Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lesnar faces must-win against Herring

Print  
Who Wins
Brock Lesnar 23 48%
Heath Herring 20 42%
Who Knows???? 5 10%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
On Saturday night, Brock Lesnar goes into the cage with Heath Herring to answer a question: Is previous fame heading into a mixed martial arts career a blessing or a curse?

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment star, is one of the greatest athletic prospects to ever come into the sport. He has size, strength and, most of all, incredible quickness and reflexes for a man who had to cut weight to make the 265-pound heavyweight limit.

But as he heads into Saturday’s UFC 87 showdown against rugged veteran Heath Herring, he runs the risk that his headlining fame will be over just as quickly as it started.

Click here for full article

Post #1   8/5/08 10:52:54AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I understand that Brock can't help but be a big draw given his history history in Pro Wrestling. So I can see the reasons for putting him on a main card, it just plain makes financial sense for the UFC to do so.

Here is my problem, and I know I'll get flamed for it by some....While Brock is probably the most physically gifted HW in MMA today, his MMA experience is on par with the likes of Valesquez and Carwin. You don't see the UFC putting those guys at risk of starting out 0-2 for the company. And you don't see the UFC putting those guys out front-and-center either.

I also know that Brock wants to "fight only the best." But seriously, they should ease him in at least a little. I don't understand how he didn't start out dismantling the likes of O'Brien or Hardonk for starters. Those guys have been around a while. You could make the case that they are legitimate competition. THEN let Brock lick his chops against some higher end fighters.

I'm not certain that the UFC hasn't handled Brock's stardum any better than Kimbo's. They are polar opposites in the match-ups that they have taken: Kimbo is getting ripped for fighting total losers, but Brock may find himself searching for a new promotion soon. Which is the better career path so far?

And what's even worse is that if Lesnar loses this match, the UFC will be forced to feed him a total pud just to get him back in the win column. All that will do is further the belief that he cannot compete against the top talent.

To me, it just seams that the UFC hasn't done due diligents in trying to build up Lesnar as a star in this sport.

Last edited 8/5/08 11:18AM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/5/08 11:14:09AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think UFC handled lesnar all. Dont get me wrong though im a lesnar fan since his WWE days. You know how cain and shane are getting lower level fighters to face but they've also had more fights than lesnar.

So lesnar should have been started off with lower level fighters to face so that he can work his way into MMA, since UFC signed to a good contract or thats what it says in the article. It wouldnt be good to sign lesnar to this deal and have him lose because he's only facing big names for his first couple of fights and then he'll face to leave the org and try to put together some wins elsewhere and then comeback to the ufc.

Post #3   8/5/08 11:16:29AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,808-1,136
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think part of the reason he is fighting top fighters in the UFC is cause he gets paid a ton of money

Last edited 8/5/08 11:23AM server time by spidersilva
Edit note/reason: n/a

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   8/5/08 11:22:41AM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
I have always, and will continue to hate 'professional wrestling,' ala the WWE, TNT, etc.
Brock Lesnar has tremendous upside. Aside from the fact that he's a huge money draw, he is quite young, and is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler. With more work on his JJ and other facets, he may turn out to be a good fighter.
The UFC has thrown some serious talent at him. Mir is one of the best JJ guys, along with Big Nog, Werdum, and others, in the HW division. And now he has to fight Herring, who has some great experience fighting high-caliber HW's. The UFC should've did what EliteXC has done with Kimbo. Throw some lower-caliber fighters to build him and his confidence up. Granted, EliteXC doesn't have near the talent in the HW division as the UFC, but still (they do have Bigfoot Silva, who'll probably be part of the future of the HW division).
Another problem is that Brock is so muscular. The more muscles you have, the harder the heart has to work to feed oxygen to those parts of the body. He was winded after his fight with Mir. Imagine if this fight with Herring goes past the first round! He'll fall over dead in the cage. You never know though, his conditioning may have improved. I guess we'll see.

Post #5   8/5/08 11:42:06AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
The title of this thread is dumb.
This fight is far from a "must win" for either fighter.

Post #6   8/5/08 11:46:03AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,000-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Herring by Headshot yeeeeeehaaaaaw

Post #7   8/5/08 12:08:11PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by Branwest

I have always, and will continue to hate 'professional wrestling,' ala the WWE, TNT, etc.
Brock Lesnar has tremendous upside. Aside from the fact that he's a huge money draw, he is quite young, and is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler. With more work on his JJ and other facets, he may turn out to be a good fighter.
The UFC has thrown some serious talent at him. Mir is one of the best JJ guys, along with Big Nog, Werdum, and others, in the HW division. And now he has to fight Herring, who has some great experience fighting high-caliber HW's. The UFC should've did what EliteXC has done with Kimbo. Throw some lower-caliber fighters to build him and his confidence up. Granted, EliteXC doesn't have near the talent in the HW division as the UFC, but still (they do have Bigfoot Silva, who'll probably be part of the future of the HW division).
Another problem is that Brock is so muscular. The more muscles you have, the harder the heart has to work to feed oxygen to those parts of the body. He was winded after his fight with Mir. Imagine if this fight with Herring goes past the first round! He'll fall over dead in the cage. You never know though, his conditioning may have improved. I guess we'll see.

i dont know if i would consider brock lesnar young at 31. but i said what you said should have had brock have some lesser fighters to get some exp and wins before throwing him in with the big dogs.

but brock needs to win this fight though because if he looses after herring he might have to go somewhere else to put some wins together. Or if he looses to herring and then maybe they will give brock some lesser opponents.

Post #8   8/5/08 12:29:54PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Here is my problem, and I know I'll get flamed for it by some....While Brock is probably the most physically gifted HW in MMA today, his MMA experience is on par with the likes of Valesquez and Carwin. You don't see the UFC putting those guys at risk of starting out 0-2 for the company. And you don't see the UFC putting those guys out front-and-center either.

Lesnar has a really good chance at losing to the UFC HW bottom feeders. Considering how much money he makes per fight, it does make sense for the UFC to put him against top competition. When Lesnar gets dismantled, at least he fought the top fighters.

Post #9   8/5/08 12:58:13PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
I have thought about Brock Lesnar's purpose in the UFC for a while because I don't like him and I want him to lose. When I put myself in Dana's shoes it is beneficial to have a draw like Brock on a main card. For the UFC it is a win win situation. The UFC has always targeted the pro wrestling fans in their promotion and marketing. To promote Brock as the future of the HW division or this beast that is going to devour every opponent til he gets to the top is very appealing to the potential MMA fan. If Brock wins then they will have that sense of pride like their team just won the Superbowl. If he loses then they will realize that there is a real combat sport full of bigger, tougher, meaner athletes and its called MMA. MMA makes WWE look like a ballet.

I like Heath a lot and I expect him to look better than ever as he makes a fool out of Brock and honorably represents Mixed Martial Arts.

War Heath

Post #10   8/5/08 6:53:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I believe Lesnar has a legitimate shot at being a decent MMA fighter. I stop at decent because I believe time is not on his side in terms of developing the other facets of his game which will make him a force. At 31 he's light years behind fighters like Werdum, Big Nog and Mir when you assess over all skill set. I believe Brock's best shot is to develop a great stand up game and semi-decent JJ skills and he could be another decent contender in the HW division. I believe Herring will win this fight but will be pulling for Lesnar to put on a performance which makes a statement. I think a split decision win for Herring would be beneficial to both fighters in this instance. I agree that to put Lesnar in the octagon with a former HW champ for his first bout was a complete mistake even as good as his stand up and takedowns were everyone saw a sub coming eventually. I think if he loses this fight maybe a showdown between him and Cain would be a great platform to assess whether or not the UFC invested too much into a fighter without a great amount of experience. 2 amazing wrestlers squaring off. Man that would be great!

Post #11   8/5/08 9:57:49PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
It going to be fast and furious in the first min and a half. brock might get him there. If not i say Herring tries to take down brock to no avail and gets GnPd soon after. With Brocks hype i instinctive want to root against him.....but i think he is going to make a splash in the HW division. If he wins and Cain Velesquez is ready i would love to see them hook up and brawl.

Post #12   8/5/08 10:38:06PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Either way WAR Cain!!

Post #13   8/5/08 10:50:05PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Seriously, they thought Mir was a can and tossed him to Frank. Truth is, Mir has looked like a can for a long time....until he fought Lesnar. Then he looked like a submission genius. He hasn't looked that good....well in forever. It's even inspired him to start working out again judging by the way he looks in his WEC announcing job.

Post #14   8/6/08 12:29:25AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Herring by Headshot yeeeeeehaaaaaw

Lesnar is going to punch him in the face

Post #15   8/6/08 12:35:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2