Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kimbo Slice vs. Sean Gannon Rematch Likely on CBS

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Josh Gross is reporting that Sean Gannon is leading the pack to face Kimbo Slice on the October 4th EliteXC card on CBS:

Three names keep popping up as the next opponent for Kimbo Slice on Oct. 4: Brett Rogers, Ken Shamrock and ... wait for it ... Sean Gannon.

And so, that leaves Gannon, a Boston police officer who defeated Slice in the most famous of the Miami street brawler's underground fight videos. If you'll recall, the UFC tried to capitalize on the YouTube-famed fight by signing Gannon in 2005, but Branden Lee Hinkle pounded him out in less than a round. Since then, Gannon has sat on the sidelines flirting with a big payday and a chance to rematch Slice on a larger stage.

CBS would be the largest.

At this point, unfortunately, signs are pointing to Gannon. The story works for CBS -- it's an easy sell and Kimbo shouldn't face much of a threat. It's perfect all around. That is, unless you think circus fights have no place in MMA, particularly in front of six million viewers.

LINK

Post #1   8/21/08 12:44:30AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,384-1,742
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
even though he hasn't fought in years, I'm taking The Cannon to win this fight, he beat him once, he can do it again.

Post #2   8/21/08 1:23:57AM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
What a joke!!

Who is next after this fight, a rematch with James.....cause we all know, James watches alot of dvds and is ready for a rematch.

Post #3   8/21/08 1:49:50AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

that is the only response i can give...

Post #4   8/21/08 1:52:59AM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
I really really hope CBS cuts this deal as soon as they can.

Post #5   8/21/08 2:46:06AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
ProElite is grasping at straws right now. They are too far gone anyway. My guess is that they'll be bankrupt before they could pull this fight together anyway. The mear fact that his is boing considered really shows the true colors of the entire PreElite family of promotions.

Before I go any further, what do the Playground Rules say about Promotion bashing?

Post #6   8/21/08 3:42:10AM   

MikeyG

Standup Guy

MikeyG Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:
Elite XC + Never Back Down = F*****g clown shoes

Post #7   8/21/08 4:14:28AM   

basbylivershot

Learning to Sprawl

basbylivershot Avatar

Career:828-450
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
what an absurd fight - a complete joke

Post #8   8/21/08 4:39:28AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sad thing is, more people will want to see this fight than any other the EXC could put together.

Post #9   8/21/08 4:40:16AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
ROFL. This fight is obviously a joke to MMA fans, but it's also actually an excellent strategy on their part. This is one of the only bouts they could set up that would make some kind of sense (since they "fought" previously) and that kimbo will actually most likely be favoured to win. It would be almost impossible for them to find anyone else that kimbo has a pretty good chance to beat that will also create interest.

This is a freak show obviously, but it's also a brilliant strategy, quite frankly.

Post #10   8/21/08 5:40:45AM   

chrismithers

MMA Regular

chrismithers Avatar

Career:242-158
Chips:
I hate Kimbo Slice he is the single most overrated fighter in the history of mma. and i hate that mtv and espn are hyping him so people that dont even know what mma is are like wooo kimbo slice is amazing. and they have no clue who anyone else is in mma.

KIMBO FIND A REAL CHALLENGE!

Post #11   8/21/08 7:41:13AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Not likely.

The one rumor that he would squash was the recent talk of a match-up with Sean Gannon, the fighter that Slice built much of his underground fighting sensationalism off of.

“There are several options we’re considering right now. Gannon is not the guy,” he said firmly.

Source

Edit: He is Jared Shaw.

Last edited 8/21/08 7:49AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   8/21/08 7:48:44AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
just when I thought the embarrassment being reached by the last Kimbo fight/Elite xc show he was involved with was redeemed by 2 Lawler/smith fights and the last elite xc event they go and do it again and with an opponent that non mma fans think is good because he beat Kimbo.
I hope that with 2 female mma fights and Kimbo on the main card they figure out 2 really, really good fights to join this card to make up the difference and though I'm intrigued by the Carano fight and the Santos fight none of these 3 should be the main event.

hopefully Gannon wins...again and this charade ends

Post #13   8/21/08 8:32:57AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by chrismithers

I hate Kimbo Slice he is the single most overrated fighter in the history of mma. and i hate that mtv and espn are hyping him so people that dont even know what mma is are like wooo kimbo slice is amazing. and they have no clue who anyone else is in mma.

Kimbo isn't overrated.... People have to think you're good in order for you to be overrated. He might be overHYPED but he sure as hell isn't overrated. I have never seen anyone say anything other than "kimbo is a joke" or "kimbo is a freakshow" by no means is this guy overrated.

Post #14   8/21/08 8:40:57AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by chrismithers

Kimbo isn't overrated.... People have to think you're good in order for you to be overrated. He might be overHYPED but he sure as hell isn't overrated. I have never seen anyone say anything other than "kimbo is a joke" or "kimbo is a freakshow" by no means is this guy overrated.

That's probably because you only hang out with people that are true MMA fans and know (at least) a little bit about MMA.
The gym I work out at is full of idiot meatheads that think Kimbo is the best fighter in the world.

Post #15   8/21/08 9:54:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2