Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

'Next Big Thing' Lesnar well on his way

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
LINK

Post #1   8/10/08 1:58:05PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
Lesnar looked awesome. I was totally impressed. If only he had beaten Mir. I hate pro-wrestling. Hate it with a passion. But I think this guy has the goods. He's a monster.

Post #2   8/10/08 2:16:52PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:3,868-2,360
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
The next Fedor!!........

Post #3   8/10/08 2:40:31PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:

Posted by colescar

Lesnar looked awesome. I was totally impressed. If only he had beaten Mir. I hate pro-wrestling. Hate it with a passion. But I think this guy has the goods. He's a monster.

Ya it's too bad that Brock will always have the WWE stigma attached to him. I wonder if he had fought Herring then Mir if the results would have been different.

Post #4   8/10/08 2:44:38PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,580-858
Chips:
We'll call this my public apology to Mr. Lesnar. I was wrong about the fact that he won't gas. And looking back on it, the MMAth was right there all along. That was the same Heath Herring who had nothing at all to offer against O'Brien. I don't know why I was thinking that Brock couldn't have the same wrestler's success.

I will say this though. Brock needs to be kidnapped an taken to striking school. His mechanics are god aweful! I wasn't particularly impressed with his ground control either. It was sloppy, and would never work against a submission threat. But that shouldn't take anything away from his fight with Herring. He did exactly what he needed to do to win. With the weak HW division in the UFC, he can probably string together a few more wins without any polish at all. If he can improve his technique moving forward he'll be a contender. (I think I just threw up in my mouth.)

Post #5   8/10/08 2:46:07PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

We'll call this my public apology to Mr. Lesnar. I was wrong about the fact that he won't gas. And looking back on it, the MMAth was right there all along. That was the same Heath Herring who had nothing at all to offer against O'Brien. I don't know why I was thinking that Brock couldn't have the same wrestler's success.

I will say this though. Brock needs to be kidnapped an taken to striking school. His mechanics are god aweful! I wasn't particularly impressed with his ground control either. It was sloppy, and would never work against a submission threat. But that shouldn't take anything away from his fight with Herring. He did exactly what he needed to do to win. With the weak HW division in the UFC, he can probably string together a few more wins without any polish at all. If he can improve his technique moving forward he'll be a contender. (I think I just threw up in my mouth.)

ya brock didn't gas at all, he looked fresh in the third. agree he is raw with his striking but he will get better, he has some great power, if he polishes his strikes he could have some big knockouts.

Post #6   8/10/08 3:11:22PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
He needs major improvement on his JJ. There were so many times when he should have had the hooks in but he didn't go for it. Just inexperience. In time he will dominate and his power is just awesome. Please let him fight Kongo

Post #7   8/10/08 3:46:50PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
I looked up Lay & Pray in the MMA-tionary & found a picture of Brock Lesnar. Can't believe everone piles on other wrestlers for this tactic, but this palooka gets a free pass? Was the most boring fight of all the ones broadcast last night, by a -big- margin. All he showed me was he could lay on top of an opponent for like 13 minutes with extremely little control, without attempting any submissions or attempting to gain better position. Big, heavy freaking hands, tho! If he learns how to strike he'll KTFO some guys too stupid/slow to get out of his way.

He's also the most classless asshole I've seen, maybe ever in MMA. His post-fight antics & statements would have made Tito Ortiz embarressed for him. Compare his bullshit with GSP/Fitch's postgame regard for each other for reference purposes. Smack talk pre-fight is almost expected...disrespecting your opponent post-fight to the level Brock took it just makes you look like a petty, wind-bag dick. Win a fight that required you doing something other than laying on a weaker guy for 13 mintues before you do your little lasso mime act, dumb ass.

Weak sauce.

T777

Post #8   8/10/08 3:47:53PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Career:2,212-1,353
Chips:
Even though he looked good against Herring it's just dumb to claim that Lesnar unquestionable will be the next big thing. We still don't know if he will ever be able to hang with guys who have great submission grappling like Minotauro or Werdum. And as of right now Cain Velasquez has impressed me much more as a heavyweight prospect. But I guess you can't expect more from Iole.

Post #9   8/10/08 3:50:22PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Trench777

I looked up Lay & Pray in the MMA-tionary & found a picture of Brock Lesnar. Can't believe everone piles on other wrestlers for this tactic, but this palooka gets a free pass? Was the most boring fight of all the ones broadcast last night, by a -big- margin. All he showed me was he could lay on top of an opponent for like 13 minutes with extremely little control, without attempting any submissions or attempting to gain better position. Big, heavy freaking hands, tho! If he learns how to strike he'll KTFO some guys too stupid/slow to get out of his way.

He's also the most classless asshole I've seen, maybe ever in MMA. His post-fight antics & statements would have made Tito Ortiz embarressed for him. Compare his bullshit with GSP/Fitch's postgame regard for each other for reference purposes. Smack talk pre-fight is almost expected...disrespecting your opponent post-fight to the level Brock took it just makes you look like a petty, wind-bag dick. Win a fight that required you doing something other than laying on a weaker guy for 13 mintues before you do your little lasso mime act, dumb ass.

Weak sauce.

T777

I did not hear what Lesnar said, but from All herring was saying prior to the fight It was almost deserved... Herring talked alot of trash and from what I recall prior to the fight brock was fairly quite in comparrison... True in bad taste.. I think we can chalk that up again to a bit of rookie-ness and too much time in the WWE.. I think as Brock gets more comfortable his antics will come down...

Post #10   8/10/08 5:11:17PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He looked awesome. I just wish Heath didn't bury his head on the mat to avoid strikes. It seemed like even the little pop shots were busting Herring's face open. He knew Brock wasn't looking for a choke so he continuously rolled to his stomach. This is where the rules really get in the way. No knees to the head just create stalemates.

Brock is for real. A lot of guys are going to have trouble with him. The guys that do for submissions are going to open themselves up for a lot of punishment.

Post #11   8/10/08 5:19:05PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Trench777

Weak sauce.

T777

No why is it ok for Herring to think fighting Brock is a step down for him and saying so to Dana. Yet he goes out and gets smashed by the guy. In time he will be much improved and atleast he's fighting top guys not chumps

Last edited 8/10/08 6:00PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   8/10/08 5:46:57PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by Porch28

He needs major improvement on his JJ. There were so many times when he should have had the hooks in but he didn't go for it. Just inexperience. In time he will dominate and his power is just awesome. Please let him fight Kongo

I agree, he needs some improvements, but overall I think he did good, and yes put the battle of the muscles in there. Lesnar vs.Kongo.

Post #13   8/10/08 5:51:44PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:
Kongo couldn't stop Herrings take downs there is no way he can stop Lesnar's

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 8/10/08 6:00PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   8/10/08 5:59:57PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by Trench777

Weak sauce.

T777

Say all you want it was the guys third fight ever. He was cautious which after his last fight he needed to be.The next thing I write I will put in bold.

Stop the take down and you don't have to deal with it.

Post #15   8/10/08 6:05:04PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3