Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture returns to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 … in Las Vegas

Print  
  Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:4,072-2,207
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Randy just retired. He thought it was Brock LARSON that he was fighting ("That's the only fight that makes sense for me," says the champ).

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #76   9/3/08 12:50:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,116-1,776
Chips:

Posted by BIGKAT

EXACTLY... And people here call themselves TRUE MMA fans. Yet this guy whith a big name who is unporven can come in and get a title shot within less than a year. There are undefeated fighters that haven't even had a title shot yet. There are also the fighters you have mentioned that haven't been given a title shot that are much more deserving.

The funny part to me is that people here seem to like the fact that all dana wanted with this fight was YOUR MONEY. He isn't trying to pit the best against the best, eh's just trying to take your dollar and feed you what he wants you to eat. I don't know about you, but I am not a sheep and I wont be purchasing this bull$hit of a fight. It's beginning to become obvious that some of these figths are just set up (bisping anyone?) with no real intention of finding a true winner, just whoever Dana WANTS to win will win. If you can't see that now, then I don't even know what to tell you. Keep paying for WWE matches, I know I for one will not be. If Brock deserves a chance at a title now, then I guess all I have to do is beat ONE fighter in the UFC and I deserve a title shot too...right?

No...why not? I have a 50% cxhance of winning just like Brock does, so why wouldn't I deserve a title shot with one win? Because of my name? and that makes a difference why? We're not looking for action figures here, we are looking to determine the best fighters in the divisions, and I don't believe Lesnars name should even be mentioned in the same sentence with the best UFC fighters because he hasn't EARNED that right yet, the exact reason I wouldn't get a title shot after ONE win in the UFC, because I haven't earned it yet, and neither has Lesnar.

unless youre 6'4", 280, a multiple time collegiate wrestling champion, incredible athlete, and have beaten a top 20 HW id leave yourself out of this(btw, you have a hell of a lot worse chance than 50%, put down your crack pipe). this isnt just about the name, and ppv buys. sure the buys will be huge and thats a big part of this, but you tell me which HW randy should fight that they could put him against soon because hes older now than when i started typing this, and at his age time is an enemy. every other hw that matters in the ufc either has an upcoming fight or is hurt, so go ahead and convince me that someone else should fight randy(you know him, the guy that was never stripped of the title) genius. anderson silva had just one win and prior to that lost to a flying heel hook, a move that most high level JJ guys cant pull off properly in practice, much less a fight, but hes proven himself to be more than deserving of his title shot not to mention #1 P4P status. if brock beats couture, he will have proven himself too. sure hes green, but he has some serious pluses on his side and if hes the ufc champ by this time next year no one will say he was undeserving so let this play out before getting caught up in the hype machine and your preconceptions 24 hours after this is announced.

Post #77   9/3/08 1:02:26PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
cowcather has some great points.. Regardless of how green he is.. he has a ton of potential.. and is getting better every minute.. This really is a win win for everyone.. Randy geta a fairly serious opponent... can get the ring rust off.. Brock is given his most serious test to date.. Nog get his fight with Mir giving him a good warm up and if Mir wins it shows he is still champ material.. no matter how the dice fall in any of these matches they should all be great and give us the best possible champ its really a win for everyone.. fighters fans and MMA in general..

Post #78   9/3/08 1:56:35PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
This is the biggest load of BS ever!!!

Randy couldn't finish Tim with a bad back. He dominated him, but Big Nog finished him! Not to mention Big Nog has already fought Fedor so it would be a great test for Randy to even see if fighting Fedor is even worth it if he fights Nog. Then Frank Mir beats Lesnar and Lesnar hops over him a for a title shot? Plus Randy should be stripped since it's been over a year without a defense!!!

So pretty much TUF 8 is for the #1 contendership? That has to suck for both Mir and Nog. With that said I'm picking Lesnar by DOMINATION!!! Randy strength is the inside fighting, clinching and stuff. And I don't think he would want to do that with Lesnar. He won't be able to over power Lesnar and hold him up against the cage like he does everybody else except Tim, but he won't take Lesnar down like he did to Tim. If Lesnar would land that same shot he first landed on Herring that made him flip on Randy, I think Randy would have been unconscious. I actually don't see this going very long. I'm gonna say Lesnar KO in the 1st!!! I think Randy will try in clinch and that's when Lesnar will deck him either coming in, drop him and finish him with GNP or Lesnar will just simply keep throwing Randy on his butt and then pound him out shortly after.

You can't count out Randy but Lesnar is just too damn powerful IMO. Good exciting money maker, just kinda unfair.

Post #79   9/3/08 2:01:12PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
For the people bitching about Nog not getting the first shot at Randy:

There is a reason why you don't run the UFC. And that, good sir (or ma'am) is because you couldn't do 1/100th of the job that Dana, Joe Silva, and the Fertittas have done. Do you HONESTLY believe that they aren't going to give the fans what they want? They aren't stupid. But Nog isn't a big enough name to draw as big with Randy right now. Plus, he's involved with TUF which - and this is not a coincidence, because they probably put him on TUF for this exact reason - will give him a name in the sport and will put him in prime position to face the winner of this fight.

Wouldn't you rather have a big, hyped up fight that will only grow the sport instead of Randy coming back to face Nog, and the collective public saying, "Who?" Yes, we all know who Nog is. But he has barely been fighting in the States for a year now, and he's definitely not the top NAME in the HW division right now.

Bottom line, these guys are trying to make money. And who cares if Brock doesn't deserve to fight Randy yet? Just sit back, pop some popcorn, and enjoy the show that these two will put on as you gear yourself up for Turkey Day.

Good day.

Post #80   9/3/08 2:02:01PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

For the people bitching about Nog not getting the first shot at Randy:

There is a reason why you don't run the UFC. And that, good sir (or ma'am) is because you couldn't do 1/100th of the job that Dana, Joe Silva, and the Fertittas have done. Do you HONESTLY believe that they aren't going to give the fans what they want? They aren't stupid. But Nog isn't a big enough name to draw as big with Randy right now. Plus, he's involved with TUF which - and this is not a coincidence, because they probably put him on TUF for this exact reason - will give him a name in the sport and will put him in prime position to face the winner of this fight.

Wouldn't you rather have a big, hyped up fight that will only grow the sport instead of Randy coming back to face Nog, and the collective public saying, "Who?" Yes, we all know who Nog is. But he has barely been fighting in the States for a year now, and he's definitely not the top NAME in the HW division right now.

Bottom line, these guys are trying to make money. And who cares if Brock doesn't deserve to fight Randy yet? Just sit back, pop some popcorn, and enjoy the show that these two will put on as you gear yourself up for Turkey Day.

Good day.

Exactly. Shut up, haters.

Post #81   9/3/08 2:03:56PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BIGKAT

EXACTLY... And people here call themselves TRUE MMA fans. Yet this guy whith a big name who is unporven can come in and get a title shot within less than a year. There are undefeated fighters that haven't even had a title shot yet. There are also the fighters you have mentioned that haven't been given a title shot that are much more deserving.

The funny part to me is that people here seem to like the fact that all dana wanted with this fight was YOUR MONEY. He isn't trying to pit the best against the best, eh's just trying to take your dollar and feed you what he wants you to eat. I don't know about you, but I am not a sheep and I wont be purchasing this bull$hit of a fight. It's beginning to become obvious that some of these figths are just set up (bisping anyone?) with no real intention of finding a true winner, just whoever Dana WANTS to win will win. If you can't see that now, then I don't even know what to tell you. Keep paying for WWE matches, I know I for one will not be. If Brock deserves a chance at a title now, then I guess all I have to do is beat ONE fighter in the UFC and I deserve a title shot too...right?

No...why not? I have a 50% cxhance of winning just like Brock does, so why wouldn't I deserve a title shot with one win? Because of my name? and that makes a difference why? We're not looking for action figures here, we are looking to determine the best fighters in the divisions, and I don't believe Lesnars name should even be mentioned in the same sentence with the best UFC fighters because he hasn't EARNED that right yet, the exact reason I wouldn't get a title shot after ONE win in the UFC, because I haven't earned it yet, and neither has Lesnar.

unless youre 6'4", 280, a multiple time collegiate wrestling champion, incredible athlete, and have beaten a top 20 HW id leave yourself out of this(btw, you have a hell of a lot worse chance than 50%, put down your crack pipe). this isnt just about the name, and ppv buys. sure the buys will be huge and thats a big part of this, but you tell me which HW randy should fight that they could put him against soon because hes older now than when i started typing this, and at his age time is an enemy. every other hw that matters in the ufc either has an upcoming fight or is hurt, so go ahead and convince me that someone else should fight randy(you know him, the guy that was never stripped of the title) genius. anderson silva had just one win and prior to that lost to a flying heel hook, a move that most high level JJ guys cant pull off properly in practice, much less a fight, but hes proven himself to be more than deserving of his title shot not to mention #1 P4P status. if brock beats couture, he will have proven himself too. sure hes green, but he has some serious pluses on his side and if hes the ufc champ by this time next year no one will say he was undeserving so let this play out before getting caught up in the hype machine and your preconceptions 24 hours after this is announced.

Everyone has a 50-50 chance at winning when they enter the octagon. And BTW Herring as a top 20 HW...are you serious bwahahahaaaaaaaaa

Post #82   9/3/08 3:18:42PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TimW001

The UFC is taking over. And I mean it. They signed back Randy, that showing that they willing to negotiate, and sacrifice to a get a fighter. They'll get Fedor in time. They got that Bud Light deal. They got the toy, lighters, clothing etc. etc, deal. And they're going to run Elite XC off CBS. Affliction better bring out their absolute best, because they're competing with the UFC right now.

What did they sacrafice? Randy gets a new contract which they would have given him anyways, and in turn he looks like a fool who refused to fight an mma legend for a year to in turn come back and face an mma novice. The UFC will not get Fedor, Fedor may come for one fight but he will not give up sambo.

Obviously they gave up something. Because Randy left because he wanted X. If the UFC in the first place gave him X, he wouldn't have left. To bring him back they gave him X.

X = Fedor
they gave him Y
Y = load of sellout money

Post #83   9/3/08 3:28:14PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,116-1,776
Chips:

Posted by BIGKAT

Everyone has a 50-50 chance at winning when they enter the octagon. And BTW Herring as a top 20 HW...are you serious bwahahahaaaaaaaaa

i dont usually say this to people on here, but you are an idiot if you think its a 50-50 shot if an average joe was to get into the octagon. a complete idiot. also id love to hear your 20 HWs that are ahead of heath herring. did i mention that anyone that thinks a fight is always 50-50 is an idiot? steven hawking vs brock lesnar=50-50 chance to win. idiotic idiots are the only ones that would think thats true.

Post #84   9/3/08 3:53:40PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BIGKAT

i dont usually say this to people on here, but you are an idiot if you think its a 50-50 shot if an average joe was to get into the octagon. a complete idiot. also id love to hear your 20 HWs that are ahead of heath herring. did i mention that anyone that thinks a fight is always 50-50 is an idiot? steven hawking vs brock lesnar=50-50 chance to win. idiotic idiots are the only ones that would think thats true.

Agreed.

IQ's around here today are at an all-time low.

Post #85   9/3/08 4:11:57PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by postman

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by Bowen50

Randy is the king of gameplans

Urban legend IMO

You really think so why?

His game plans for Chuck worked 1 out of 3...Barney and Ricco demolished him. Yeah he did well against Tim and GG but GG quits when he gets hit and we all saw what Fedor did to Tim.

How about everyone else at his gym he has taken some guys that most gave no shot to win and shocked alot of ppl. I was not on the Internet sites much before his return but was he really labled the master game plan man before his comeback with Tim? I remeber everyone talking about how he has trouble with bigger guys and that Tim was going to knock him out then after the fight everyone was saying that with age he is learning to gameplan for fighters better. Just my take could be wrong.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #86   9/3/08 5:44:14PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BIGKAT

Agreed.

IQ's around here today are at an all-time low.

All time low, and i bet Brock lesner vs couture for the title when nog holds the belt is the best way forward for MMA and the system put in place to give title shots ???? If you think this is a good move, your new to MMA and don't really know whats about to happen.
I can't wait to hear sherdog's joss gross opinion on this one, most seem to respect his MMA views and knowledge, he will put it plain simple english.

Last edited 9/3/08 6:57PM server time by keith-hackney1
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #87   9/3/08 6:48:56PM   

palaceonballas

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Couture is the man and that is all there is to it

Post #88   9/5/08 9:22:59PM   

Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6