Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: Dan Henderson is pissed

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

“I think this is a good match up for me. I’m going to be the guy that’s a lot more dangerous on my feet and it’s somewhere he doesn’t want to be with me. So it’s going to be his task to get me into his world on the ground. I’m not the easiest guy to take down, you know—so the determining factor of the fight is who can defend takedowns, who can get their takedown and if I can knock him out coming in or whatever. [Pretty] much all Palhares has is submissions. I try to come up with a game plan not to fight right in the guy’s strengths, so obviously I’m going to be trying to stay up on my feet with him. I just see myself knocking him out. I was pretty pissed at my last performance and I’m probably going to be a little bit pissed when I go out there and fight this guy. I’m ready to do a 15-minute grappling match with him if I have to, but I’m not going to lose.”

– Former PRIDE champion Dan “Hollywood” Henderson talks to UFC.com about fighting grappling phenom Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares at UFC 88 in Atlanta, Georgia on September 6. “Hendo” has his back against the wall after dropping his first two UFC matches (against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 75 and Anderson Silva at UFC 82). Has time run out on the 37 year-old superstar? Or is he going to wreak havoc on the up-and-coming Palhares? We’ll know soon enough.

Post #1   8/22/08 12:59:03PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
hendo is going to own this guy, palhares is going to be a great fighter, but he is not where close to hendo's league right now, can't wait to see hendo back at the top of his game.

Post #2   8/22/08 1:14:50PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Nice. Hearing Dan say he's going to keep it on the feet makes me feel a little safer about my pick. As long as he doesn't get too wild on his feet he should be able to keep it standing.

If Palhares does get Dan to the ground I think he's going to be in a lot of trouble. Obviously Dan is great on the ground as well, but Palhares is so slick on the ground I think he'd eventually catch him.

It would be much like the recent bout between Jason MacDonald vs Demian Maia with Dan's corner calling out, "Damnit Dan, do not take him down!"

Last edited 8/22/08 1:27PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/22/08 1:26:03PM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

hendo is going to own this guy, palhares is going to be a great fighter, but he is not where close to hendo's league right now, can't wait to see hendo back at the top of his game.

I disagree here - I see hendo going home with loss number 3 in a row...

Post #4   8/22/08 1:27:10PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I have only seen that one sub by Palhares and while it was very smooth its not the most technical sub I ever saw. I think he will be good in time but to think he will beat Dan after one good proformance is really going out on a limb.

Post #5   8/22/08 1:42:15PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i am getting so pumped for this fight. i can't wait to see Hendo fight again. Hendo via Round 1 Vicious KO

Post #6   8/22/08 1:47:17PM   

MikeyG

Standup Guy

MikeyG Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:
Hendo has everything to lose in this fight, possibly his career in the UFC is at stake, Palharres is going to have to choke him unconscious. I would be pissed if I was Dan too losing both Pride belts especially to Quinton who Wand owned twice, Dan had to work hard for those belts and in 2 fights hes already back to the drawing board and possibly out the door. I'm 95% sure Dan is going to win, Palharres is going to have to survive the onslaught and somehow take down the stronger and more experienced Hendo and I dont think he will.

Post #7   8/22/08 2:26:56PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
Henderson is going to be even more pissed when he gets armbarred in the first round

Post #8   8/22/08 2:57:22PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Henderson is going to be even more pissed when he gets armbarred in the first round

I don't ever see Henderson getting armbarred or even submitted by Palhares. Henderson is a Greco Roman Wrestler so it won't be hard for him to keep it on his feet. He'll also be the bigger of the two which will help. I see Henderson beating Palhares up in the first round with strikes then taking him down in the second for a GnP victory.

Post #9   8/22/08 3:25:45PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

i am getting so pumped for this fight. i can't wait to see Hendo fight again. Hendo via Round 1 Vicious KO

i couldnt agree more, this quote only makes me think itll be minute 2 instead of minute 4

Post #10   8/22/08 3:26:16PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by MikeyG

Hendo has everything to lose in this fight, possibly his career in the UFC is at stake, Palharres is going to have to choke him unconscious. I would be pissed if I was Dan too losing both Pride belts especially to Quinton who Wand owned twice, Dan had to work hard for those belts and in 2 fights hes already back to the drawing board and possibly out the door. I'm 95% sure Dan is going to win, Palharres is going to have to survive the onslaught and somehow take down the stronger and more experienced Hendo and I dont think he will.

Why do people keep saying this? The dude is still ranked top10 in TWO DIVISIONS. He's pretty much unanimously ranked top3 at middleweight. He lost in two title fights and people are acting like his career is over. He did better against Silva than just about anyone has and is still considered to be one of the only people with a reasonable chance to beat him.

How is his career at stake? How is he almost out the door? This guy is going to have to lose like 3 more fights IN A ROW before his career is even close to over. You don't just lose a title fight (the only fights he has lost are title fights) and get instantaneously shit-canned as one of the greatest fighters p4p and in 2 divisions respectively. Even if he lost this fight and another at middleweight, he would still most likely be given the chance to fight at LHW.

No chance is Hendo's career anywhere remotely close to being done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. It's like saying Franklin's career is done because he lost to Silva twice. Who cares if they were back to back, it's about quality of opponent.

Post #11   8/22/08 3:31:12PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by MikeyG

Why do people keep saying this? The dude is still ranked top10 in TWO DIVISIONS. He's pretty much unanimously ranked top3 at middleweight. He lost in two title fights and people are acting like his career is over. He did better against Silva than just about anyone has and is still considered to be one of the only people with a reasonable chance to beat him.

How is his career at stake? How is he almost out the door? This guy is going to have to lose like 3 more fights IN A ROW before his career is even close to over. You don't just lose a title fight (the only fights he has lost are title fights) and get instantaneously shit-canned as one of the greatest fighters p4p and in 2 divisions respectively. Even if he lost this fight and another at middleweight, he would still most likely be given the chance to fight at LHW.

No chance is Hendo's career anywhere remotely close to being done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. It's like saying Franklin's career is done because he lost to Silva twice. Who cares if they were back to back, it's about quality of opponent.

I agree no way will Dan's career be done, but I can see why some people might think so. He's lost two in a row and three of his last five. He will also be 38 this month. If he loses to Palhares that will be three losses in a row in the UFC (granted against top competition). If he loses it won't be the end, but it will be an indication that he is probably on the decline at this point in his career.

Post #12   8/22/08 3:39:53PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by Bowen50

i couldnt agree more, this quote only makes me think itll be minute 2 instead of minute 4

i don't know man. judging by Hendo's intensity right now i wouldn't be surprised if this ended up the way Wanderlei Vs. Jardine did. Henderson is going to come out very motivated for this. all i know is i'm going to be sitting in my living room with a bunch of friends, wearing my Hendo shirt, waiting for the KO to happen and when it does i'll be surprised if the foundation of the house doesn't cave in.

Post #13   8/22/08 3:50:22PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Hendo has this match in the bag, plain and simple.

Post #14   8/22/08 4:33:15PM   

LionHeartWarchild

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I agree with Hendo's take on the fight. If he can use his wrestling to keep it standing, we'll see Palhares get knocked out but if he fails and it goes to the ground, he may very well get submitted. I'm expecting it to be a good fight either way.

Post #15   8/22/08 4:38:22PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2