Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Any one know any serra status?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
how many fights he has left under contract, his plans etc.

Hughes said he was out till jan, maybe feb and wants to fianlly fight serra.

Im sure serra wants this fight as well, but to what extent. If he is still under contract is it smart for him to just sit and wait for hughes? I would have thought he might fight before that just to avoide ring rust.

I know he's said the main reason he went on TUF was to promote serra jits, and thats taking off right now, so hes training his fighters and teaching classes, im sure he's busy

I guess what im really asking is, if he doesnt have anymore fights left, or if they wpuld be willing to release him, would he/should he just retire, as opposed to giving the fight to hughes.

ps: im pretty sure if he has a fight left, he will fight hughes, just because dana wouldnt want to release him when there is a ppv to sell

Last edited 8/6/08 11:53AM server time by mfother
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   8/6/08 11:51:34AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Actually, Serra had been hurt too. Back injury (herniated disc) forced the Hughes fight, which was scheduled for UFC 79, to be postponed. That's why they did GSP-Hughes for the interim title. Serra-Hughes is still going to happen at some point, UFC's already invested too much into it going all the way back to even before TUF 6.

Post #2   8/6/08 1:33:00PM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
right, but remember that fight was supposed to be last december. Serra has healed up, otherwise he wouldnt have fought gsp. The next fight was supposed to be hughes serra, but hughes did the ufc a huge favor headlinng 85 after every single main event fell apart. (just like gsp did when serra was hurt). Now that hughes has a bum knee, its gonna be at least jan. until they fight

What i was saying is, now that serra's bussiness is booming (the reason he came back to ufc) what is his motivation, to keep waiting for a fight (besides that he doesnt like matt, which alot of it could be hype and editing)

why take a fight, after a huge layoff, when all you wanted is exposure, which pulling one of the biggest upsets and winning the belt got him. Does he really want to risk possibly going out of the ufc on back to back losses?

Post #3   8/6/08 1:47:28PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Actually, Serra had been hurt too. Back injury (herniated disc) forced the Hughes fight, which was scheduled for UFC 79, to be postponed. That's why they did GSP-Hughes for the interim title. Serra-Hughes is still going to happen at some point, UFC's already invested too much into it going all the way back to even before TUF 6.

Serra cant help but to get hurt can he, in the fight against GSP he had a torn bicep.

Post #4   8/6/08 2:19:10PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by casey64

Posted by DCRage

Serra cant help but to get hurt can he, in the fight against GSP he had a torn bicep.

so that's why he mounted zero offense the entire fight.

Post #5   8/6/08 5:33:08PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
he mounted zero offense because gsp realized his wrestling is amazing, and serra's bottom game ju-jitsu isn't that good (relative to gsp)

the best bet is that hughes-serra will be the first fight at madison square garden. so a few things need to happen for that.

Post #6   8/6/08 5:35:13PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I'm thinking it's a late January or February fight based on Hughes recently saying he'll be 100% around early January. Would be great if it could be on a Super Bowl weekend card assuming UFC does another one around that time.

Post #7   8/6/08 5:38:01PM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Career:1,080-784
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I hope Hughes kills him!!! Serra has a loud mouth & very disrepectful.
But he always seems to have something wrong with him when it comes to fighting or he lets it be known after he loses the fight.
He's never been that good in the UFC & him saying he only came back to plug his school? Whatever, if so fine blah blah blah.
He gotr off a very lucky punch in the first fight with GSP then talked smack the whole time about how he's gonna prove everybody wrong that it wasn't a fluke he beat GSP. BLAH BLAH BLAH, GSP spanked his azz in the rematch proving what everyone was saying .................lucky punch......now gimmie me belt back punk!!!
So I guess my point is who cares where he is or of he gonna fight again IMO.
He's a never was & a never should be IMO, but again everyone has their own opinon & this is just mine. I do think that if Serra & Hughes fight it would be good match but I'll go with Hughes................can't wait!

Post #8   8/6/08 7:54:59PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by casey64

didn't Serra tear his bicep years ago?

Personally as time goes on the fight between Serra and Hughes is become less interesting. Since the show Hughes has been humbled by GSP and Alves. Serra has been humbled by GSP. I just don't see the fire between Serra and Hughes, especially after all this time (it will be a year or more before they putatively face off). With the way Hughes has been fighting as of late I can't see him even finishing Serra.

Post #9   8/6/08 9:07:15PM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by casey64

didn't Serra tear his bicep years ago?

Personally as time goes on the fight between Serra and Hughes is become less interesting. Since the show Hughes has been humbled by GSP and Alves. Serra has been humbled by GSP. I just don't see the fire between Serra and Hughes, especially after all this time (it will be a year or more before they putatively face off). With the way Hughes has been fighting as of late I can't see him even finishing Serra. [/QUOTE

I dont know but I have the dvd of that fight, and watching the behind the scenes, he flexed and his bicep was torn bad, it looked bad, note this is at UFC 69. Check out his right bicep.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #10   8/6/08 9:29:54PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Yeah, I thought I heard that after it was torn he never got it fixed or let it heal properly, hence the odd shape, though I was never under the impression that it bothered him.

Post #11   8/6/08 9:36:12PM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Yeah, I thought I heard that after it was torn he never got it fixed or let it heal properly, hence the odd shape, though I was never under the impression that it bothered him.

I would have got it fixed, it looks terrible. He's done everything to himself, torn bicep, hurt his MCL and now injured again and dont know the reason, could someone explain what has happened again.

Post #12   8/6/08 9:41:52PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Here is a quotation from a Serra interview

I took the fight against Dullante I had a torn bicep.

That fight was on March 22, 2002.

Post #13   8/6/08 10:00:06PM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Here is a quotation from a Serra interview

I took the fight against Dullante I had a torn bicep.

That fight was on March 22, 2002.

Yes that is correct, so at UFC 69 when he faught GSP, at the behind the scenes he flexed and it was torn, so after the whole time it still looks that bad.

Post #14   8/6/08 10:02:52PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
I think the Serra v hughes fight is no longer marketable as a main event, I could see it as a co-main event, but like they siad, after all this time i don't think its gonna be that big of a deal, though I would love to see it and finally get to stop hearin all the mindless bs from both of those punks

Post #15   8/7/08 2:53:35AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2