Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Do you believe in Global Warming?

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Here's an interesting story on the front page of Yahoo!

Arctic Ice Shelf the Size of Manhattan Breaks off

I'm wondering what people's thoughts on Global Warming are. We cannot deny the natural effects that are happening the world over. However, is this a natural occurence or are we as humans really causing it?

Personally I feel like mother nature and this Earth will be around a long time after we're all dead and gone. While we may be able to influence our environment I am skeptic when it comes to our ability to "Destroy" our planet. I believe mother nature is a force humans have only minimal control over, and that Global Warming/Ice Ages are mother nature's natural way of hitting the "reset" button.

Post #1   9/4/08 11:01:54AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I think the earth may very well be raising in overall tempurature. Its hard to say where I live because the winters are so brutal it makes me out of touch with how hot it might be elsewhere. But there is no proof, whatsoever, that man is causing it. None. You cannot show me proof.

This planet has gone through so many intense heating and cooling cycles. Why does one that happens now have to be our fault? The number of solar flares and their intesity have also increased greatly in the past half-century. I'm gonna say the sun has more control over the tempurature of this planet than we do.

Post #2   9/4/08 11:14:04AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Carbon is what regulates what makes the Earth get colder and warmer. We as humans cause 3% of the Carbon emissions on the ozone the other 97% Dead plants, Volcanos, and Forest fires. There is nothing we can do other then enjoy the slightly warmer winters!

Post #3   9/4/08 11:19:14AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
This is something I know a fir bit about... Not through choice, my girlfriend does Geography at uni.
Anyway.. I actually believe that if we don't make some drastic changes the chances of the human race surviving in the comfort it is in now are virtually nil.
I'v got to go to work but I'll post more in a bit.
This sort of stuff is intresting!
Good topic man!
I'd prop you but I know for a fact I'v got to spread the love

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   9/4/08 11:21:37AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

This is something I know a fir bit about... Not through choice, my girlfriend does Geography at uni.
Anyway.. I actually believe that if we don't make some drastic changes the chances of the human race surviving in the comfort it is in now are virtually nil.
I'v got to go to work but I'll post more in a bit.
This sort of stuff is intresting!
Good topic man!
I'd prop you but I know for a fact I'v got to spread the love

Awesome, can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Post #5   9/4/08 11:24:58AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Here's an interesting story on the front page of Yahoo!

Arctic Ice Shelf the Size of Manhattan Breaks off

I'm wondering what people's thoughts on Global Warming are. We cannot deny the natural effects that are happening the world over. However, is this a natural occurence or are we as humans really causing it?

Personally I feel like mother nature and this Earth will be around a long time after we're all dead and gone. While we may be able to influence our environment I am skeptic when it comes to our ability to "Destroy" our planet. I believe mother nature is a force humans have only minimal control over, and that Global Warming/Ice Ages are mother nature's natural way of hitting the "reset" button.

Totally agree...I will agree that humans do have an impact on the environment, but I think the Global Warming movement has grown into something larger than life, almost like the "Pull Tab/Kidney Dialysis" movement in the 80's. I understand that people want to do the right thing and feel positive about it, but don't just buy into everything the media tells you.

I actually got into a debate about this very topic with a female friend of mine about a year or so ago. Her only argument was that the average temperature was on the rise. After a few minutes, it was obvious that she knew no more than what you could find out on the evening news. I tried to explain to her that it's not that I'm against the idea as a possibility, but that it's far from being fact. I then asked her if we were to have the coldest winter in a decade this year, would it prove that Global Warming doesn't exist. She thought for a minute and realized that obviously the opposite argument wouldn't hold weight either. Fluctuation over a short period of time is nothing to get alarmed about...history has shown that it has happened as far back as we have records.

I truly believe that the media feeds/profits off of our fears and without the "what will happen if we don't change?" factor, this thing wouldn't have nearly the steam that it does. I continue to keep an open mind, but I have seen nothing that has made me a believer yet.

Post #6   9/4/08 11:48:03AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
^ I agree.

Here's my things with the whole global warming argument-

1) We haven't been accurately recording temperature for even 50 years now.

2) The world is estimated to be around 4.5 billion years old

3) WTF is 50 years of data compared to 4.5 BILLION years of existence?

I'm a big fan of science. Don't get me wrong here. Something just doesn't compute in my mind in regards to this argument, though.

Post #7   9/4/08 12:02:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Also, on the flip side of my own argument (So as to be impartial) it can be viewed like this-

We are building more and more things on the earth. Especially metal things. If you analyze the earth like a processor you see the more things you add to it, the more heat it generates. Therefore you need a more advanced cooling system. The Earth obviously hasn't developed a more advanced cooling system and we're only adding more things to absorb heat.

So in that simple sense (without getting into greenhouse gas effects) one could make an argument for global warming being fact.

Last edited 9/4/08 12:30PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/4/08 12:30:00PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Also, on the flip side of my own argument (So as to be impartial) it can be viewed like this-

We are building more and more things on the earth. Especially metal things. If you analyze the earth like a processor you see the more things you add to it, the more heat it generates. Therefore you need a more advanced cooling system. The Earth obviously hasn't developed a more advanced cooling system and we're only adding more things to absorb heat.

So in that simple sense (without getting into greenhouse gas effects) one could make an argument for global warming being fact.

Are you suggesting that we should start designing our cars in the shape of a Heat Sync?

Post #9   9/4/08 12:34:29PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Naww, just that we should put giant fans on top of them all

Post #10   9/4/08 12:53:36PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
Here in England in the winter we don't get snow, we just get a lot of rain, Ever since I've been alive we haven't had a strong amount of snow where I live. In summer we probably get about 10 days of decent sunshine, the rest of the time it'll just be cloudy or rain.

Global Warming my ass.

Last edited 9/4/08 2:01PM server time by Ben_Hutch
2 total post edits

Post #11   9/4/08 1:23:29PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by postman

Carbon is what regulates what makes the Earth get colder and warmer. We as humans cause 3% of the Carbon emissions on the ozone the other 97% Dead plants, Volcanos, and Forest fires. There is nothing we can do other then enjoy the slightly warmer winters!

over the course of the Earth's history the Earth has always gone through periods where it has warmed up and cooled back down again. like it says abov humans account for only 3% of the carbon released into the atmosphere so there really isn't anything we can do. there is an episode of Penn and Teller Bull$hit about this. they went into how being "carbon neutral" is one of the biggest scams on the planet. i think we are having some effect on the environment but it's not significant enough to cause the entire climate to change. that would be something that happens naturally and there is nothing we can do.

Post #12   9/4/08 1:24:23PM   

sleevey

MMA Regular

sleevey Avatar

Career:729-440
Camp: Jaxallout
Chips:
Great topic and thats why i like this site so much better than most esp. sherdog to say the least by now on shitdog there would have been 5 trolls making some ignorant response to this post. I usually only post when there is a good topic.

Altough i am no scientist by any means i i have to agree with y'all they have done multiple studies in the ice cap where they drilled into the frozen ice that dates back hundreds of thousands of years and what we are experiancing is nothing new to our planet. However in the past 100,000 years it has never happened at the rate that it is now. Is that from us i speculate we play some role in the rapid increase. but with tha being said how much of a role have we played in the cooling of our planet we have had 2 mini ice ages in the last 10,000 years. Our time on earth is a pimple on the ass of time.

I agree the media is feeding us and like a school of fish we just follow where we are pointed to go. Damn our media is so powerful we can lok at who we have running for our president right now and how the media played the biggest role in there party's race. From a 2nd possibly 3rd best canidate to the next coming of JFK.

IMO I agree with the arguements stated here already global warming is nothing more than a cycle our planet goes through every 50,000 years or so. Typically we can thank volcano's or astroids or some major catastrophe. Watch in 50 years we will be on the verge to having an Ice Age.

Post #13   9/4/08 1:32:21PM   

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:

Posted by postman

Im trying to figure out how we only contribute 3%... Might be a Republican spin of sorts. Get on biased scientist to say 3% and people just say "welp, nothin we can do,,, lets burn some tires" Not being a dick, is there any backup for the 3% claim you heard?

Post #14   9/4/08 1:39:25PM   

sleevey

MMA Regular

sleevey Avatar

Career:729-440
Camp: Jaxallout
Chips:

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Here in England in the winter we don't get snow, we just get a lot of rain, Ever since I've been alive we haven't had a strong amount of snow where I live. In summer we probably get about 14-20 days of decent sunshine, the rest of the time it'll just be cloudy or rain.

Global Warming my ass.

You can thank the gulf stream for the lovely weather you get. If what they say is true about global warming (altough i highly doubt it). In 15-20 years the gulf stream will shift or possible stop (depending upon who you listen to or believe) and you will really feel the effects of global warming. It will be like the great potato disaster, Also i belive during the dark ages Europe was wacked with a mini-ice aged caused from global warming. If i remember correctly it lasted a couple hundred years with colder than average temp. and some glaciers advanced as far south as Denmark. So if the earth warmed up then did they call that global warming as well. No wait they blamed a volcano eruption that caused a nuclear winter.

Keep in mind all of this stuff is just a theory shit 500 years ago there was no gravity the earth was flat and also the center of the universe we, and we all know the difference between theory and reality. My 5 year old son came up to me last weekend asking what the difference between theory and reality are i told him go in the kitchen and ask your mom if a stranger offered her 1 million dollars if she would have sex with him, so off my lil boy runs to the kitchen and asks mommy for a million dollars would you hump a stranger. She quickly responds i would do just about anything he asks for a million dollars. So my boy all excited runs back to the living room and says yup she would Dad. I then ask him to go upstairs and ask his older sister the very same question so off he runs up the stairs as quick as his lil legs will take him he gets up there and says Mia for 1 million dollars would you do it with a starnger she said I would do it for 500,000 dollars and i would make his wildest dreams come true. So my son returns with a half a smile and gigles as he said yup she will do it too dad. he asks with quite a bit of curiosity what does that have to do with theory and reality.
I responded well son this is what it has to do with theory and reality.
In theory we would be millionaires but in reality we live with 2 ******* sluts.
I know that was a bit long of a story to get my point across, however it is one of my favorite analogies when discussing something like this.

I make my choice on facts, and the facts remain we are not experiancing anything the earth has not experianced in the past 4 billion years period.

Last edited 9/4/08 1:51PM server time by sleevey

Post #15   9/4/08 1:47:38PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>