Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roger Huerta and UFC ‘far apart’ on contract extension

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Roger Huerta is getting a ton of attention lately. And it appears to be for all the wrong reasons.

“El Matador” has perhaps his biggest test to date this weekend when he takes on Kenny Florian at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on August 9. With a win he will likely distinguish himself as the clear-cut number one contender in the division.

But he may never get to challenge for the title even if he does win if he can’t ink a contract extension, which is a very real possibility if things don’t change soon, according to Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com.

Here’s his analysis:

“Huerta, who has one fight left on his contact after the Florian fight, is far apart with UFC on terms for a renewal. Huerta, who has gotten a new agent, was asking for six-figures guaranteed per fight as well as points on the PPV, in negotiations that haven’t gone well for some time. That’s a better deal then [BJ] Penn, so he wasn’t going to get it. The UFC position is that they groomed Huerta and pushed him hard and were careful of his opponents, with the exception of Clay Guida….”

LINK

Post #1   8/6/08 5:04:32PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
if he beats florian, which i personally don't see happening, the ufc will be in trouble. he would be next in line for penn's title. they would need to do some serious compromising to make sure he stays in the ufc. he's an exciting fighter. win or lose on saturday, i hope he stays in the ufc where he belongs.

Post #2   8/6/08 5:14:55PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I guess when florian beats him Dana will be a happy man becouse roger wont have such high ground to stand on after a loss.

Post #3   8/6/08 6:31:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
His talent level doesnt match that kind of contract, and theres no way dream will pick him up for that price either.

Post #4   8/6/08 6:51:39PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
"The UFC position is that they groomed Huerta and pushed him hard and were careful of his opponents, with the exception of Clay Guida…"

Surprise, surprise. I never would have thought the UFC would handcraft a fighter like Roger Huerta. That sucks for him. I think Kenny will finnish him and sort of put him in his place. He's setting the bridge on fire. Bad move.

Post #5   8/6/08 6:57:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I hope Huerta wins. It will tickle me.

Post #6   8/6/08 7:07:18PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Whose he beaten to get 6 figures? Clay? No offense because Clay is an animal but other than that hes been more hype than anything. I like the guys personality but the UFC is actually a really smart organization when it comes to greedy fighters so I;m sure they will work everything out.

Post #7   8/6/08 7:26:50PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Huerta is delusional to think he deserves a better deal than what Penn gets. Penn is legend. Huerta will lose in impressive fashion come Saturday.

Post #8   8/6/08 7:34:49PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I can't believe they gave Lesnar the deal he got. I understand he's Brock Lesnar WWE champion but christ, that much? I don't Huerta is unjustified in asking for money when he's does more than Lesnar has. I'm not saying El Matador will get the draw Lesnar will but he got paid too much for an unproven fighter. IMO

Post #9   8/6/08 7:38:20PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I think Huerta is doing this becuase he thinks he'll beat Kenny and he's afraid to fight BJ. so, he can change organizations after beating Kenny (i don't think he will but you never know) and then be hailed as the guy that never got the title shot he deserved and even say stuff like they didn't want BJ to lose so they didn't let me fight them...etc.

I could be wrong but after all the stuff i've read i think that's what's going on in his head.

I could be waaaaaaaaaaay off...who knows. Either way I dig Huerta and enjoy watching him fight.

Post #10   8/6/08 7:52:24PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Huerta picked the wrong time to get greedy. The fact is they don't need him even if he wins the fight. Sure it'll suck but BJ is moving up anyway and there is enough time to have 1 or 2 more fights to get a new top contender.

Huerta wins, BJ loses to GSP and takes a little time off, comes back to defend his title. Plenty of time to get a new contender.

Post #11   8/6/08 8:31:18PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
So now this fight is win win for me. Kenny wins, I get to bust all of my El Salvadorian friends balls cause they take nuthuggin to a whole'nother level. But is Roger wins, he sticks it to the UFC high and hard. Awesome.

Regardless, I think this will be fight of the night.

Post #12   8/6/08 9:13:10PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I can't believe they gave Lesnar the deal he got. I understand he's Brock Lesnar WWE champion but christ, that much? I don't Huerta is unjustified in asking for money when he's does more than Lesnar has. I'm not saying El Matador will get the draw Lesnar will but he got paid too much for an unproven fighter. IMO

Because they thought ( and rightfully so) that Lesnar will fill seats and sell PPVs.

As for Huerta. I always thought they guy looked like he was in love with himself. I could care less if he stays in the UFC or not. There is a lot of talent out there at 155.

Post #13   8/6/08 9:29:27PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I think and hope Florian takes this one and in impressive fashion.
I would like to see Huerta stay, maybe a loss will help realign reality for him(wants more then Penn) get outta here ur nuts yo.

Post #14   8/6/08 10:37:35PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Because they thought ( and rightfully so) that Lesnar will fill seats and sell PPVs.

As for Huerta. I always thought they guy looked like he was in love with himself. I could care less if he stays in the UFC or not. There is a lot of talent out there at 155.

He does sell seats. But for how long? I didn't mean to imply Huerta deserves that sort of money. I mean f*ck, most WWE stars will never see the money Floyd Mayweather got to appear at Wrestlemania. But, I don't think it's too much to ask for a pay increase when you're producing. There are plenty of good 155 pounders but El Matador is one of them, IMO.

Post #15   8/6/08 11:20:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2