Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kenny Florian: "I Have an Advantage Everywhere"

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
link

Following a dominant victory against Alvin Robinson in July 2007, Kenny Florian gave a warning to the lightweight division that he was looking to clear out all of the top contenders on his way back to a second shot at the title. He also let it be known that he was looking to finish each and every one of them just as he did Robinson.

Two more fights and two more finishes followed and at UFC 87, Florian faces another tough challenge as Roger Huerta now stands in his way of a possible shot at the 155-pound divisional crown.

Florian has been working hard alongside long time trainer Mark DellaGrotte, while focusing on all the things he needs to do to win his next fight. While Florian respects Huerta, he doesn’t believe there is one facet of the game that his opponent out matches him going into the fight.

“I really believe I have an advantage everywhere,” he said during a recent appearance on MMAWeekly Radio. “If I go in there and I fight a dynamic fight, like I can, he’s not going to be sure whether I’m going to take him down, whether I’m going to strike with him, whether I want to come with a knee or if I’m going to do a kick, a punch, an elbow; he has to be worried about a lot of things with me.”

Both fighters have always been extremely well spoken of each other in the past, but a now controversial interview with Roger Huerta produced by the UFC has spurned a little extra motivation in Florian.

“He’s got to go in there and be confident and know that he’s going to win and I’m the same way,” commented Florian. “Of course there’s a way to do it respectfully, but Roger’s saying it’s going to be a cakewalk. I don’t think he believes that and if he does believe it, he’s going to be in trouble.”

Regardless of hype, the real prize in this fight could be a shot at the UFC lightweight title, but current champion B.J. Penn has his sites set on a welterweight showdown with the winner of Georges St. Pierre and Jon Fitch. While titles are great, Florian is only focused on one thing right now.

“I don’t know first of all what B.J.’s going to do. Who knows what B.J.’s going to do tomorrow or the next day? Looks like he’s going to fight GSP at the end of December. That’s what I feel is going to happen. That’s what I’m hearing is going to happen,” Florian said. “One thing I know for sure is when I fight Roger Huerta, I’m going to have another tough fight. And that’s exactly what I want.

“The belt is great of course. I want that, great prestige, a lot of prestige with that and probably more money of course, but the main thing is me being able to fight the top guys.”

The Boston native will get a chance to take one more step towards that title shot when he faces Roger Huerta on Saturday night in Minnesota at UFC 87.

Last edited 8/6/08 4:18PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   8/6/08 4:17:12PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Kenny FTW

Post #2   8/6/08 4:28:50PM   

KINGJAMES

FORUM BANNED

KINGJAMES Avatar

Career:187-127
Chips:
i believe him. Ken-Flo ftw

Post #3   8/6/08 4:30:40PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
war florian

Post #4   8/6/08 4:59:59PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,466-857
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Go get 'em KenFlo. This will be fight of the night!

Post #5   8/6/08 5:02:23PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
The title is pretty much why I have him winning....but I still think he's an incredibly disrespectful fighter and winning by cut is nothing anyone should be proud of. I still think he's going to beat Huerta but I'd love to see Kenny fight Joe Stevenson.

Post #6   8/6/08 5:02:27PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I would agree with you in most cases that winning by cut is not something to be proud of, but he legaly cuts guy and is very good at it. He opens big wounds that make it so the guy can't continue. For some reason with Kenny I let the winning by cut thing go.

Post #7   8/6/08 5:26:16PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

I would agree with you in most cases that winning by cut is not something to be proud of, but he legaly cuts guy and is very good at it. He opens big wounds that make it so the guy can't continue. For some reason with Kenny I let the winning by cut thing go.

It doesn't matter if he does it legally for me the reason fighters can't continue is because they are bleeding too much not because they are injured or are submitted. To go out there and want that to happen is just sorry in my opinion. He has alot of skill but when he goes out there and says " He finishes fights" and the way he does it is by cutting them after getting dominated like in the fight with Chris Leben on the show its just sad.
Another example is if he beat Sherk by cut what a joke that would have been because he got destroyed by Sherk I think Kenny has a lot of talent but to come out and say you want the fight to end like that just irks me to no end.

Post #8   8/6/08 7:39:59PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i dont think kenny is disrespectufll at all ... only with lauzon but that was a 2 way street ... ken flo just says it how it is he finishes it and u gotta love fights who do that not finishing fights is a big reason y i dislike sherk and griffn

Post #9   8/6/08 8:41:14PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

i dont think kenny is disrespectufll at all ... only with lauzon but that was a 2 way street ... ken flo just says it how it is he finishes it and u gotta love fights who do that not finishing fights is a big reason y i dislike sherk and griffn

Agree to disagree I don't remember him being disrespectful with Lauzon honestly with Din yes Sherk yes.

Post #10   8/6/08 8:51:25PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Im going to say this will be Sub of the night

Huerta is gonna get a rude awakening

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #11   8/7/08 1:00:36AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
i really do not see how huerta wins this one. this fight is much more lopsided than i think most people are seeing it. i think it is so lopsided that huerta may not make it out of round one before getting subbed. we all saw what clay was able to do to roger before he got reckless and got caught and while kenny may not be as strong a wrestler as clay, he has such a good ground game and he is very strong for a 55'er even though he doesnt look it (remember the guy hung with the 185 lb guy on the show). im looking forward to the fight, im just not sure how competitive it really will be as i dont see roger having any edge anywhere, and i do not really think he is even close in any area.

Post #12   8/7/08 9:40:08AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by postman

It doesn't matter if he does it legally for me the reason fighters can't continue is because they are bleeding too much not because they are injured or are submitted. To go out there and want that to happen is just sorry in my opinion. He has alot of skill but when he goes out there and says " He finishes fights" and the way he does it is by cutting them after getting dominated like in the fight with Chris Leben on the show its just sad.
Another example is if he beat Sherk by cut what a joke that would have been because he got destroyed by Sherk I think Kenny has a lot of talent but to come out and say you want the fight to end like that just irks me to no end.

Now say its late in the 3rd round and sherk had kenny on his back and dove in for a flying punch and he happened to fall into a triangle and had to tap. Is that any less impressive then a well place elbow above a guys eye that made it so the fight needed to be stoped? I know its not the coolest when a fight stops due to a cut but its a part of his game that guys better prepare for or there is a good chance they will lose due to it.

On a side note did you guys see the tap out show lastnight with Dan Louzon. How strange that must have been going to Mark D's gym right before Kenny and joe are about to fight. To add to the tension didn't Joe and Dan make a video mocking Kenny?

Post #13   8/7/08 1:48:04PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by postman

Now say its late in the 3rd round and sherk had kenny on his back and dove in for a flying punch and he happened to fall into a triangle and had to tap. Is that any less impressive then a well place elbow above a guys eye that made it so the fight needed to be stoped? I know its not the coolest when a fight stops due to a cut but its a part of his game that guys better prepare for or there is a good chance they will lose due to it.

On a side note did you guys see the tap out show lastnight with Dan Louzon. How strange that must have been going to Mark D's gym right before Kenny and joe are about to fight. To add to the tension didn't Joe and Dan make a video mocking Kenny?

In my opinion it is quite different because it takes skill for a submission and to throw and elbow its not too much skill though I see what your seeing I disagree but I understand what you mean.

Post #14   8/7/08 2:40:48PM