Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Do you believe in Global Warming?

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Mitchell740

MMA Regular

Career:97-64
Camp: The drunken brawlers
Chips:
The earths climate has always drastically changed, long before we were here. My personal opinion is that global warming is fake and I'll explain why.

Global warming makes it hotter.
Global warming is also caused by Co2.
With a hotter climate there is more plant life.
Plants take in Co2 and give off oxygen.
Oxygen rebuilds the o-zone.

I could be 100% wrong on this, but what bad happens from this? More beaches which = more girls in bikini's? Women feeling more self concious about themselves in bathing suits due to more beaches, which will make the fat chick population decrease. And most of all the top ale companies are starting to use glacier water to brew their better tasteing beer with.

Keep on driving your SUV's and pick-ups.

Post #31   9/4/08 8:03:39PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Mitchell740

I could be 100% wrong on this , but what bad happens from this?

You are!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #32   9/4/08 8:50:55PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Mitchell740

I could be 100% wrong on this, but what bad happens from this?

more harmful rays get through and i get skin cancer

it has already begun. you get sunburn fast er than you would in say the 1920's. the sun's rays are more harmful then they previously were. whether that be from Global warming or just a natural process it is a fact.

Post #33   9/4/08 8:54:11PM   

Mitchell740

MMA Regular

Career:97-64
Camp: The drunken brawlers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Mitchell740

it has already begun. you get sunburn fast er than you would in say the 1920's. the sun's rays are more harmful then they previously were. whether that be from Global warming or just a natural process it is a fact.

Yeah, hopefully someday they will invent a lotion you can put on your skin to prevent this from happening.

Post #34   9/4/08 10:10:42PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Mitchell740

The earths climate has always drastically changed, long before we were here. My personal opinion is that global warming is fake and I'll explain why.

Global warming makes it hotter.
Global warming is also caused by Co2.
With a hotter climate there is more plant life.
Plants take in Co2 and give off oxygen.
Oxygen rebuilds the o-zone.

I could be 100% wrong on this, but what bad happens from this? More beaches which = more girls in bikini's? Women feeling more self concious about themselves in bathing suits due to more beaches, which will make the fat chick population decrease. And most of all the top ale companies are starting to use glacier water to brew their better tasteing beer with.

You never explained why global warming was fake. Explain why you think it was created. If there is no reason for it being created, then why would it be created?

In summary the major piece that you are missing to your "theory" is that large scale chages in the Earth's environment has a dramitic (negative) effect on the Earth's biodiversity.

Post #35   9/4/08 11:21:23PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I think everybody who writes off global warming due to human kind are just trying to justify in their own minds the fact they are destroying the planet. Id bet my left ball (and right) that if we keep going the way where going we wont last another 200 years, regardless of volcanoes and solar flairs ect. This is a topic im very interested in, so its cool to see every bodies views, but im totally shocked at the amount of people who put global warming down to natural causes.

Im to drunk to put together much of an argument at this point but thats basically what i think.

Post #36   9/4/08 11:28:28PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mitchell740

Posted by Mitchell740

Yeah, hopefully someday they will invent a lotion you can put on your skin to prevent this from happening.

i don't put sunblock on everyday when i go to school, but i have gotten sunburn from standing out on my stop for too long. it will to the point where people need to put on sunblock at all times...and tell em that's a world you want to live in.

Post #37   9/4/08 11:36:40PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Jackelope

Also, on the flip side of my own argument (So as to be impartial) it can be viewed like this-

We are building more and more things on the earth. Especially metal things. If you analyze the earth like a processor you see the more things you add to it, the more heat it generates. Therefore you need a more advanced cooling system. The Earth obviously hasn't developed a more advanced cooling system and we're only adding more things to absorb heat.

So in that simple sense (without getting into greenhouse gas effects) one could make an argument for global warming being fact.

I've never heard this "metal things are heating up the planet" theory, but not getting into greenhouse gas effects seems to be deliberately avoiding the crux of the topic you opened, because it's greenhouse gas emissions that are (or are not, depending on your view) contributing to global warming.

We humans manipulate our environment. It's what we do.

- Forests in parts of the United States don't have any young trees because the ground cover is too thick; the ground cover is too thick because there haven't been any big forest fires for the last 50+ years; there haven't been any forest fires because we've adopted a policy of putting them out instead of letting them burn.

- The city of New Orleans is getting hit with hurricanes because the Mississippi delta wetlands are shrinking; the wetlands are shrinking because the river is no longer carrying enough silt to rebuild them; the river isn't carrying enough silt because we've built so many concrete embankments along its length.

- The Mississippi River valley is flooding worse and worse every year; part of the reason is because the land along its banks isn't absorbing enough rainfall; the land along its banks isn't absorbing enough rain because we've replaced the grasses that used to grow there with concrete and food crops that don't use water as efficiently as the grass did.

- Plants absorb water and sunlight to produce energy in a process called photosynthesis; the sunlight is used to process the water and carbon dioxide into sugar, expelling leftover oxygen, which we animals then breathe and turn back into carbon dioxide. The Amazon rain forest, the largest concentration of plant life on the planet, has been described as "the lungs of the world." By some estimates, we've destroyed as much as 20% of the Amazon rain forest.

That's just four examples, off the top of my head (sorry, I don't have any links handy), of the massive impact that people have on the Earth. Even if there was no evidence of a human role in global warming, I think it would only be logical to assume that we have one, and then put the burden on science to prove that we aren't at least partly responsible.

I find it very hard to believe a lot of that.

Post #38   9/4/08 11:56:35PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
Something caused by good old mother nature will kill us all eventually so global warming is the last of our problems

Post #39   9/5/08 12:00:44AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Something caused by good old mother nature will kill us all eventually so global warming is the last of our problems

I hate to admit this but in this statment I agree with you

Last edited 9/5/08 1:18AM server time by Kracker_Jap
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #40   9/5/08 1:18:34AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Mitchell740

Posted by Mitchell740

i don't put sunblock on everyday when i go to school, but i have gotten sunburn from standing out on my stop for too long. it will to the point where people need to put on sunblock at all times...and tell em that's a world you want to live in.

Its funny to me how smart you are for only being 16yr old..... But by making this statment it proves to me and others you are far from wise......

What makes you think your bus stop is any different from mine when I was a kid or better yet some one who is 90yrs old??? I got burnt and so did the person who is 90.... This is the world we live in warm earth or cool earth you better make the best of it

Last edited 9/5/08 1:37AM server time by Kracker_Jap

Post #41   9/5/08 1:35:03AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Its funny to me how smart you are for only being 16yr old..... But by making this statment it proves to me and others you are far from wise......

What makes you think your bus stop is any different from mine when I was a kid or better yet some one who is 90yrs old??? I got burnt and so did the person who is 90.... This is the world we live in warm earth or cool earth you better make the best of it

I think he means due to the thinning ozone layer if the same person was to stand in the same conditions now for a hour they would end up a lot more burnt than if they were to stand in the same conditions say 50 years ago.

I agree with you though man! Got to make the best of what we've got!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #42   9/5/08 7:05:17AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I find it very hard to believe a lot of that.

There's no reason you should take my word for it. In fact, I encourage anyone to learn as much as they can, about anything. It would be much too difficult for me to provide all the relevant information in this space, with the time I have. I can provide a few links in support of my first claim, just to get the ball rolling.

Posted by AchillesHeel

- Forests in parts of the United States don't have any young trees because the ground cover is too thick; the ground cover is too thick because there haven't been any big forest fires for the last 50+ years; there haven't been any forest fires because we've adopted a policy of putting them out instead of letting them burn.

From the US Forest Service, Los Padres National Forest - Fire Ecology:

"[...]chaparral plants actually flourish after fires. Many re-sprout from basal root burls or grow from seeds that germinate after exposure to high temperatures. It includes many species of oak, buckwheat, and sage. Manzanita, chemise, wild lilac, silk-tassel bush, mountain mahogany, islay, monkeyflower, toyon, laurel sumac, and current are other common species."

"When vegetation becomes older, dead leaves and branches accumulate, resulting in an increased level of flammable materials, or fuels. In particularly hot and dry weather, wildfires can be very intense and cause severe damage to the plants, animals, and the soil conditions."

"The practice of suppressing wildfires in the past has allowed some areas to develop a higher percentage of decadent vegetation than would normally occur in an area. Management objectives are now focusing more on reducing the danger of destructive fire by using prescribed fire by reducing the amount of standing fuels. It is hoped that in this manner, more natural fire patterns can be reintroduced to the landscape, while protecting sensitive resources and public interests."

From the Northern Arizona University Center for Environmental Sciences and Education, "Wildfire History and Ecology (of the Colorado Plateau)":

"The continuing threat of fire led to an approximately 60-year history of fire suppression policies by the United States Forest Service and other land management agencies. These efforts have resulted in far less frequent fires, disrupting the natural cycles of the region's forests and resulting in many damaging ecological effects. Forests with historically frequent, low-intensity fires were those initially most affected. Pinyon-juniper woodlands, ponderosa pine forests, and drier mixed conifer forests shifted from a fire regime of frequent, surface fires to one of stand-replacing, high-intensity fires. "

"By the early 1900s, fire exclusion began altering forest composition and structure. The disruption of natural fire regimes has decreased the diversity of forested areas across the landscape. Frequent fires once killed conifer seedlings encroaching into forest meadows, maintaining numerous open parks in the region's highlands. Fire exclusion permits this encroachment, and meadow acreage has decreased significantly. Establishment of young trees in older stands has provided a fuel ladder for carrying fires into the canopy. With more stand-replacing fires, average stand age is reduced; the diversity inherent in old stands is lost."

From "Fire History, Landscape Level Forest Dynamics and Old-Growth Forest Status in the Northern Section of the Lake Abitibi Model Forest", published by the Lake Abitibi Model Forest Project of the Canadian Forest Service:

"Among the forest types that occur in natural forest landscapes, old-growth and mature forests are less likely to be present in managed forests under current practices, than in naturally disturbed forest landscapes."

"In the boreal forest, natural disturbances - such as fire - starts the growth of new tree types and helps to create the patterns of tree ages and types we see in the forest."

Last edited 9/5/08 9:36AM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #43   9/5/08 9:35:49AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
^^ As a fire science student, without going into all of the technicalities I can assure Ben_Hutch the above is true.

When all of this stuff starts to decompose chemically it takes on more flammable properties. Often times mulch and hay will "spontaneously self-combust" in a perfectly natural fashion. When it starts to decompose it is basically "oxidizing". Well, guess what fire is defined as?

A rapid, persistent chemical change that releases heat and light and is accompanied by flame, especially the exothermic oxidation of a combustible substance.

You can argue whether God made it this way or whether science has a natural recycling method, but either way it's fact and it's that way for a reason. Fire is Nature's rebirth cycle.

Post #44   9/5/08 11:49:15AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I think he means due to the thinning ozone layer if the same person was to stand in the same conditions now for a hour they would end up a lot more burnt than if they were to stand in the same conditions say 50 years ago.

I agree with you though man! Got to make the best of what we've got!

this is exactly what i meant. it takes a shorter amount of time to get sun burnt then it did say 20 years ago. this is beause the ozone layer is thinning. now i am not saying what i causing it to thin, but it is definitely thinning and as a by-product of that more harmful rays can get through which makes skin cancer more proficient.

Post #45   9/5/08 2:37:39PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5