Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cung Le In Talks For Anderson Silva Showdown

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Cung Le is in talks with the UFC about a possible showdown with middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

The sticking point in negotiations is that Le has several fights left on his deal with Californian promotion Strikeforce.

Speaking after a seminar in Richmond, Canada on Saturday, Le revealed that the UFC is looking for a six-fight commitment from him.

But he has three fights left on his contract with Strikeforce and, while his current promotion are happy to “work something out”, the UFC is well known for refusing single-appearance deals.

Nonetheless, Le is hopeful that a compromise can be reached and cited the Royce Gracie-Matt Hughes fight as an example (Gracie was loaned out by K-1 for one fight).

LINK

Post #1   8/5/08 2:48:26PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
That would be great if this fight could happen.I say Anderson takes it within the first round,but if Cung Le could come out and take this fight,well that would even further cement him as a future legend.

Wonder if "both" titles would be on the line?

Post #2   8/5/08 2:51:45PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Chips:
''Nonetheless, Le is hopeful that a compromise can be reached and cited the Royce Gracie-Matt Hughes fight as an example (Gracie was loaned out by K-1 for one fight)''

I think the above line is key. Any potential fight would have to be a one-off

Post #3   8/5/08 2:53:57PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
that would be a cool fight, and if it happend, finally the stubborn walls of the ufc would open up to some interesting matchups.....that being said, silva would destroy le anywhere the fight was taken and make another highligh reel out of him.....he has loads of potential but i dont think hes that high of caliber fighter yet.....i dont even think he's top 10 in the ufc....he hasnt beat anybody other than shamrock and even then shamrock is past his day and is currently overated, and shamrock even had him "on the ropes" in theyre fight....le is also small for a middleweight as well....i can think of other matchups within the pro-elite circle that i'd rather see silva face before le.....i.e. robbie lawler or even a murilo rua given theyre history..even a frank shamrock matchup would be a better fight.....i dont think any of those would beat silva, but still i think would put on better fights

Post #4   8/5/08 2:58:50PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I think Cung could do well against Anderson. He uses the front kick well, and would be key in keeping Anderson at a distance. I do think though that Anderson would eventually get close and catch Cung, and finish him in the 2nd round.

Post #5   8/5/08 3:07:20PM   

NewGuy

Bas Will Destroy Your Liver

NewGuy Avatar

Career:1,348-774
Chips:
I would love to see that fight. I am always interested how top guys in other organizations would do in the UFC. There are many good organizations with many quality fighters. However the UFC has the best talent level as far as how many quality fighters they have in each weight class, except for heavyweight.

I think Anderson takes this fight, but then again I can’t think of any fighter in or around his weight class that I would pick to beat The Spider.

I would guess that if it were a one fight deal then neither belt would be on the line. The logistics of losing your belt to someone not even in your organization would be devastating

Post #6   8/5/08 3:11:13PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
silva would destroy cung le. think about it, shamrock did pretty well standing with le. so how do you think silva will fare? it's a no-brainer. 1st rd (t)ko for silva.

Post #7   8/5/08 3:14:29PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by xphycorx

silva would destroy cung le. think about it, shamrock did pretty well standing with le. so how do you think silva will fare? it's a no-brainer. 1st rd (t)ko for silva.

exactly. or maybe a sub. but there's no way Le would win this fight.

Post #8   8/5/08 3:21:30PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
What an awesome matchup this would be. I've thought about it for a while now. On the ground, Silva wins hands down. But neither fighter is going to take this to the ground. Cung Le has better standup than Silva... I said it. Because of Anderson's pride in not ever losing a standup battle, and not taking the fight to where he knows he can beat him, Silva would lose via KO/TKO. I like Anderson and typically pick him, so don't flame. I just see this fight happening this way.

Post #9   8/5/08 3:34:52PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by xphycorx

My thoughts exactly, and plus i think Shamrock could have destroyed Cung if he tried taking it to the ground, but he tried to prove and point in his stand up and almost put Cung away with his stand up so i see Anderson by total destruction....

Post #10   8/5/08 3:39:43PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,558-1,362
Chips:
At this point in time I'm in no position to Pick against Anderson in any Fight were the Fighter is within 25 Pounds of his Weight, He's proved that his Striking is the Best Pound for Pound and that is you go to the Ground with him then there's a definate chance you're gonna get Submitted. He throws his hands with Power and Technicality and he's the Standard for Striking in MMA. If this Fight actually happens, then I'll take Anderson via 1st Round T(KO).

Post #11   8/5/08 3:52:47PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

Posted by xphycorx

My thoughts exactly, and plus i think Shamrock could have destroyed Cung if he tried taking it to the ground, but he tried to prove and point in his stand up and almost put Cung away with his stand up so i see Anderson by total destruction....

Don't let Frank use his Jedi mind tricks on ya. His TD's have never been impressive. He didn't take him down because he couldn't...and would of looked foolish trying and failing. If the opportunity had presented itself, I guarantee Frank would of taken it to the ground though.

As far as a Silva/Le fight...Silva by 1st or 2nd round T(KO) for sure.

Post #12   8/5/08 4:13:13PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i think cung should have to beat another top contender before he gets a shot. silva had to.

Post #13   8/5/08 4:14:13PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I think Cung would have a pretty good chance here. The guy has world class striking skills. Undefeated in K1 and Sanshou, as well as MMA of course, but he hasn't faced a great deal of competition in that respect.

He can't knock Silva out, although his roundhouse kicks to the body could do some serious damage. I just don't think you can count Cung out, because Anderson isn't known for taking guys down so it wou.ld be a standup war and that's Cung's speciality. It's a very different matchup for Silva.

I want this fight to happen so bad. If Dana makes it happen, I'm going to shut my mouth at least for a while regarding his tactics.

I thought it was interesting that Cung noted Anderson Silva's four losses have all been by asians. Awesome stuff lol!

Last edited 8/5/08 4:20PM server time by luke420187
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   8/5/08 4:14:48PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
this fight would be a great test for silva stand up, but if it goes to the ground 1st round sub silva wins

Post #15   8/5/08 4:29:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2