Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Steve Cantwell Recounts WEC 35 Title Win

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
When Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann first met in World Extreme Cagefighting at WEC 26, Stann finished Cantwell by TKO in just 41 seconds. At WEC 35, Cantwell returned the favor by finishing the former WEC light heavyweight titleholder by TKO at 4:01 of the first round.

It was Stann's first title defense and Cantwell's opportunity to avenge the previous loss and win the WEC light heavyweight belt that Stann obtained by knocking out Doug Marshall at WEC 33.

"He did exactly what I thought he'd do," the newly crowned champ told MMAWeekly.com. "It was exactly what I expected. The only problem was it was my first title fight and my nerves kind of got the best of me a little bit."

LINK

Last edited 8/7/08 4:08PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: All Caps Title

Post #1   8/7/08 1:23:57PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i was real happy to see cantwell beat up on stann. cantwell is a much more well-rounded fighter. i think the first time they fought he just didn't expect what stann brought to the table.

Post #2   8/7/08 1:36:06PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Stann vs Cantwell: one to one. I want to see a rematch.
However, Stann needs to seriously work on his conditioning. He's not used to fighting past the first round. He basically fell over from exhaustion moreso than the punches, imo. I'm ready for the rematch. Also, he came into the fight weighing 201.5, which leads me to believe that he may not cut weight. If that's the case, he needs to be fighting at 185, and possibly eventually for the MW title, possibly against the winner of the Filho/Sonnen fight.

Post #3   8/7/08 1:49:23PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
stann also needs to mix up his combinations...he basically was throwing 2 combos the whole fight...the guy is tough, has already good takedown defense, and seems strong as hell....but the cantwell has excellent standup with his combos and the way he puts them together..that was the difference, technique over predictabitlity....but like he said at the end of the fight, hes just a pup in the game, and has a lot to learn.... i think we will be watching both these guys for a long time

Post #4   8/7/08 2:14:52PM