Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brock Lesnar made more than GSP??!!!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Unfortunatly UFC 87 payouts won't be officially released. But i found several sources that say brock lesnar made more than twice what GSP made.

Apparently fighter payout’s are not released in Minnesota as part of the state’s freedom of information legislation. At least that is what Scott LeDoux, the executive director of the Minnesota Combative Sports Commission told MMAJunkie.com.

I did read that George St. Pierre is on the same contract as his fight with Hughes when he pulled in $160,000 which means he would have made the same amount. If you combine that with his $60,000 "Fight of the Night" bonus, he would have pocketed a total of $220,000 for the event which is probably pretty accurate.

http://www.redsweat.com/ufc-87-fighter-payouts-salaries-not-released/

http://www.mmachump.com/2008/08/ufc-87-fighter-payouts-salaries/

Total and complete bs

Last edited 9/5/08 5:07AM server time by haggiswashere
Edit note/reason: Typo

Post #1   9/5/08 5:06:12AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
it's not really BS at all. You get paid based on how many tickets/PPVs you sell, not how good you are, that's the real world. GSP might be an amazing fighter but if you walk down the street and ask people who either of them are, more people will know brock, and if you head down to the bar and ask the average joe who he will pay to see fight on PPV night you're also going to hear Brock more than GSP. Same reason Kimbo is the main guy at EliteXC, if you sell tickets you make the company money which they then pass on to you. They don't care at all how many great fighters you dominated, they make money off of PPV and ticket sales.

Simple economics.

Post #2   9/5/08 5:18:19AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Aether

it's not really BS at all. You get paid based on how many tickets/PPVs you sell, not how good you are, that's the real world. GSP might be an amazing fighter but if you walk down the street and ask people who either of them are, more people will know brock, and if you head down to the bar and ask the average joe who he will pay to see fight on PPV night you're also going to hear Brock more than GSP. Same reason Kimbo is the main guy at EliteXC, if you sell tickets you make the company money which they then pass on to you. They don't care at all how many great fighters you dominated, they make money off of PPV and ticket sales.

Simple economics.

You are right in that sense from a promoters point of view. but from a fighters point of view thats gotta be a kick in the nuts to pay your dues and work hard for years to only see someone who has fought twice and won once in your organiziation get paid twice what you did. Know what i mean?

Post #3   9/5/08 5:23:52AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah, sure, it's not fair in one sense. We expect the hardest worker to get paid the most, but realistically it rarely works out that way. He still gets paid a nice chunk of change for a job that he loves though so I doubt he's all that worried about it.

Post #4   9/5/08 5:30:53AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
If lesnar beat Mir, He was gonna earn 1 Million, But lost and got only a half

Not sure what he got at 87, But he is on track at being the highest paid UFC fighter, If he isnt already.

Post #5   9/5/08 6:31:38AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Simple economics.

The only thing we need to do is to get more women interested in mma then we will see GSP's paycheck get bigger right lol

Post #6   9/5/08 7:35:44AM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:

Posted by ufcboss

Not sure what he got at 87, But he is on track at being the highest paid UFC fighter, If he isnt already.

are you 100% on that? i could have sworn it was 200 to show and 200 to win....or maybe 250 for each. I dont think it was 500 and 500

Post #7   9/5/08 9:19:38AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
the idea that you get paid for being a great fighter and winning championships is completely wrong and people need to stop believing that. the ufc is a business, not some sort of non profit mma foundation. brock lesnar is a bigger draw than gsp or anyone else for that matter. i saw an interview with frank mir and he explained why brock made more than him for their fight. he understands it and it really is not that hard to understand. you get paid to sell tickets and ppv's and brock does that better than anyone else in mma. if he loses his next three fights he will still be a bigger draw than a lot of top tier fighters. not only that but he draws fans that are outside of the mma base of fans.

i wouldnt mind if brock just lost interest and went off to do something else but so long as he is competing in mma he deserves to make a lot of money for it because he will be making the ufc a lot of money...

Post #8   9/5/08 9:23:02AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Aether

Simple economics.

You are right in that sense from a promoters point of view. but from a fighters point of view thats gotta be a kick in the nuts to pay your dues and work hard for years to only see someone who has fought twice and won once in your organiziation get paid twice what you did. Know what i mean?

not really... the UFC knows what GSP is worth. Once it is time for a new contract I am sure he will be getting a hefty raise. Also consider main even headliners usually get a PPV cut so he could of easily gotten more then 500k. You don't hear GSP complaining do you?

Post #9   9/5/08 9:35:59AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Thats the biggest joke I have ever heard in my life. This a MMA not a popularity contest makes me sick. GSP should be one of the highest paid fighters in the sport considering he is one best fighters the sport has ever seen.

I think that brock makin more money then GSP is pure shananagans!!

Post #10   9/5/08 10:49:44AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by ufcboss

Actually he only made $250,000 to show and got $200,000 extra if he would have won.

Link

Last edited 9/5/08 11:02AM server time by DevonFoxy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/5/08 11:02:07AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
There's no denying that it's complete B.S., but like others have said.. it's simple economics. This is yet another part of the reason why I dislike Brock Lesnar. I guess to get paid a bunch of money all you've got to do is be gigantic, win a couple wrestling matches and f-5 some roided out pro wrestlers.

People will hate on me for saying that, but honestly- what has he accomplished in MMA? There's plenty of guys who have come in for their first 3 fights and accomplished more than Lesnar has. Cain Velasquez has never been out of the first round, always gotten a TKO and he's been in more fights than Brock Lesnar. Not to mention he's got a first round KO over Jake O'Brien who beat the best guy that Brock has beaten. Too bad he doesn't sell as many tickets as Brock, though.

It's complete and total B.S. for Lesnar to be getting paid more money than GSP in MMA no matter which way you cut it, but it's the way our world works. Dana White is a business man and Brock Lesnar is a household name. That's why I refuse to order a PPV that Brock Lesnar is on. My own silent protest.

Last edited 6/18/09 1:39AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   9/5/08 11:32:45AM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

There's no denying that it's complete B.S., but like others have said.. it's simple economics. This is yet another part of the reason why I dislike Brock Lesnar. I guess to get paid a bunch of money all you've got to do is be gigantic, get a huge cock-sword tattoo on your chest, win a couple wrestling matches and f-5 some roided out pro wrestlers.

People will hate on me for saying that, but honestly- what has he accomplished in MMA? There's plenty of guys who have come in for their first 3 fights and accomplished more than Lesnar has. Cain Velasquez has never been out of the first round, always gotten a TKO and he's been in more fights than Brock Lesnar. Not to mention he's got a first round KO over Jake O'Brien who beat the best guy that Brock has beaten. Too bad he doesn't sell as many tickets as Brock, though.

It's complete and total B.S. for Lesnar to be getting paid more money than GSP in MMA no matter which way you cut it, but it's the way our world works. Dana White is a business man and Brock Lesnar is a household name. That's why I refuse to order a PPV that Brock Lesnar is on. My own silent protest.

So, let me get this straight. Your hating on a guy because he is making a ton of money, despite only being in MMA for 3 fights.

But, that guy just happens to be one of the most popular and successful pro wrestlers in the last decade and, in turn, probably brings a big portion of those wrestling fans over to watch his fights. On top of that, he's show that he has some really great potential in the cage.

Now, you shouldn't hate people for the money they make, because if you were in their position, would you turn it down and say "no, I don't deserve that." I don't think so.

So, let me ask you this: Are you hating on Brock Lesnar because he isn't talented? He seems to have a lot of potential and he did just manhandle Heath Herring like a little kid.

Or, are you hating on Brock because he was a professional wrestler?

Post #13   9/5/08 12:07:51PM   

wolfgarnaud

MMA Regular

wolfgarnaud Avatar

Career:214-136
Chips:
the stupid thing is that if you really think about it, dana white prefer to pay half a million or more, to WWE wrestler that really suck ass, instead of using on Fedor. patetic!!!

Post #14   9/5/08 12:12:17PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Posted by Jackelope

There's no denying that it's complete B.S., but like others have said.. it's simple economics. This is yet another part of the reason why I dislike Brock Lesnar. I guess to get paid a bunch of money all you've got to do is be gigantic, get a huge cock-sword tattoo on your chest, win a couple wrestling matches and f-5 some roided out pro wrestlers.

So, let me get this straight. Your hating on a guy because he is making a ton of money, despite only being in MMA for 3 fights.

But, that guy just happens to be one of the most popular and successful pro wrestlers in the last decade and, in turn, probably brings a big portion of those wrestling fans over to watch his fights. On top of that, he's show that he has some really great potential in the cage.

Now, you shouldn't hate people for the money they make, because if you were in their position, would you turn it down and say "no, I don't deserve that." I don't think so.

So, let me ask you this: Are you hating on Brock Lesnar because he isn't talented? He seems to have a lot of potential and he did just manhandle Heath Herring like a little kid.

Or, are you hating on Brock because he was a professional wrestler?

Hah, obviously you haven't seen much of my posts about Brock Lesnar.

Listen, I know I'm being an idiot for disliking him as much as I do. I won't argue with you on that accord. It's irrational, but it is what it is. I understand perfectly well the draw he brings into the sport. I can respect that draw.

I base how much I like a fighter on his general respect for the sport and the other fighters. I don't see much of that from Brock, so I personally don't like him much at all.

Post #15   9/5/08 12:14:37PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3