Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tito Ortiz: The Barry Bonds of MMA?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Steve Cofield makes the argument:

Barry Bonds is desperate to get back on the baseball field. So much so that his $15-18 million asking price is now down to the major league minimum. His agent Jeff Borris told Ryen Russillo of ESPNRadio that Bonds would play this year for the minimum salary. Borris said, "What other option does he have?"

Is fighter Tito Ortiz going to face a similar fate in the MMA world? This is not to say Ortiz has been involved in a drug scandal like Bonds but the slugger is out of baseball as much for his attitude as the steroid mess. Ortiz may be developing the reputation that he's a guy who is impossible to work with.

Cofield also brings up recent remarks by Affliction COO Michael D. Cohen about Tito's asking price being "more than ANY league could afford."

Tito has clearly wildly over-estimated his current market value. I expect the UFC will re-sign a sadder but wiser Tito when it's all said and done.

LINK

Post #1   8/21/08 12:48:41AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I just don't understand how Tito has any marketability.
He comes across as a whiny, immature loud mouth.

Plus, his recent record is not even that great.
Just for arguments sake, lets throw the joke fights against Ken Shamrock out of the mix.

In 7.5 years his record only 3-4-1. Two of those wins were split decisions; none were finishes.

I really hope the UFC does not sign him back up. I get annoyed whenever he is on a card since he is usually the main event.

Post #2   8/21/08 9:49:25AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
watch the ufc will re sign him he still puts butts in the seats and is a good co main eventer now not a main event guy anymore. they will resign him out his butt on the dec new years end show probably against shogun now or maybe even evans vs tito 2 if evans loses to lidell

Post #3   8/21/08 10:13:41AM