Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Avoiding Conflict

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
KJ Noons may not be a coward, but he’s doing an awfully good impression of one.

The latest temper tantrum -- a pastime nearly as popular as the sport itself -- to hit media sites has been between Noons’ employer, EliteXC parent company ProElite, and Noons’ manager, Mark Dion, who insists proposed opponent Nick Diaz isn’t a credible contender for an Oct. 4 defense of Noons’ EliteXC lightweight title on CBS.

(The very same title he won against Diaz, a fact that incites a paradox of Dion’s claim: If Diaz isn’t a worthy opponent, what worth does Noons’ belt possess? Doc Brown warned us about this kind of thing.)

This stalemate was preceded earlier by Noons’ apathetic response to pestering about his seemingly inevitable rematch with Diaz. To paraphrase: I’ve beaten him once, so why do it again? I’m in no rush.

But you should be, Mr. Noons. You should be.

If there’s one thing MMA can finally offer after 15 years of its stubborn existence, it’s hindsight: If you don’t do the money match now, it’s going to slip right through your Ouano-laced fingers.

Back in 2003, the UFC thought it could “build” to a marquee match between Ken Shamrock and David "Tank" Abbott. Unfortunately, both went virtually winless in the Octagon, and the polished veneer of that fight chipped off like paint with no primer.

But it’s more than just the loss of a potentially incendiary fight. Barely in diapers in his MMA career, Noons was being offered the Holy Grail of anyone coveting mass exposure: a slot on primetime network television. A fight on CBS, regardless of the result, would give Noons an instant level of recognition that could be parlayed into any number of opportunities: endorsements, sponsorships, acting, seminars, etc.

Put another way, product advertisers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars securing pithy ad time on networks in an effort to marinate viewer brains in their product. Dion’s product is Noons, and instead of paying out the nose for the exposure, ProElite would be paying him -- and so would sponsors eager to get their logos captured by CBS’ high-definition cameras.

I’m not a business major, but that doesn’t sound too bad.

Link

Post #1   8/25/08 7:50:05AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Post #2   8/25/08 10:39:40AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
A damn good article. Thanks for bringing it up.

Post #3   8/25/08 11:07:20AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Duck Duck Duck can't the company force him to face Diaz...

Post #4   8/25/08 12:23:13PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
Theres really no way around it, Noons is scared of losing his belt to Diaz. With good reason, I might add.

My guess is the belt is actually in a pawn shop & Noons is afraid when he loses it he wouldn't be able to produce it so they can strap it on Diaz' waist.

The article was excellent & quite well written with alot of very good and unavoidable facts that I'm sure Noony & his manager really wish hadnt been brought up. Thx for sharing.

T777

Post #5   8/25/08 12:39:01PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
great article, noons knows the last fight he got lucky. diaz always takes some shots early on in fights, and he usually weathers the storm and takes over when his opponent gets tired.

Post #6   8/25/08 2:10:24PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
What exactly does Dion tell his guys to make them believe they are doing whats best for their career in situations like this.

Assuming he's the reason behind the avoidance.

Post #7   8/25/08 2:43:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

great article, noons knows the last fight he got lucky. diaz always takes some shots early on in fights, and he usually weathers the storm and takes over when his opponent gets tired.

BS, Noons was destroying Diaz in their fight and would have finished it had the ref not put a stop to it.

Post #8   8/25/08 10:44:24PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by nickcuc547

BS, Noons was destroying Diaz in their fight and would have finished it had the ref not put a stop to it.

and i actually think Noons would win the rematch which is why this whole situation is confusing to me

Post #9   8/25/08 11:12:29PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
aav bet when it happens?

Post #10   8/25/08 11:59:29PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by warglory

Posted by nickcuc547

and i actually think Noons would win the rematch which is why this whole situation is confusing to me

The only way noons wins the rematch is if diaz is stupid enough to try and box him again. I don't see that happening again though.

Post #11   8/26/08 12:11:14AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

The only way noons wins the rematch is if diaz is stupid enough to try and box him again. I don't see that happening again though.

well what take down ability do you think DIaz has to get the fight to the ground? he has some of the worst take downs in MMA, i don't see him getting this to his world.

Post #12   8/26/08 5:10:45PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

well what take down ability do you think DIaz has to get the fight to the ground? he has some of the worst take downs in MMA, i don't see him getting this to his world.

Well im not saying hes gonna get noons down on his first take down attempt, but when he does get this fight to the ground its over before it started.

I mean Diaz only went for 1 or 2 takedowns in that fight vs noons and it happened after he realized he might of took the fight too lightly. Its not the first time diaz has lost a match he should of won.

Post #13   8/27/08 8:18:17AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Well im not saying hes gonna get noons down on his first take down attempt, but when he does get this fight to the ground its over before it started.

I mean Diaz only went for 1 or 2 takedowns in that fight vs noons and it happened after he realized he might of took the fight too lightly. Its not the first time diaz has lost a match he should of won.

He "should" have won? Why, because he was more known than Noons? You are starting to sound like the Elite XC promotional team.

Post #14   8/28/08 6:41:45PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by nickcuc547

Well I don't know your definition of destroying is (because that was far from it) but I have seen Diaz take a LOT worse and still win. I don't think Noons has the tools to beat Diaz in a fight and I don't think he would have won the first fight if it wasn't for it getting stopped because of a cut.

Post #15   8/28/08 11:07:20PM