Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chuck Liddell Wants Title Shot After UFC 88

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight titleholder Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell takes on undefeated "Sugar" Rashad Evans at UFC 88 at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta. If Liddell wins, he wants an opportunity to regain the title against current champion Forrest Griffin.

Liddell is confident that a win over Evans on Sept. 6 will result in a title shot. "I think it should," he told MMAWeekly.com. "I think I should have a shot at him. I don't see why I wouldn't. Who else sells as much? But I'll fight whoever.

"I think it seems to make sense for (the UFC). But that's not something I concern myself with right now. I've got to get past Rashad before any of that makes any sense."

Fans have shown interest in seeing him against UFC middleweight titleholder Anderson "The Spider" Silva, but Liddell made it clear what fight he wants if he's victorious against Evans. "I want the title shot, of course," said the former champion. "I'd like to get that and everybody else can fall in after that."

Liddell gained the UFC light heavyweight crown by defeating Randy "The Natural" "Couture at UFC 52 in April of 2005 and held the belt for more than two years. He defended the title four times before being dethroned by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 71.

Post #1   8/22/08 8:23:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Chucky is going to get a shot at the title. If he beats rashad and even if machida beats thiago silva, the next title shot is going to chuck. One because forrest vs chuck can sell way better than machida vs forrest. Chuck and forrest were both on TUF 1, student vs coach.

Post #2   8/22/08 8:27:43PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
As long as he wins, he'll get it.

Post #3   8/22/08 8:33:48PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Yeah, I don't see anyone else getting a shot before him if he wins this fight. I think Machida is starting to realize he needs to pick the pace up and finish fights because the UFC really isn't going to want to have him as champion with his style.

Post #4   8/22/08 8:33:58PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
if machida wins chuck doesn't deserve the shot, but he will get it anyways.

Post #5   8/22/08 8:48:49PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
He will get it.

Post #6   8/22/08 8:50:21PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Dana will give it to him if he wins. It sucks for Machida. If he beats T. Silva and still has to wait in line for a title shot after Chuck. I think this could be bad. He more than deserves it, and people would like to see it. If this does happen, Machida better get the winner of Chuck vs Forrest a.s.a.p.

Post #7   8/22/08 10:17:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think machida should get next shot but he will get the okami screw special instead chuck does have senority and dana's ass in his pocket so get your title back and then face machida buddy!!!!!!!!!

Post #8   8/22/08 10:57:43PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think machida should get next shot but he will get the okami screw special instead chuck does have senority and dana's ass in his pocket so get your title back and then face machida buddy!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Okami got screwed. I'm pretty sure he was injured. Also, while it is arguable if Chuck deserves a shot after beating Evans it's still going to happen. Chuck vs. Forrest is the big PPV. Money makes the world go round. You know, cash rules everything around me, cream, get the money. Dolla dolla bill ya'll.

Post #9   8/22/08 11:29:10PM   

MikeyG

Standup Guy

MikeyG Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:
This is good news that he is being arrogant overlooking Rashad, coming in overconfident seems to work against you. I dont really like either guy but I cant get enough of watching Rampage / Liddell 2 so hopefully its like that. More realistically if Rashad were to win it'd be by GnP like Randy / Liddell 1 or like the Jardine fight, and if he beats Rashad, Forrest will pick him apart anyway. Out with the old and in with the new, it comes with the territory. Chuck will never hold the LH belt again, I hope he moves up if he indeed keeps fighting in the next 2-3 years.

Post #10   8/22/08 11:46:16PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Machida will lose to Thiago so Chuck will get it anyways

Post #11   8/23/08 2:12:22AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Forrest will "pick" him apart huh??? Ha ha thats pretty funny. I'm a big fan of both but Forrest wont pick him apart. Forrest is a smart fighter yes but even his revamped style is vulnerable to a guy like Liddell. I agree that Liddell better not look past Evans, its just a stupid move and he has killed me by doing it before (Jardine). I hope Chuck and Forrest do fight because it will be a fight that I will actually root for both guys.

This topic has suprised me, I figured there would be more haters flaming Liddell for no odd reason....but I'm guessing its only a matter of time.

I think Machida probably deserves a title shot more than Liddell but I agree with what was said about the UFC not wanting a boring Machida holding the title. Either way its a great time to be an MMA fan especially in the LHW division.

And yes....Liddell will hold the LHW title again....its just a matter of time.

Post #12   8/23/08 7:24:01AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Okami got injured... If he were healthy he would be fighting Anderson before Cote. He didn't get screwed at all.

Anyway, sure Machida has a great record, but he still needs to beat a top contender before he should really get a title shot. I think he's definitely close, but I don't think beating Tito and Sokoudjou should send you straight to a title shot. He should still have to face one of the top5 or 6 contenders and get a win before getting a title shot. Neither of those guys are really considered top10, at least not unanimously, and most who would put either of them in the top10 would have to put them at 10th or 9th at best.

I think for a titleshot at LHW you should have to gain a victory over at least one of the following: Rampage, Chuck, Wanderlei, Henderson, Jardine, Evans. I would even say maybe 2 depending on which ones and what kind of performance you put on. (not necessarily that it's exciting, but whether it was close or not) For example I don't think beating Rashad should be enough to send someone to a titleshot, but beating Rashad AND Wanderlei both in impressive fashion would definitely warrant a titleshot more than beating Tito and Sokoudjou would.

I don't think it's about how many wins you string together as much as it is about who you get your wins against and how impressively you get them. I actually think that Chuck deserves the shot more than Lyoto. We also traditionally give defeated champions a shot to get their title back if they string a couple of wins together against top10 competition, which is what chuck will have done if he wins.

Post #13   8/23/08 7:41:15AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
why shouldnt Chuck get a shot? He just beat Wandy, and if he beats Rashad, hes gotta have it. Machida recently has beaten Sokodjou (overrated) and Tito. Tito was a good win, but Chuck beating Wandy was bigger.

Although I think Chuck is the one that can stop Forrest, Forrest by KO round 3

If its Machida vs Forrest, I got Forrest Round 5 decision, that shoulda been a 5K run after Machida.

Post #14   8/23/08 7:54:02AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Okami got injured... If he were healthy he would be fighting Anderson before Cote. He didn't get screwed at all.

Anyway, sure Machida has a great record, but he still needs to beat a top contender before he should really get a title shot. I think he's definitely close, but I don't think beating Tito and Sokoudjou should send you straight to a title shot. He should still have to face one of the top5 or 6 contenders and get a win before getting a title shot. Neither of those guys are really considered top10, at least not unanimously, and most who would put either of them in the top10 would have to put them at 10th or 9th at best.

I think for a titleshot at LHW you should have to gain a victory over at least one of the following: Rampage, Chuck, Wanderlei, Henderson, Jardine, Evans. I would even say maybe 2 depending on which ones and what kind of performance you put on. (not necessarily that it's exciting, but whether it was close or not) For example I don't think beating Rashad should be enough to send someone to a titleshot, but beating Rashad AND Wanderlei both in impressive fashion would definitely warrant a titleshot more than beating Tito and Sokoudjou would.

I don't think it's about how many wins you string together as much as it is about who you get your wins against and how impressively you get them. I actually think that Chuck deserves the shot more than Lyoto. We also traditionally give defeated champions a shot to get their title back if they string a couple of wins together against top10 competition, which is what chuck will have done if he wins.

should've just quoted u, im wit ya 100%

Post #15   8/23/08 7:55:01AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2