Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Open To Bringing Tito Ortiz Back To UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC president Dana White and Tito Ortiz have had a very public very intense battle of words in which they have both personally attacked one another. At one point Ortiz stated that he would never fight for the UFC again; however, that statement was made before Ortiz spoke with other organizations about fighting outside of the UFC. He has yet to sign with any of them and now appears to be negotiating with the UFC again.

"As part of his contract, he goes out and ... I don't know, something to do with his contract, but he's still got his foot in the door with his contract," White told USA Today. "As part of our business practice in this crazy world these days, we — let me think how I can word this to you. I always say, we make this thing look a lot easier than it really is, and we're definitely not going to make it easy for anybody else. We're going to make things tough for other people."

White went on to confirm that the UFC has negotiating rights with Ortiz which would make it difficult for other organizations to sign him.

"Yup, and I'm going take them."

Despite what's been said, White feels that the two can work together professionally, even if they don't see eye to eye personally.

"Listen, me and Tito didn't say anything worse than what we said before he came back and became a coach on The Ultimate Fighter. Tito and I do not like each other. We do not. It's 100% real, we don't like each other at all, but it doesn't mean we haven't done business together before."

Link

Post #1   8/28/08 4:01:47PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
lmao if this happens why would tito do it he has to no that theres no way hell ever ever ever get a shot at the title who can he beat unless he drops to mW

Post #2   8/28/08 4:04:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i thought tito already signed with afflication

Post #3   8/28/08 4:11:27PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
who cares about tito anymore?....i could care less were he fights, i dont want to watch him unless i have too on and undercard......but hes a burnt match, no more spark to him

Post #4   8/28/08 4:25:38PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
this is really funny to me. all the talk from dana and tito saying that tito will never be in the ufc again, and then reading this. i guess the grass isn't greener on the other side mr. ortiz. i hope he stays in the ufc, i still love watching him.

Post #5   8/28/08 4:46:58PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
It seems like he's been trying to get signed with Affiction, but Dana continues to find the fine print. I'm assuming there's some non-competition clause written in ome random corner of the contract. It's like some of the UFC's contracts go on indefinetely, and someone needs to hire a lawyer to go over these things.

It's a bunch of crap. Fighters might start becoming very wary of signing contracts with the UFC because if you decide to leave they seem to somehow get stipulations that ut your career on hold for enormous amounts of time.

I don't think they're even trying to resign Ortiz, they're just keeping him from earning a living anywhere else. Business is business, but this is a dirty tactic. Stop being a weasle and let the guy get on with his career.

Last edited 8/28/08 4:49PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/28/08 4:48:17PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i thought tito already signed with afflication

UFC has the option to counter any offer that comes his way.

Post #7   8/28/08 5:25:29PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I don't see him at MW maybe HW. I don't think Tito cares about Titles so much as Money.

Post #8   8/28/08 9:11:09PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

It seems like he's been trying to get signed with Affiction, but Dana continues to find the fine print. I'm assuming there's some non-competition clause written in ome random corner of the contract. It's like some of the UFC's contracts go on indefinetely, and someone needs to hire a lawyer to go over these things.

It's a bunch of crap. Fighters might start becoming very wary of signing contracts with the UFC because if you decide to leave they seem to somehow get stipulations that ut your career on hold for enormous amounts of time.

I don't think they're even trying to resign Ortiz, they're just keeping him from earning a living anywhere else. Business is business, but this is a dirty tactic. Stop being a weasle and let the guy get on with his career.

Did you read the interview or just spewing UFC hate. All Dana is saying is they have the right to counter any offer given to Tito. This isn't a bad thing for Tito in fact its a good thing because it drives his worth up. They aren't trying to keep Tito from fighting they are just making sure that if the price is right they can keep him in their company. Tito is a big draw even if he isn't the same fighter he once was and the UFC knows this so he still is worth a lot to the UFC. If they can keep another org from using a fighter they built up by paying him more than the other company is willing to then so be it.

Posted by postman
I don't see him at MW maybe HW. I don't think Tito cares about Titles so much as Money.

Well I think Tito has a big enough ego that not having a tittle is eating at him. But I also think your right I think he cares more about money than anything.

Last edited 8/29/08 12:11AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/29/08 12:08:23AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
I hate Tito's mouth and his ego.....other than that I love to watch him fight. He has actually had some modest and respectable moments in the UFC. And if he fought with the desperation that he had in the last round with Machida.....he could definately make waves again. I mean holy shit that triangle/armbar came out of nowhere, I literally went ape shit hoping he could finish the fight. Face it, love him or hate him, he is good for the UFC and is usually an exciting fighter to watch.

Post #10   8/29/08 12:20:59AM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
why not bring tito back. there are some good fights for him still in the ufc- wand, shogun, t.silva, soku, jardine, vera, bonnar, evans maybe even franklin or hendo.

Post #11   8/29/08 12:48:00AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Tito is all about making money in his last few years of competition imo.

He will do that a lot easier outside of the UFC.

Post #12   8/29/08 1:30:14AM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
Hey, Tito!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #13   8/29/08 1:52:34AM