Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Title contention: who should and will fight for a title?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
HW...

Werdum... And then I guess Valasquez because I can't think of anyone else...

LHW...

Machida is clearly the #1 contender for me, but I think that the winner of Chuck / Rashad gets the nod... And then Lyoto as long as he keeps winning.

MW...

I guess Okami would be after Cote... But I think Bisbing will be pushed ahead if he gets a solid win under his belt... I'd actually like to see him fight the winner of Kampmann / Marquardt

WW...

Winner of Thiago Alves / Diego Sanchez should be next in line... Then maybe even Yoshida if he gets past Karo... I guess I really don't want to see Kos / GSP II, that is if GSP can beat BJ again...

LW...

I could see the winner of Griffen / Sherk getting a shot... But there seems to be a lot of good fighters in the div and anyone of them could make a run for it with a couple solid wins...

champion vs champion does not bother me, unless it interferes with title defenses down the line somewhere... I don't want a TUF thing to happen, and have title fights put on hold

It was stated before... Gatekeepers change with time... For example, Anderson's Rich Franklin's cryptonite... but he may fare much better against the likes of Cote... So I guess gatekeepers change with the champions...

I'd like to see Wilson Gouveia move down to MW... Gamburyan move to 145... Rashad move to MW... Chuck move to HW... and Fedor down at 205

Post #16   8/12/08 3:52:44PM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
Rich Franklin is a gate keeper, he's guarding the gate and he's defending it well. But sometimes somone will jump over the gate (ie Dan Henderson) so that Anderson will fight someone to defend the title. However if someone beat Rich Franklin at MW he would get an immediate title shot. Good for Rich for going the LHW but he's gonna have hell to pay if he ever has to fight Wanderlei/Liddel/Rampage.

I think we had a good discussion, one other thing i'd like to add is I think the UFC should do belt holder vs. belt holder every year for their new years eve show and call it something special something like. BATTLE OF WARRIORS 1 and have the biggest card of the year not only with the title holders fighting but some unique big name catch fights.

GSP vs. BJ
Anderson Silva vs. Liddel (either LHW or catch wieght)
Urijah Faber vs. Kenflo
Nate Diaz vs. Karo Parisyan

getting guys that wouldn't normally fight but could meet somewhere in between would be awesome, once a year for a super card. MMA's superbowl if you will

Post #17   8/13/08 3:08:46AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
let me quote back to you YOUR definition of a gatekeeper:

"guys that should not fight for the title but should have to be beaten for a shot. "

Now explain to me how Rich Franklin fits that description. He's a former champion and a #1 contender, no one in the division has beaten him other than anderson and he's had NUMEROUS title shots.

People who are called gate keepers are guys who are good, better than the majority of the division but are just shy of making the top tier, thus being able to beat them puts you in the upper tier. They guard the gates to the upper echelons of the division. Franklin dominated his division until a better fighter came in and started dominating. The way that you are using the word gatekeeper is interchangeable with the term "contender" and that isn't what a gatekeeper is.

You can't call a guy who has been consistently ranked top3 in the world for his weightclass for like 3 years a gatekeeper, it makes no sense. Guys like Travis Lutter and Patrick Cote are Gatekeepers, not Rich Franklin. By your logic no one should ever fight anderson for his title since no one can beat franklin.

You're saying he's a gatekeeper just because if someone beats them they get a titleshot... that's not a gatekeeper that's a contender. If anyone beats basically any of the top5 guys in a division they get a titleshot... because they beat a title contender and that elevates you to title contention. Gatekeeper and contender are not interchangeable, they are different things.

Last edited 8/13/08 5:51AM server time by aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   8/13/08 5:45:52AM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
You must have missed my latest post. Sure Franklin has beaten everyone but Anderson but if someone came in at MW beat Franklin they'd get a shot. On the other hand Rich Franklin is all out of title shots at MW until Anderson is no longer champion. He's sort of a very good gatekeeper, I think Franklin is over-rated and will be exposed when he goes to LHW, chew on that.

Post #19   8/13/08 9:16:27AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2