Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cheick Kongo Going A Bit Overboard?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by IriShame

Yeah, Kongo is a nobody. He would be sick in K-1 but he has no ground game at all. To big of a glaring flaw.

Heath Herring was beating Kongo on the feet. How do you suppose he'd do well in K-1?

Post #16   8/11/08 2:40:06PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Kongo is 5-2 in the UFC, he is big and strong and a good kickboxer. He mainly just has pure strength takedowns, but does not have good takedown defense. Im not much of a fan but he does appear to be improving, he looked really good against Evensen (who lets face it, was there to play the role of the sacrificial lamb). I do want to see Kongo fight a wrestler next, but I have a feeling that they will put him up against Eddie Sanchez.

Post #17   8/11/08 2:57:10PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by candynuts

Kongo is 5-2 in the UFC, he is big and strong and a good kickboxer. He mainly just has pure strength takedowns, but does not have good takedown defense. Im not much of a fan but he does appear to be improving, he looked really good against Evensen (who lets face it, was there to play the role of the sacrificial lamb). I do want to see Kongo fight a wrestler next, but I have a feeling that they will put him up against Eddie Sanchez.

I think it depends on whether the UFC wants to keep him around. Honestly, if the don't like his attitude I see him being fed to the wolves. However, if they do want to keep him, he will have to take on a wrester eventually (and before a title shot) if he want's a title shot.

As for his 5-2 record, most of his wins are against guys that have poor records against upper tier fighters (basically anyone in Pride or the UFC) and his losses weren't exactly to top 10 fighters either. Cro Cop was his only big win and that was tainted with groin shots. The guy is far from a title shot.

Post #18   8/11/08 3:32:50PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
I'm going to agree with seemingly everyone else here and say kongo is no where near a title shot. thats ridiculous. even in the weak hw ufc devision. werdum, mir, lesnar, velasquez, at least.

Post #19   8/11/08 4:39:31PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:

Posted by Rush
I think it depends on whether the UFC wants to keep him around. Honestly, if the don't like his attitude I see him being fed to the wolves. However, if they do want to keep him, he will have to take on a wrester eventually (and before a title shot) if he want's a title shot.

As for his 5-2 record, most of his wins are against guys that have poor records against upper tier fighters (basically anyone in Pride or the UFC) and his losses weren't exactly to top 10 fighters either. Cro Cop was his only big win and that was tainted with groin shots. The guy is far from a title shot.

True, but to be honest, I do not know of too many wolves that are in the UFC Heavyweight division. And in his losses in the UFC he has not necessarily been flat out beaten (Split Decisioned in 2 fights). I would like to see him fight Gonzaga and watch him get humiliated as he gets taken down and submitted, but I dont think he fights him and instead fights a standup fighter. (I think Lesnar/Gonzaga would be the bigger/better fight).

He is pretty recognizable based on his fighting style and appearance, but like you said his attitude sucks. I still think that the UFC should try to keep a hold of him.. well frankly because the UFC's talent pool of HWY's is pretty limited, and losing a guy like Kongo eliminates even more matchups.

Post #20   8/11/08 6:05:51PM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
I dont know, i dont mind Kongo he has improved, i think he was just a little pissed that he didn't get a well established opponent

Post #21   8/11/08 6:07:20PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I think either Velesquez or Lesnar should be his next oppenents if he is getting bored. He is the one everyone should be pissed at being dissrespectful not Brock. He totally snubbed the UFC and left Rogan with his dick in the wind. Total BS. At least shout out to your sponsers, WTF.

Post #22   8/11/08 7:17:36PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by candynuts

True, but to be honest, I do not know of too many wolves that are in the UFC Heavyweight division. And in his losses in the UFC he has not necessarily been flat out beaten (Split Decisioned in 2 fights). I would like to see him fight Gonzaga and watch him get humiliated as he gets taken down and submitted, but I dont think he fights him and instead fights a standup fighter. (I think Lesnar/Gonzaga would be the bigger/better fight).

Yeah, there isn't much left in the HW division. I would consider any good grappler and/or wrestler, expecially one that is strong (Lesnar, Cain, Gonzaga) to be able to pwn him on the ground. With the way Kongo has been talking I wonder if he will be around much longer unless he beats some top talent and I just don't see that happening considering most of the UFC's top HW are very talented grapplers.

Post #23   8/11/08 7:21:15PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2