Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Trigg ready for Falaniko Vitale (and Cung Le and Frank Shamrock)

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

After suffering little damage in his unanimous-decision victory over Makoto Takimoto at this past weekend's Sengoku 4 event, veteran middleweight fighter Frank Trigg (17-6) expects a proposed Oct. 3 Strikeforce bout with Falaniko Vitale (26-8) to go on as planned.

With less than seven weeks separating the bouts, and with his wife due to give birth literally any day now, Trigg wasn't initially sure if competing at the upcoming Strikeforce event would be a possibility.

However, he recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's ready for the fight -- and future bouts with Strikeforce world middleweight champ Cung Le (6-0) and former title-holder Frank Shamrock (23-9-2).

"I'm more tired than anything," Trigg said of his victory over Olympic gold medalist Takimoto. "My ear is a little torn up. He caught me with a good right hook early. It just bled a lot, but it wasn't really hurt or anything."

Now, Trigg will focus on the hard-hitting and, as he calls him, "very dangerous" Vitale. The Hawaiian fighter has won five of his past six fights with all but one of the victories coming via strikes. The Trigg-Vitale fight is expected to be the co-main event at "Strikeforce: Payback," which takes place Oct. 3 at the Broomfield Event Center near Denver.

Trigg, a former UFC and PRIDE fighter who turned 36 back in May, knows Father Time is casting a shadow on all his upcoming bouts. The clock is ticking, yet a series of fights fell through to create a recent eight-month layoff from competition. The Las Vegas-based Xtreme Couture fighter is now anxious to pick up the pace.

With his recently inked Strikeforce deal, Trigg is aiming for a bout with Le, the undefeated former San Shou kickboxer who beat Shamrock for the Strikeforce title back in March. As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, Strikeforce officials expect Le's burgeoning acting career to keep the fighter sidelined until early next year.

There's also been talk of a potential Trigg-Shamrock fight with Strikeforce. That fight -- and one with Le -- had been discussed at various times during the past 18 months, but they never panned out. Trigg said he want both fights in the next year, though the order makes no difference.

"Which one of the two do I want to fight first?" Trigg asked of Le and Shamrock. "If both are in my future, who cares? It doesn't make much of a difference."

However, both Strikeforce and World Victory Road are anxious for him to fight another opponent: Kazuo Misaki (20-8-2). Like Trigg, Misaki is also signed to both organizations, and since losing to Trigg at PRIDE 33, Misaki has been vocal about wanting a rematch.

"If he wants to go again, that's fine," Trigg said. "I'll be happy to beat him again."

Given the way their contracts were drawn up, Trigg expects the Misaki fight to take place in Japan under the WVR banner.

So, if everything works out as planned, Trigg could spend the next year fighting Vitale, Le, Shamrock and Misaki.

Outside of the UFC, you'd be hard pressed to find a tougher line-up.

"No one said it's going to be easy," Trigg said.

Post #1   8/26/08 5:46:15PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
shamrock vs trigg would be awesome...i see trigg beating le in a boring fight...but shamrock would be exciting....who cares if misaki wants a rematch, hes a boring fighter and theyre fight was too, he lost and needs to move on...plus hes got joe riggs to deal with, thats not the easiest fight in the world either

Post #2   8/26/08 5:58:11PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
yeah i was thinking the same thing about frank t. and frank s. would be a good fight.

Last edited 8/26/08 6:23PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/26/08 6:23:10PM