Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

How do i get my strikes and elbow strikes faster?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
Anyone have some good ideas on how i get my strikes and elbow strikes faster? Cause i am working on them but cant seem to get them quicker on the trigger. Well is there any drills you can do with the punching bag? and maybe even my knees?

Post #1   3/3/07 4:57:07PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Resistance training. Use resistance belts and wrist weights.

Post #2   3/3/07 5:10:22PM   

SCInferno

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
How about kicks? Anybody know a way to get them faster?

Post #3   3/3/07 5:12:29PM   

deadcore

MMA Regular

deadcore Avatar

Career:69-52
Camp: FSC Fight Club
Chips:
Practice kicking stuff

Post #4   3/3/07 9:25:55PM   

SCInferno

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I probably deserved that.

Post #5   3/3/07 11:21:45PM   

deadcore

MMA Regular

deadcore Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SCInferno

I probably deserved that.

ha, seriously though. get some rubberbands and hook it to something low and stretch to the point of attack. i do it with my arms too but use surgical tubing type stuff. but make sure you stop doing it about a week before your fight to let it take the optimum effect

Post #6   3/4/07 12:44:14AM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Career:200-146
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Speed my friend is a god given gift...you can practice and train and get your body to its best potential...but what is your potential that is the question...butterbean will never be as fast as Diaz...not with all the resistant training in the world. Power is the same...Get in shape and develop your skills and use them to your advantage.

Post #7   3/4/07 12:48:42AM   

deadcore

MMA Regular

deadcore Avatar

Chips:

Posted by greeneyebandit

Speed my friend is a god given gift...you can practice and train and get your body to its best potential...but what is your potential that is the question...butterbean will never be as fast as Diaz...not with all the resistant training in the world. Power is the same...Get in shape and develop your skills and use them to your advantage.

that is for sure. but you can improve a bit. the way you muscle build can make a difference too

Post #8   3/4/07 12:55:09AM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
yea ur kinda born with speed an example is a kid at my school can run a 40 yrd dash faster than a NFL linebacker and hasn't even touched a weight for about 6 months, while all the other sprinters train very hard and are in the weight room all the time, they will never be faster than him.

Post #9   3/4/07 2:00:57PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
True Genetics play a role in determining your speed potential, Theres tonnes of ways to get faster through drills.

checkout www.rossboxing.com. This guy is insane, He trained Frank Shamrock and a few others and his drills are incredible

Post #10   3/4/07 2:08:08PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Chips:

Posted by greeneyebandit

You're right. Some people are just made with slow twitch muscle fibers. You can still train them, to increase to YOUR maximum potential, but like you said, even with all the training in the world, you just may not be that fast. Either way, give resistance training a try, thats what its all about. Get resistance band off of a site. All you need is a pole and a band and you can increase your speed.

Post #11   3/4/07 2:39:17PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

You're right. Some people are just made with slow twitch muscle fibers. You can still train them, to increase to YOUR maximum potential, but like you said, even with all the training in the world, you just may not be that fast. Either way, give resistance training a try, thats what its all about. Get resistance band off of a site. All you need is a pole and a band and you can increase your speed.

Everyone has a mix slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibres. Its part of vertebrate physiology.

Last edited 3/15/07 7:18AM server time by Mastodon2
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/15/07 7:17:45AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by bayonetxwork

Everyone has a mix slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibres. Its part of vertebrate physiology.

...yeah I realize that. But people are either primarily one or the other.

Post #13   3/15/07 5:43:07PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by bayonetxwork

...yeah I realize that. But people are either primarily one or the other.

I agree there's people who can run for hours and not be tired, but are very slow in sprinting and then there are people who can run as fast as a horse in a 40, but can't run for more than 15 min. You're born with either fast or slow twitch muscles. Everyone has both, but some have more than others.

Post #14   3/15/07 5:54:22PM   

MethodMan

MMA Regular

MethodMan Avatar

Career:58-26
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
there is actually three types of mucle fibre Type I Type IIa and Type IIb present in different ratios in all people the ratio also changes with activity level and age. Sorry to break it to those of you who are creeping towards middle age you are fighting a losing battle with maintainance the only real option, However Neuromuscular response can continually be improved as can the number and efficiency of anerobic or aerobic enzymes present in the muscle cells.

Post #15   3/16/07 8:56:07AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2