Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MACHIDA THE NEXT LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Undefeated light heavyweight Lyoto Machida quietly entered the Ultimate Fighting Championship in December of 2006 as an asset of the defunct World Fighting Alliance and quickly became the dark horse of his weight division. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz begrudgingly fought the last fight of his contract against Machida at UFC 84 in May and was sent packing by the Brazilian’s methodical attack. Casual fans finally took notice of Machida’s threat.

His methodical nature is a blessing and a curse. The UFC’s marquee division is short on undefeated contenders – everyone has a blemish on their record. But Machida’s patient, karate-infused style, along with his native Portugese tounge, has not made him an easy subject to market, or an easy fighter to book. He remains the aficionado’s choice of light heavyweights.

Machida’s next challenge is against Thiago Silva at UFC 89 on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England. Silva, another wrecking ball of a Brazilian with Machida’s 13-0 record, has torn through all but one of his four UFC opponents with strikes. It’s a good fight for Machida, but manager Ed Soares said he expected his client to get a title shot after defeating Ortiz.

LINK

Post #1   8/31/08 2:12:57AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well thiago will beat machida.

Plus machida shouldnt have been considered for a title shot after beating a some what top contender in tito ortiz. I mean jon fitch had to get 8 wins and fight a couple of contenders for his title shot.

Post #2   8/31/08 2:27:19AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Defeating Tito nowadays doesn't gaurentee any thing....especially a title shot. Now a good victory over T. Silva most definately could....I don't think it's going to happen though. I got Silva on this one, even though he did look mighty soft before his last fight.

Post #3   8/31/08 4:01:09AM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Machida will Skool Silva just wait an see.

Post #4   8/31/08 5:56:38AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
It doesnt really matter, he cant beat Wanderlie, Chuck, Forrest, or Rampage....let him be a contender...because he is'nt gettin the belt.

Post #5   8/31/08 9:08:53AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think he will get his shot after the lidell/forrest fight in dec

Post #6   8/31/08 10:35:24AM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i can't go against Machida in the Thiago fight. i have picked against Machida in all of his fights in the UFC i think and every time it has went against me haha. i'm going with Machida Round 3 TKO, i just think he's going to come out fired up looking to prove he's the real deal and deliver a finish this time around.

Post #7   8/31/08 11:11:51AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
will be funny to see all this belt hope vanishes after Thiago KOs him

Post #8   8/31/08 11:57:00AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

It doesnt really matter, he cant beat Wanderlie, Chuck, Forrest, or Rampage....let him be a contender...because he is'nt gettin the belt.

Why can't he beat any of these people... i think people forget what sport we're talking about. ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE. It doesn't matter what style you have or who trains you, once that cage is closed it is just you and the guy standing across from you (ref obviously not included) and that's it. Anyone can knock anyone else out, anyone can get a sub over anyone else, just a matter of proper preparation, training, diet, and hopefully absence of injury. Machida's style will prove a lot of people wrong, regardless of if he gets a title shot or even wears the belt, i think he has the potential to wear the LHW strap and whats more keep it for a long time if he does get it.

Post #9   8/31/08 12:22:08PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well thiago will beat machida.

Plus machida shouldnt have been considered for a title shot after beating a some what top contender in tito ortiz. I mean jon fitch had to get 8 wins and fight a couple of contenders for his title shot.

Twenty20Dollars do you want to make it a AV bet?????????

Post #10   8/31/08 2:27:05PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by jakeiceman

Why can't he beat any of these people... i think people forget what sport we're talking about. ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE. It doesn't matter what style you have or who trains you, once that cage is closed it is just you and the guy standing across from you (ref obviously not included) and that's it. Anyone can knock anyone else out, anyone can get a sub over anyone else, just a matter of proper preparation, training, diet, and hopefully absence of injury. Machida's style will prove a lot of people wrong, regardless of if he gets a title shot or even wears the belt, i think he has the potential to wear the LHW strap and whats more keep it for a long time if he does get it.

Hey I completely agree man its MMA no doubt. I didnt say Machida was'nt any good, we just have not seen him fight anyone who is proven other than Tito and quite frankly I was not impressed (please dont bring up the Franklin or BJ fights from years ago). I am just saying, I think those that I listed are proven, and are not stupid enough to fall into his tag your it style...

P.S I put a Machida fight on the tube last night because I couldnt sleep..... worked like a charm....I havent slept that well in a while!

Last edited 8/31/08 9:16PM server time by jakeiceman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/31/08 9:15:52PM   

WrestlersAssassin

MMA Regular

WrestlersAssassin Avatar

Career:153-86
Chips:
I dont care whos LH champ I only see Wand being able to stop Machida, until somebody figures out his style which nobody has since theres still people bashing him and fighters still cant do anything with him, he will probably stay undefeated for a long time. He might be an unpopular champ but with all do respect people should respect all fighters ready to get in there and win fights with there own style. Mixed Martial Arts appreciation is understanding all angles of the fight game. Hes effective, period.

Post #12   8/31/08 11:28:13PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by jakeiceman

Hey I completely agree man its MMA no doubt. I didnt say Machida was'nt any good, we just have not seen him fight anyone who is proven other than Tito and quite frankly I was not impressed (please dont bring up the Franklin or BJ fights from years ago). I am just saying, I think those that I listed are proven, and are not stupid enough to fall into his tag your it style...

P.S I put a Machida fight on the tube last night because I couldnt sleep..... worked like a charm....I havent slept that well in a while!

The fact that you hate Machidas style and love Chucks style tells me all I need to know about you. I think you only bash Machida so much because you know that he would school your boy Chuck.

Post #13   9/1/08 8:47:17AM