Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nobody Wants To Fight Lyoto Machida

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I was watching the fantastic Margarito vs. Cotto fight on Saturday, and all of the talk surrounding Margarito was that nobody wants to fight him. He has an aura around him as a legit tough contender that can damage a money-making reputation. This brought up one name in my head, one fighter in MMA that fits that profile: Lyoto Machida. Lyoto is a fighter that has, in just a short amount of time, made quite a name for himself. Right now, the name is one that high level competition are flat out looking to avoid right now. Lyoto has always had an aura around him, always been met with a certain degree of hype, only to then confuse both fighters and fans.

I remember New Japan Pro Wrestling and Inoki hyping up the debut of the mysterious LYOTO. For those that (luckily) aren’t in the know when it comes to the sordid history of New Japan Pro Wrestling, Antonio Inoki was able to take a company that was incredibly influential to the world of MMA in Japan to a company obsessed with trying to compete with modern MMA, as pro wrestling had been exposed as inferior to MMA. In Inoki’s mind, pro wrestling was just as strong — or stronger — than Mixed Martial Arts. I could write for days on this subject, but instead, I will focus on where LYOTO fits into the picture. Lyoto was Inoki’s hand picked successor to his throne of Japanese fighting star. He was under Inoki’s control, trained where Inoki wanted him to train and only fought on Inoki-approved events.

LINK

Post #1   7/31/08 1:48:14PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I could definetly see why noone wants to fight him, he has a very impressive resume when it comes to opponents he's beaten, Bonnar, BJ, Franklin, Sokojou, Oritz and that's not including the fact that his style of fighting is very awkward for any fighter just ask Tito, who couldn't even get him down.

Post #2   7/31/08 2:00:54PM   

VictimSix

MMA Regular

VictimSix Avatar

Career:89-62
Chips:
Very good read. Machida will get his day in the sun. Hard to get fights for fighters that make everybody look bad. Alot of fans don't seem to care for him, fighters don't want to fight him. After Lyoto beats Silva hopfully Forrest will have to make a mandatory defense against the already #1 contender.

Post #3   7/31/08 2:01:30PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

the fact that his style of fighting is very awkward for any fighter just ask Tito,

Don't forget Elusive

Post #4   7/31/08 2:21:52PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I agree with victimsix, if he beats Silva he should get to then fight Forest. If thats the case and he wins people will be cuing up to fight him.

Problem solved

Post #5   7/31/08 2:22:59PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
well im going to go off what the other fighters have said in the 205 division, they don't want to fight machida because they don't want to fight someone that doesnt come in there to fight. elusive some people call it, but i don't. The top contenders don't want to go to a decision and chase a guy down for 3 rounds. So no wonder no one wants to fight him.

Post #6   7/31/08 2:52:36PM   

Jason-plata

MMA Regular

Jason-plata Avatar

Career:39-34
Chips:
He is an amazing guy, but really who wants to stand in the ring and have him not do anything till you get so pissed that you have to force an attack??

Post #7   7/31/08 2:57:31PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
I really don't agree with comparing Margarito with Machida. That fight with Cotto was amazing, Margarito just kept coming forward and punishing Cotto, even after takiing great shots himself. I have never seen a Machida fight where I was blown away with his skills. I'm not a Machida hater but he needs to step it up in terms of the way he fights.

Post #8   7/31/08 3:02:49PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I'm a huge Machida supporter, but I think he's only going to get a title shot if he finishes Silva. Then most likely he would fight the winner of a Griffen vs Lidell/Evans winner.

Although if all goes according to plan and Lidell can beat Evan and then Griffen, I don't think the UFC would be reluctant to put Machida against Chuck because they will sell a ton of PPV's with Chucks name and if Lyoto were to beat Chuck it would cement Machida's ability in hardcore fans and casual fans alike.

Post #9   7/31/08 3:12:13PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:
Machida will be the greatest of all time because he is a student of Bruce Lee's

"Art of Fighting Without Fighting"

Post #10   7/31/08 4:01:37PM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
Chuck Liddell will fight any man

Post #11   7/31/08 4:29:22PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:

. I have never seen a Machida fight where I was blown away with his skills

What about his demolition of Sokudjou?

Post #12   7/31/08 4:37:09PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
I dont thing Machida can beat Chuck Liddell or Wanderlei Silva and those are the only 2 guys in the LHW division I feel can offer him a 'run' for his money.

I think Liddell would win either by ko or decision. Chuck would definitely keep things standing as he is notorious for. They are both counter strikers, and I think Chuck's reach would come into play in a big way. Tito's arms are seemingly short because his body is so damn wide. I think that is one reason he couldn't land any strikes. Chuck has fast and accurate hands, and Iike I said, his reach will be a factor. Machida does not have the knock-out power to crumble a fighter like Chuck, but he could certainly bloody him up to a tko victory. I really think we would end up seeing a kickboxing match, and the more I talk about it I really would like to see this fight. They have very similar sticking styles the way they hold their hands wide and low, Machida's feet are faster than Chuck, but Chuck has faster hands. It would be very interesteing to see how this would play out. Plus, Chuck really needs to stomp a hole in some asses to get back on top. We all know what he's capable of. He's capable of destroying anyone with his strikes, we know this. But Chuck NEEDS a win over a top level guy like Machida after his losses to Rampage and Jardine and the fact he was unable to put Wanderlei away. Rampage should not have beaten him that darn fast. I think Chuck didn't respect Rampages hands at all and walked right into a ko. Bad game plan. Then the Jardine fight was another bad game plan. Chuck has bombs in his hands and what happens to Jardine when a vicious striker says "**** it" and goes after his ass? Let's ask Houston Alexander and Wandy. I think we all know Chuck has the capability to do the same. Now his fight with Rashad is an expected win but wont bolster his standing in my eyes at least. I dont think Rashas deserves a fighter of this caliber yet. He hasnt proven himself yet so when Chuck whips his ass it wont say that much, and if Chuck goes into this fight with a bad game plan I can see Rashad eeking out a decision over him. Rashad is mostly a wrestler and NO ONE takes Chuck down and keeps him there. No one. So this will be a stand up fight and Rashad has no hope of winning on the feet. I think Chuck should run into his corner and destroy him.

Wanderlei has a good chance of beating Machida because Wandy can beat anyone under the right circumstances. His game plan against Chuck was a stupid one. Boxing with Chuck is a bad idea unless -like Jardine- you have a reach advantage and can hold his countering at bay, and Wandy is a small (in stature, not size) LHW. Wandy should have waded past Chucks striking area and fought that fight in the clinch. His clinch game is deadly, and that's why I think Machida would lost against him. I dont see Machida KO-ing Wandy, he just doesnt have the power. He has the technique to land those ko type of shots but not the ass to put into them, not against a soldier like Wanderlei. Sure Machida has really fast feet and great accuracy, but I think a guy like wanderlei can corner him and work his clinch. That's where Wandy would win this fight.

I think Machida would unquestionably beat any other LHW, but these 2 guys would stop him cold.

What do you think?

Post #13   7/31/08 4:43:05PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:
I think if he fought Chuck it would be a very defensive fight. Both guys like to counter strike and that would make for a slow pace fight. I genuinly dont know who would win that fight.

If Silva rushed Machida and put him under pressure then he could force the KO.

Another LHW who could also do this and is better then Wandy IMO is Shogun.

Post #14   7/31/08 4:49:17PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
thiago silva wants to fight him.

Post #15   7/31/08 5:29:43PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3