Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Voice your opinion on MMA rules & procedures

Print  
Which of these issues needs the most attention?
Strikes to the back of the head 6 17%
Downward elbow strikes (thought this was addressed already) 1 3%
Knees to the head of a grounded opponent 12 33%
Scoring 17 47%
Weight classes 0 0%
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I recently spoke with Nick Lembo, the legal counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board and recently appointed chairperson of the Association of Boxing Commissioners' MMA committee, which includes representatives from all the major sanctioning bodies.

Mr. Lembo is in the process of gathering input from those within the MMA industry, as well as the media and fans of the sport, to help guide the committee on important decisions that will affect the rules of MMA.

That includes you, our CBSSports.com readers.

Mr. Lembo asks that readers submit their opinions and comments in writing, no later than September 17, 2008. Comments should be mailed to the following address:

DAG Nicholas Lembo
NJ State Athletic Control Board
Hughes Justice Complex
P.O. Box 180
Trenton, NJ 08625-0180

The committee is reviewing the unified rules of MMA for potential changes, most notably the amendments discussed at the ABC Convention in Montreal in July. Key areas of discussion include, but are not limited to:

* Strikes to the back of the head (more specifically, the question of how wide the foul area is... this would be the "headphones" interpretation vs. the "mohawk" interpretation).
* Downward elbow strikes
* Knees to the head of a grounded opponent
* Scoring
* Weight classes

Lembo told me he welcomes comments on all aspects of the rules, so if you have an issue you would like the committee to address other than those listed above, by all means, include it. You never know -- if others have the same feedback, you could inspire change for the better in this still-evolving sport.

Link

Post #1   8/22/08 9:01:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
scoring. hands down.

Post #2   8/22/08 9:06:00PM   

Mr_Dead_Sexy

MMA Regular

Mr_Dead_Sexy Avatar

Career:2,562-1,446
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
Scoring, without a doubt. The debate on "getting a takedown but controlling/doing nothing or being active from the bottom, which scores higher?" needs to be settled definitively.

Post #3   8/22/08 10:13:37PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I agree with the scoring that currently has fighters like sherk winning fights by taking his opponent down and laying on them even though the guy on the bottom(florian, franca) are doing way more damage from the bottom then sherk on top. This needs to be checked

Post #4   8/22/08 10:37:55PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
The recent huge change to calls regarding strikes to the back of the head really irks me.
I know we want to keep the fighters' safety paramount, but come on. You are stepping into a cage to fight another person.

I wouldn't have a problem except that it changes the defense in a fight. Fighters (ie.. Herring) will just start to turtle up with only the back of their head exposed since they know they cannot get hit there. I think this causes more fights to go to decision.

Post #5   8/23/08 12:34:59AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I think scoring over all is what needs to be changed the most.. the rest just need to have the rules set there is too much loose inturpatation on them it needs to be standarized across the board..

Post #6   8/23/08 10:15:51AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Scoring needs the most work.

Post #7   8/23/08 10:21:21AM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
i said scoring, with back of the head secong.
if the scoring gets improved (which it should) we'll either see a) alto less wrestlers in mma 2) wrestlers not doing as well, or c) wrestlers really evolving using their wrestling as a base to build of off......lay and pray would be a ting of the past.

(i used wrestlers most, because i think they benefit most from the current rules, but obviously they need a complete overhall, to include all kicks, sub attempts and reversals, transitions etc....)

Post #8   8/23/08 10:33:24AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
The only reason I didn't go with scoring is because it is less of an issue for me compared to the whole "back of the head" thing.

I generally don't feel sorry for fighters that let it go to the score cards.
The last fight I can think of where the judges really screwed the pooch was the Bisping/Hammill fight.

Another thing on my list would be to get some consistency on when a fight should be stopped. I feel jipped every time there is an early stoppage.

Post #9   8/23/08 11:15:34AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by stock

The only reason I didn't go with scoring is because it is less of an issue for me compared to the whole "back of the head" thing.

I generally don't feel sorry for fighters that let it go to the score cards.
The last fight I can think of where the judges really screwed the pooch was the Bisping/Hammill fight.

Another thing on my list would be to get some consistency on when a fight should be stopped. I feel jipped every time there is an early stoppage.

Hammill had that fight all the way in my opinionbut an overhaul on the scoring system would adjust how fighters actually come into the fight.. the only thing I don't want to see is a fighter rewarded for aggression if he is getting picked apart as that rule goes against counter strikers.. so it will be a hard thing to set properly.. someone like machida who uses precision strikes but is backing away alot is not in essence running.. he in most of his fights i have seen is still in control cause his opponent is doing exactly what machida wants ...

Post #10   8/23/08 4:43:39PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
I do agree that the scoring system should be revised for sure but i also believe we should allow knees to the face. It would of made a huge difference in the Herring/Lesnar fight doesn't matter if you block the knees of not they will do damage. The fight would of went to the decision

Post #11   8/23/08 6:59:06PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Scoring is definitely the most in need of change. It's like the refs have zero understanding of grappling. They consistently reward fighters for just maintaining position on top, no matter how many submission attempts the guy on the bottom throws in an attempt to finish the fight.

Post #12   8/23/08 11:58:41PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
All of these need to be addressed.
My opinion is headphones for back of head. I like the vertical elbow strikes rule that was adated, knees to the head of a grounded opponent should be allowed, just not stomps or sccer kicks. Wieght classes as per UFC/Wec. Lastly the sticky scoring rules. I don't think it's as much of a problem as people think. Having some sort of protocal for judges and referees is though....they need to get on the same page!

Post #13   8/24/08 2:14:08PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
If knees and kicks are put back in place we need to worry about things like scoring much less. More clean ko's less dec's etc.

Post #14   8/24/08 3:25:40PM   

Bumpy

MMA Regular

Bumpy Avatar

Career:792-598
Chips:
Scoring I think has always been a problem.

Post #15   9/4/08 5:50:23PM