Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC-UFC Talent Merger in the Works?

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Talk of a potential migration of the WEC’s 205- and 185-pound divisions to the UFC could be more than just rumors, and the answer might play out in the coming months.

For months, rumors have been circulating -– and, occasionally reported in MMA media outlets -– that the WEC may disband those two divisions and send some of the top fighters competing there to the UFC.

Reed Harris, WEC president, declined to confirm or deny the status of a potential reshuffling of the rosters when contacted Monday by Sherdog.com. Harris did confirm that the concept has been acknowledged as a possibility by UFC president Dana White, and matchmakers Joe Silva and Scott Adams of the UFC and WEC, respectively.

“We have had some discussions about our weight divisions, but nothing has been set or finalized,” Harris said. “We’ve heard the same rumors. We’ve had those discussions since day one. About what weight classes (might be involved), I really have no official statement. I know people are talking about it. I’ve had reporters call me and ask the same questions for eight months about it.”

Link

Post #1   8/5/08 6:51:17AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Would be the best for both brands. Those divisions are lacking in the WEC. Plus the talent the do have in those divisions I'd like to see how'd they do in the UFC. Cantwell, Filho, and Sonnen to be exact.

Post #2   8/5/08 6:57:36AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
there is no one worthy in light heavyweight but in mddle i would take chael and paulo and cut all the rest out

Post #3   8/5/08 9:33:26AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I agree Paulo and Chael in and I would give give Cantwell and Stann a shot.
Maybe Stann against Alexander and Cantwell against Lambert.
and Condit should be coming over too. 1st fight for him should be Hazelett or Swick

Post #4   8/5/08 10:06:22AM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i like the idea. i think the ufc should get rid of the WW division in the wec too. bring condit and larson over, and maybe a couple others from the WW division. filho and sonnen are probably the only 2 mw's they would bring over. lhw's stann, cantwell, and marshall (can't stand him) would probably come over too. having batams, feathers, and lightweights sounds like a good idea for the wec.

Post #5   8/5/08 11:07:30AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Cantwell can be like a guy that is there in 205 along with stann but never contend.

Chael and Paulo would be a good addition to 185, mostly because i would to see chael get beat down.

Condit is not going to come to ufc.

Post #6   8/5/08 12:21:53PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Why would Condit come over he is on top there and he comes to the ufc he will be middle of the road.

Post #7   8/5/08 12:55:05PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,845-1,130
Camp: The Underground
Chips:

Posted by postman

Why would Condit come over he is on top there and he comes to the ufc he will be middle of the road.

Uhh because all of the top 170lb fighters outside of Jake Shields reside in the UFC....Because there isn't anyone left for him to fight in the WEC that will give him a challenge? More pay? More press? The list goes on and on...The Question is why WOULDNT Carlos Condit come over to the UFC?

Post #8   8/5/08 1:08:10PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
The WEC doesn't offer to many fighters that will suceed in the UFC. Condit will do alright, but never be a title holder in the UFC. Filho should do well, but I thought he was talking moving to 205? I do not think he would be as effective there, especially in the UFC. Having the UFC lower LHW's go and compete in the WEC makes sense to me, guys like Houston Alexander would boost the division and make it more competitive.

Post #9   8/5/08 1:16:46PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

Posted by Mchubb316

The WEC doesn't offer to many fighters that will suceed in the UFC. Condit will do alright, but never be a title holder in the UFC. Filho should do well, but I thought he was talking moving to 205? I do not think he would be as effective there, especially in the UFC. Having the UFC lower LHW's go and compete in the WEC makes sense to me, guys like Houston Alexander would boost the division and make it more competitive.

yes keep the wec in
i think all the guys that get dropped by the ufc should immediately get sent to the wec for like 2 fights win or lose
if they continue to lose drop them again if they stay in the middle keep them wec if they rise to the top bring them back to the ufc
rob macdonald houston alexander and hector ramirez id like to see in the lh wec
charles mccarthy kalib starnes and david louseiu at middle
luigi fiorivanti josh burkman and tony desouza at ww
jorge gurgel jeremy stephens and sam stout at lightweight
any of these guys in these divisions would definitely change the tune of the divisions

Post #10   8/5/08 3:28:30PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by postman

Uhh because all of the top 170lb fighters outside of Jake Shields reside in the UFC....Because there isn't anyone left for him to fight in the WEC that will give him a challenge? More pay? More press? The list goes on and on...The Question is why WOULDNT Carlos Condit come over to the UFC?

I disagree he was close to losing many times in that fight on sunday. He is top dog in the WEC under only Faber and if he is the face of that company we will make alot more money then he would as a mid road guy in the UFC. That is all he would be, GSP, Kos, Fitch, Hughes, Alves, Karo, Deigo, All would smash him. IMO

Last edited 8/5/08 5:14PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/5/08 4:47:48PM