Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Alessio Sakara vs. Joe Vedepo likely for UFC Fight Night 15

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
link

Another Midwest-based fighter could make his UFC debut when the organization heads to Omaha next month.

A source close to UFC newcomer Joe Vedepo (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the middleweight fighter has verbally agreed to meet Alessio Sakara (12-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC) at next month's UFC Fight Night 15 event.

The bout has not been signed, but bout agreements should be distributed shortly, the source said.

UFC Fight Night 15 takes place Sept. 17 at the Omaha Civic Auditorium and airs on Spike TV. The event, co-headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer and Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida, precedes the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir."

Vedepo, a part of the Cedar Rapids-based Team Hardrive MMA, won the Midwest Cage Championship middleweight belt with a June victory over Brian Green (15-10). Both fighters entered the bout knowing that a major-league contract offer could be on the line. The bloody, back-and-forth main-event fight ultimately ended via a third-round verbal submission in favor of Vedepo.

The 25-year-old former light heavyweight and stand-out high school wrestler has never gone to decision; he's won four fights via knockout and three by submission.

Sakara, meanwhile, will look to push his UFC record to .500. He most recently suffered a loss to Chris Leben at UFC 82 in March. The hard-hitting Italian's other losses have come to Houston Alexander, Drew McFedries and Dean Lister; victories have come over James Lee and Victor Valimaki via knockout, and Elvis Sinosic via unanimous decision.

The American Top Team fighter has lost four of his past six fights.

Post #1   8/7/08 2:59:14PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
Please do not put this on TV! i am sick of Sakara getting smacked up everytime they show him.............

Post #2   8/7/08 3:01:31PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Im hoping Joe gets the win and sakara gets the boot from the UFC. This fight won't make tv unless it a quick sub or ko.

Post #3   8/7/08 3:06:20PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,397-1,758
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I'm just shocked Alessio is still there,I know he was a steady win-lose-win pattern going,but I'm hoping he loses.

Post #4   8/7/08 3:14:14PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Alessio is "still there" because he is exciting.
Alessio is still there because the UFC feels he still deserves to be there for what ever reason...and thats all that matters.
Excitement keeps a fighter around despite a few losses or a less than stellar record.
Let's not forget he changed weights from LH to Middleweight.
His previous record at LH means nothing.
Alessio is a great fighter who never fails to excite...weather he wins or he loses.
Actually the real reason he is still in the UFC is to tick off his detractors and all the know it alls.
Sakara vs. Vedepo will probably be a very exciting fight with Sakara coming out on top.

Post #5   8/7/08 5:27:11PM   

JackHammerXXX

MMA Regular

JackHammerXXX Avatar

Career:1,953-1,250
Chips:
Yeah, exciting because they're giving him a guy who's ready to get to the big stage for the first time!

Sakara is a bum. How many fights were on his contract? I bet this is one of, if not the last one. And yeah, he dropped in weight but, that's because he was getting twerked soo easy, then he goes down to MW, and gets thrashed by Leben(Leben ain't no pushover). His fights are only exciting because you know it won't last long, more than half the time, it's Alessio getting the doctors' attention.
If the guy didn't have the look he has: he's foreign, his name, his tattoos, his camp,etc. the UFC wouldn't bother keeping him around.
Now, on the other hand, they did put him on a "fight night" card, non-televised bout, so they're not giving him a spotlight to shine in.
I'll be in attendence, hopefully the other guy who has one fight left to prove his worth to the UFC(Houston Alexander) can do what he did to the above said bum, a year ago, again!

Post #6   8/7/08 7:20:30PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
I haven't seen a fight where he was exciting. the guy knocking him out was mildly exciting.

Post #7   8/7/08 8:21:10PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
If Sakara had a good chin, he would be a serious contender. He out strikes almost every opponent he has faced, but his chin seems to always fail him (ala the Mcfedries fight)

Post #8   8/7/08 10:27:48PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Man a lot of people are hatin' on one of my fav. fighters!
He is 3-4-1 in the UFC and is usually Win-Loss-Win-Loss kind of fighter (inconsistent is the word). Pretty exciting fighter to watch and his fights usually do not make it to the 2nd round. But like Juanez said his chin is his achilles heel, the fights with Leben and McFedries (granted those are some power punchers) would have been well known wars. I will say that if Sakara loses this fight then he is gone even if it is an exciting fight (2 losses in a row). If he wins, he stays. I by all means want him to stay so... come on SAKARA!!!

Post #9   8/7/08 10:55:45PM