Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson? Florian Eyes Frankie Edgar Instead

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
ESPN's Franklin McNeil (grrooooaaannnn) has talked to both Florian and Edgar. Both, it seems, believe they need a fight with each other to earn a shot at BJ Penn's title. Notable quote:

"Like Kenny, I want to fight the best in my division and right now he might be the No. 1 contender. So, fighting him is kind of a no-brainer. I want to get one [fight] in before the year is out. I would prefer November, but I would wait around to fight Kenny in December."

As for having his name mentioned prominently by Florian? That's fine by Edgar.

"It kind of gives me some recognition," Edgar said. "For a guy like Kenny to consider me as a formidable opponent; he's fought for the title and he's on a lot of people's list for a possible future title shot. So, it's good for me.

"I don't think Kenny's really calling me out; he's just making a statement that he wants to fight tough opponents."

Florian and Edgar are friends. The dropping of Edgar's name was not a show of disrespect by Florian.

"As an athlete, I have a lot of respect for [Frankie Edgar] for what he's accomplished," Florian said. "I respect him as a fighter and a person.

"It was the same with Roger Huerta. I had nothing against Roger; I liked Roger. But he was the best opponent available at the time. … It's nothing personal.

"I want to fight Frankie because he's a great fighter. That's the most important thing. It's about respect, and beating someone like Frankie Edgar will get me more respect."

LINK

Post #1   8/21/08 12:46:40AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:796-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Hmm, seems maynard is getting the shaft here, he just beat edgar now frankies lining up a number one contender match?

Post #2   8/21/08 6:33:53AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
^^ I agree, bizarre I say Florian and Maynard makes more sense

Post #3   8/21/08 8:21:58AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I say Florian vs Penn makes even more sense.

Post #4   8/21/08 9:16:33AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i say kenny wins by what ever he wants
but he should already get his title shot ken flo is a gamer and true fighter like lidell and anderson silva, gsp they will fight who ever and when ever. unlike karo

Post #5   8/21/08 10:22:08AM   

LionHeartWarchild

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Why can't they just bring on Penn/Florian already??? I'd say Florian loses against Edgar though...

Post #6   8/21/08 12:34:13PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
this is crazy.

rumors of florian vs stevenson, but bj isnt going to fight gsp in dec, but still wants to fight and florian wants to fight edgar and then rich is set up to face gray.

Post #7   8/21/08 2:21:10PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,889-1,010
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Hmm, seems maynard is getting the shaft here, he just beat edgar now frankies lining up a number one contender match?

Grays only win thtas worth mention is over edgar ... edgar has 3 big wins ovre tyson griffin (whos ahead of gray) spencer fisher and hermes francas ... even tho gray beat him edgar is still ahead in the ranks ... if gray beats no love then he will begin getting serious contender fights like edgar has earned ... and when gray beat edgar it wasnt a fight in which he killed edgar he only won cause hes soooo much bigger

Post #8   8/21/08 5:16:26PM