posted by Fanboy 1988

Posted by Biggz

you know he is not going to shoot in and take you down.

What about the Wanderlei fight? If I remember right, he took him down twice,..

i stand corrected. props to you and a pretty badass spinning back fist, but for the most part i think you know what i meant by that.

Last edited 9/11/08 2:17AM server time by biggz

Post #35   9/11/08 12:10:16AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
double post

Last edited 9/11/08 9:32PM server time by andersondasilva

Post #36   9/11/08 12:17:40AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by handstrong

Posted by handstrong

QUOTE]Posted by handstrong

Liddell will be out of the game before he beats another 3 fighters in a row. You can only give him so many title shots in one lifetime. As much as people don't want to admit it, he IS on a decline. He can no longer dominate the entire division like he did 5 years ago. It's way too stacked, and he's getting a little too old. Look at the top 5 LHW's... Jackson, Griffin, Machida, Thiago Silva, Evans. Does anyone realisticly think Liddell could get through even 2 of these guys in row, at this point in his career? He's gotn knocked out twice by jackson and once by Evans in like a 5 fight span. Plus a loss to Jardine... And that beer gut isn't getting any smaller.

more like 12 fight span and the first rampage fight , he knocked him out? hackleman threw in the towel after rampage mounted him. there was no knockout . chuck would murder thiago silva.

Excuse me... Okay, then just look at his last 4 fights. He got knocked out twice, lost a decision to Jardine, and took a decision over Silva. How do you know he would murder Silva? Has the fight happened? You probably thought he would murder Evans too, and that didn't work out too well for him. Look at the facts. Also, there's a reason why people throw in towels. It usually means their boy is done.

jardine and rampage got ktfo by wanderlai. chuck soundly beat wanderlai after those fights. i did think rashad would get murdered. I also think chuck would win a rematch if he came in with the fire he had against wanderlai. Chuck won the first round and was pissed rashad was running and got overagressive . Chuck could of won a fight with 3 rounds like the first round. chuck has too much pride to give a boring fight and got caught. props to rashad. He is a great athlete and has improved 10 fold from tuf . Thiago silva doesnt have good striking and wouldnt get chuck down. Throwing in the towell is different then a knock out , I guess you should watch the fight.
[

Post #37   9/11/08 12:20:49AM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,520-869
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
The only was is to maybe try another company, maybe he could contend in Elite or cage rage. I dont know what anyone sees that shows anything but that its over. Others are now to strong fast, multi faceted and young.
No disrespect as I like the Iceman, but the days of the one trick pony are thru.
Im sure he would fight again for the cash, but he really cant be dying to get back in the ring and get his head knocked off again. Hes gotta be smart enough to know that dreams of the UFC belt are over.

Post #38   9/11/08 2:21:18AM   

handstrong

Learning to Sprawl

handstrong Avatar

Career:197-126
Chips:

Posted by handstrong

Posted by handstrong

QUOTE]Posted by handstrong

Liddell will be out of the game before he beats another 3 fighters in a row. You can only give him so many title shots in one lifetime. As much as people don't want to admit it, he IS on a decline. He can no longer dominate the entire division like he did 5 years ago. It's way too stacked, and he's getting a little too old. Look at the top 5 LHW's... Jackson, Griffin, Machida, Thiago Silva, Evans. Does anyone realisticly think Liddell could get through even 2 of these guys in row, at this point in his career? He's gotn knocked out twice by jackson and once by Evans in like a 5 fight span. Plus a loss to Jardine... And that beer gut isn't getting any smaller.

more like 12 fight span and the first rampage fight , he knocked him out? hackleman threw in the towel after rampage mounted him. there was no knockout . chuck would murder thiago silva.

Excuse me... Okay, then just look at his last 4 fights. He got knocked out twice, lost a decision to Jardine, and took a decision over Silva. How do you know he would murder Silva? Has the fight happened? You probably thought he would murder Evans too, and that didn't work out too well for him. Look at the facts. Also, there's a reason why people throw in towels. It usually means their boy is done.

jardine and rampage got ktfo by wanderlai. chuck soundly beat wanderlai after those fights. i did think rashad would get murdered. I also think chuck would win a rematch if he came in with the fire he had against wanderlai. Chuck won the first round and was pissed rashad was running and got overagressive . Chuck could of won a fight with 3 rounds like the first round. chuck has too much pride to give a boring fight and got caught. props to rashad. He is a great athlete and has improved 10 fold from tuf . Thiago silva doesnt have good striking and wouldnt get chuck down. Throwing in the towell is different then a knock out , I guess you should watch the fight.
[

Yeah, I saw the fight, but I was referring to the 2nd fight between Liddell and jackson, not the Pride fight 25 years ago. And he DID get KTFO the 2nd time he fought jackson. He may as well have the 1st time. That's the only route it was going before the towel got thrown in. That's why they threw the towel in. I'm not bashing Liddell. What he's done is amazing. He's the most dominant Light heavyweight ever, but everything has to come to an end. I'm not speaking hypothetically, I'm just talking about what;'s actually happened. That's still 3 losses in his past 4 fights, 2 by knockout. And Thiago Silva has knocked out like 10 of 14 people he fought, so I think his stand-up is more than sufficient. I'm not hearing the Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Just the what is.

God Bless

Post #39   9/12/08 12:12:14AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,602-987
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
haven't really read the previous posts here but as to the question of how chuck gets back into title contention i have 2 words-
he doesn't

Post #40   9/12/08 3:12:08AM   

JasonSmolinski

Learning to Sprawl

JasonSmolinski Avatar

Career:159-90
Chips:
Overheard Friday, September 5th, 9:00pm
Chuck's Hotel Room

"No, he ain't just another fighter! This guy is a wrecking machine! And he's hungry! Hell Chuck, you ain't been hungry since you won that belt."

Post #41   9/12/08 6:30:55PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
i dunno it might be me but chuck just seems quiet and to distant to be a fighter any more i no hes kinda a chill guy but he doesnt have a warriors spirit any more i do wish he still did

Post #42   9/12/08 7:26:48PM   

JohnnyNapalm

MMA Regular

JohnnyNapalm Avatar

Career:22-14
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

Posted by Wolfenstein
Then a fight with the loser of the Rashad vs Evans fight.

This hurts my brain.

Why?

I'm sure he could beat himself.

Post #43   9/13/08 12:53:08AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I don't think Chuck is gonna make it back into title contention. There are still some interesting fights left for him at LHW, but I don't think he's beating the top guys anymore.

Chuck's gameplan is almost identical for every single fight: cock that right hand back and try to connect. The only problem is that when he doesn't get that one punch, he doesn't win. The younger fighters are only getting better at striking. This doesn't bode well for Chuck's stagnant game.

It's looking like he's turning into a litmus test for the TUF alumni.

Post #44   9/13/08 1:17:24AM   

JohnnyNapalm

MMA Regular

JohnnyNapalm Avatar

Career:22-14
Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

I don't think Chuck is gonna make it back into title contention. There are still some interesting fights left for him at LHW, but I don't think he's beating the top guys anymore.

Chuck's gameplan is almost identical for every single fight: cock that right hand back and try to connect. The only problem is that when he doesn't get that one punch, he doesn't win. The younger fighters are only getting better at striking. This doesn't bode well for Chuck's stagnant game.

It's looking like he's turning into a litmus test for the TUF alumni.

Yep, Chuck is on the slippery slope to becoming another Teeter Ortiz. Too f-ing sad, but every dog has their day.

Post #45   9/13/08 1:37:04AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4