Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hot Bout last-minute switcheroo for UFC 87

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Ralk

Learning to Sprawl

Ralk Avatar

Career:279-121
Chips:
The "Hot Bout" (worth double points in the picks) was changed from Florian vs Huerta to Cummo vs McCrory.
The switch happened sometime between August 5th 2PM and this morning August 8th. Not sure about the reason for the change, but now I've got to do a little more research into fighters that nobody cares about :P
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up so they can look into that Cummo vs McCrory fight a little more.

Post #1   8/8/08 10:14:18AM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:

Posted by Ralk

The "Hot Bout" (worth double points in the picks) was changed from Florian vs Huerta to Cummo vs McCrory.
The switch happened sometime between August 5th 2PM and this morning August 8th. Not sure about the reason for the change, but now I've got to do a little more research into fighters that nobody cares about :P
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up so they can look into that Cummo vs McCrory fight a little more.

Yep, I noticed that too!! I was REALLY hoping it would be Florian/Huerta because like you said now we have a couple of fighters with not that much info. More of a toss-up IMO.

Oh, well... this hot bout will more than likely be luck if you get it right!

I just wish they'd change the hot bout to a main event like they said could happen:

"The fight which has the closest number of people picking each combatant as the winner is named the "hot bout", thus you are rewarded for "seeing through the hype" to accurately know who will win a contested matchup. The "hot bout" for an event will have its point totals doubled. Note: In the event that the "hot bout" is on the undercard of an event, another fight that is running close in picks from the main card may be selected as the "hot bout" by the administration." --Taken from
Website Rules

Last edited 8/8/08 10:39AM server time by npayant
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/8/08 10:38:19AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Maybe the votes turned out more for one fighter than they expected.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't normally ckeck my picks too close to the fight because I make stupid rash decisions and make changes I regret.

Post #3   8/8/08 10:54:02AM   

Davebled

Learning to Sprawl

Davebled Avatar

Career:1,616-844
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Ya that was a weird decision to change the hot at the last second. I guess its better because i feel this is an easier decision to make than the Huerta Florian match up.

Post #4   8/8/08 12:18:39PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by npayant

Note: In the event that the "hot bout" is on the undercard of an event, another fight that is running close in picks from the main card may be selected as the "hot bout" by the administration."

Wish this rule would be initiated more often. For example, the last CBS fights had a fight that was added two days before the event and it became the hot bout! It was an undercard fight featuring two unknowns--Mike Cook vs. Carl Seumanutafa. The original HB was the Cyborg/Baszler fight which was a main card fight and they were both well known fighters. In addition, the women's fight had more people picking than the other fight and the % difference was only 1 percent. Therefore, I think the amount of people picking should be factored in as well.

Last edited 8/8/08 12:42PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   8/8/08 12:36:28PM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:

Posted by wolfman

Posted by npayant

Note: In the event that the "hot bout" is on the undercard of an event, another fight that is running close in picks from the main card may be selected as the "hot bout" by the administration."

Wish this rule would be initiated more often. For example, the last CBS fights had a fight that was added two days before the event and it became the hot bout! It was an undercard fight featuring two unknowns--Mike Cook vs. Carl Seumanutafa. The original HB was the Cyborg/Baszler fight which was a main card fight and they were both well known fighters. In addition, the women's fight had more people picking than the other fight and the % difference was only 1 percent. Therefore, I think the amount of people picking should be factored in as well.

Yes, this is another perfect example!! The toss up ones typically happen in the Secondary league. It seems they are almost always an undercard bout that we don't even get to see. A lot of time the guys will both have 1-0 records or something crazy like that. It just stinks that your whole season can be lost on a bout like that --- and don't tell me that doesn't happen!! I was in first place until I lost that dang hot bout Wolfman just mentioned!!! Losing that ONE crap shoot event took me out of medal contention!

When I think about it, I'm not sure they've ever changed the hot bout to another close bout on the main card as in this case. It might have happend, but I don't remember.

Post #6   8/8/08 12:52:26PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
prolly because florian/huerta won't be a fight of the year fight like everyone thinks it will be.

Post #7   8/8/08 1:11:24PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:2,818-1,561
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

prolly because florian/huerta won't be a fight of the year fight like everyone thinks it will be.

And Cummo/McCrory will be? Come on now, it likely won't even be televised unless it's KO or sub of the night.

Post #8   8/8/08 1:14:14PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xposipx

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

And Cummo/McCrory will be? Come on now, it likely won't even be televised unless it's KO or sub of the night.

Yeah, really....

It was only changed because the picks are now closer for the Cummo/McCrory fight.

Post #9   8/8/08 2:04:54PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by npayant

Posted by wolfman

Posted by npayant

Yes, this is another perfect example!! The toss up ones typically happen in the Secondary league. It seems they are almost always an undercard bout that we don't even get to see. A lot of time the guys will both have 1-0 records or something crazy like that. It just stinks that your whole season can be lost on a bout like that --- and don't tell me that doesn't happen!! I was in first place until I lost that dang hot bout Wolfman just mentioned!!! Losing that ONE crap shoot event took me out of medal contention!

When I think about it, I'm not sure they've ever changed the hot bout to another close bout on the main card as in this case. It might have happend, but I don't remember.

Yeah, they may have changed the hot bout during season 1, but I was not here for the first season. So, I think you could be right.

Post #10   8/8/08 2:07:54PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The hot bout is selected automatically by the system based on how close the fights are, so I don't have any control over that. I'm pretty sure the admin is working on the coding to make it so we can select what bouts are available to be the hot bout, but its apparently a huge pain in the ass. Hopefully thats fixed eventually.

If you REALLY don't want that fight to be the hot bout, look at how many people picked which guy and change your pick to the favorite and skew the odds a bit. If its truely as close as you guys think, it doesn't matter who you pick anyways, and it'll knock the fight back to Ken-flo vs. Huerta.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   8/8/08 2:51:42PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Awesome, now i am going to win the hot bout this time

Post #12   8/8/08 2:54:18PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:

Posted by Ralk

Thanks for pointing that out. Props comin' your way.

Post #13   8/8/08 3:30:48PM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
went from possible 22 to 0.

Wish Florian stayed Hot Bout.

Post #14   8/10/08 4:10:34AM   

Mr_Dead_Sexy

MMA Regular

Mr_Dead_Sexy Avatar

Career:2,598-1,465
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
When I'd heard about Luke fasting, I had no problem with that being the hot bout. I would have gotten the full 22 if it was Ken/Huerta or Tamden/Luke regardless.

Post #15   8/10/08 4:35:51AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2