Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nick Diaz camp wants KJ Noons but will settle for Hayato ‘Mach’ Sakurai

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Elite XC lightweight contender Nick Diaz provided his hometown fans in Stockton, Calif., with an exciting early second round technical knockout win over Thomas “Wildman” Denny last Saturday night during Elite XC: “Unfinished Business.”

The question now is: What is next for the Cesar Gracie jiu-jitsu black belt?

On the surface there are two very obvious answers to that question, both of which involve world titles. Either Diaz will take on Hayato “Mach” Sakurai (32-8-2) in Japan at DREAM 6 for the company’s welterweight gold, or he’ll finally get his redemption fight against Elite XC lightweight champion KJ Noons (7-2).

So which fight is going to happen?

Diaz has made it clear that he enjoys competing in Japan — where he feels the art of this sport is better appreciated and the rules favor more of a traditional martial arts style. He was already supposed to have fought Sakurai at DREAM 5 two weeks ago, but that fight fell through when Diaz learned he was instead going to fight in Stockton for Elite XC.

It seemed obvious that Diaz would have much rather taken on “Mach” for a world title than a mediocre Thomas Denny in a non-title affair, but there’s more to that story than meets the eye.

Not only was he fighting in his hometown an exciting idea for Diaz, but there’s also some hesitation on his part to compete for DREAM since the Japanese based company has yet to pay him a single dime for his May win over Katsuya Inoue at DREAM 3.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   8/2/08 11:25:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
will settle for sakurai lol. I get that he wants his revenge against noons, but I think Sakurai is the better fighter by a longshot and it's kind of disrespectful to say "I'll settle for him." IMO Sakurai would most likely beat Diaz.

Last edited 8/2/08 11:52PM server time by aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/2/08 11:51:25PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i agree. sakurai.. for shizzle

Post #3   8/3/08 1:32:54AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by Aether

will settle for sakurai lol. I get that he wants his revenge against noons, but I think Sakurai is the better fighter by a longshot and it's kind of disrespectful to say "I'll settle for him." IMO Sakurai would most likely beat Diaz.

to be fair, its the author saying "Settle for Sakurai" not Diaz

Post #4   8/3/08 2:45:42AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Yeah, and not only that but Diaz can take Sakurai....at least 4 out of 5 times. The real thing is that if you don't pay him, how would you expect him to fight for you. The guy needs to eat!!

Post #5   8/3/08 4:59:33AM