Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC Bonuses Handed Out; 2 Fights of the Night

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
link

Following another action-packed show by World Extreme Cagefighting in Las Vegas, capped off by welterweight champion Carlos Condit pulling through his toughest fight to date against Hiromitsu Miura, the promotion handed down bonuses as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com

Each fighter earning a bonus received $7,500 in addition to the fight purse in the individual bout agreements.

For the first time, the WEC also handed out two “Fight of the Night” bonuses.

Carlos Condit and Hiromitsu Miura earned a no-brainer for Fight of the Night after their almost four-round war that saw the incumbent champion pushed further in the fight than any previous match-up during his title reign. Both Condit and Miura earned the respect of all the fans watching the match-up and now a bonus check on top.

WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner and Marcus Hicks also earned a Fight of the Night bonus for their respective performances in an amazing fight between the two 155-pound stars.

Knockout of the Night went to Minnesota Martial Arts Academy member Brock Larson, who dispatched of Carlo Prater in just 37 seconds in their welterweight showdown.

Brian Bowles, who moved his professional record to 6-0, earned a Submission of the Night for his guillotine choke victory over Damacio Page.

WEC 35 Fights of the Night:
Carlos Condit vs. Hiromitsu Miura
Jamie Varner vs. Marcus Hicks

WEC 35 Knockout of the Night:
Brock Larson

WEC 35 Submission of the Night:
Brian Bowles

Last edited 8/4/08 11:55PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   8/4/08 11:54:54PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
what?!?!?!?!

Hicks lost in the first round...and half of the round he was eating unanswered shots...how is that fight of the night material?

Post #2   8/5/08 12:05:52AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
i think it would be leaned more towards KOTN, but im guessing they are going off of that submission attempt by hicks and the slams but what do i know.

Post #3   8/5/08 12:22:24AM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i don't remember the wec ever offering bonuses. is this the first time? it is nice to see, that's for sure..

Post #4   8/5/08 12:26:11AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

what?!?!?!?!

Hicks lost in the first round...and half of the round he was eating unanswered shots...how is that fight of the night material?

Display of heart + chin from Hicks, had that been someone else they probably would have gone down long before. I guess this is Zuffa's way of compensating Hicks for taking it like a man, + very impressive victory for Varner, which again they'll compensate him for putting a good show.

Post #5   8/5/08 12:48:03AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

what?!?!?!?!

Display of heart + chin from Hicks, had that been someone else they probably would have gone down long before. I guess this is Zuffa's way of compensating Hicks for taking it like a man, + very impressive victory for Varner, which again they'll compensate him for putting a good show.

i get why they would want to compensate them..but titling it co-fight of the night is ridiculous. Condit vs Miura was a top 5 FOTY candidate while that fight was just a guy eating some brutal punches. taking punishment does not make a fight FOTN, it just shows that the fighter can take a hit. a FOTN must at least last 5 min and be back and forth throughout the majority with a fast pace, not a 1st round KO...

Post #6   8/5/08 12:52:03AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xphycorx

i don't remember the wec ever offering bonuses. is this the first time? it is nice to see, that's for sure..

The fight bonuses is Zuffa's trademark, they are the only ones that do it, kind of saying "put on a good show and you'll get some extra though", which is a big incentive for the fighters, especially for the guys that arent making much to give it their best and not just try to pull out a win. Not sure how long they've been doing it with the WEC, but props to them for doing it

Post #7   8/5/08 12:52:43AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by juanez13

what?!?!?!?!

i get why they would want to compensate them..but titling it co-fight of the night is ridiculous. Condit vs Miura was a top 5 FOTY candidate while that fight was just a guy eating some brutal punches. taking punishment does not make a fight FOTN, it just shows that the fighter can take a hit. a FOTN must at least last 5 min and be back and forth throughout the majority with a fast pace, not a 1st round KO...

Agree, i just think this is Zuffa's way of showing people "put on a good show and you'll be compensated", FOTN i think was just as excuse to show the public + the fighters.

Post #8   8/5/08 12:56:35AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I am glad they gave some more money to Miura.

Post #9   8/5/08 11:31:28AM