Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction VP Stands By PPV Numbers

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Much speculation has surrounded the financial success of Affliction's debut as a mixed martial arts promoter. With a confirmed three million dollar payroll on July 19th, as well as a fifteen thousand seat arena to fill, it seemed a tall order for the clothing company to end up in the black.

But Affliction VP says that the money pit that many imagined wasn't as deep as expected. He won't give specific numbers on its pay per view performance. Like his sometime antagonist, UFC president Dana White, he believes that when people know how much money you make, it creates problems.

"It's been my experience that the UFC doesn't release their numbers, and I try to learn from other companies with mistakes and what they're doing right," Atencio said.

LINK

Last edited 7/31/08 5:28PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/31/08 1:38:24PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Still sounds fishy to me. I think they did 40 to 50 but don't want to give the UFC the satisfaction of knowing.

Post #2   7/31/08 2:03:11PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,916-1,128
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I dont think that they made a proffitt. Not with that wage bill.

Post #3   7/31/08 2:13:32PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He was all about the numbers before, and now suddenly he's holding his cards tight. Stop lying to us Tom.

Post #4   7/31/08 3:05:21PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I think this could be due to the fact that if their next show isn't as successful they don't want it to look poorly on them. If they do better on their next show(say 125,000) then then will release both showing that more and more fans are coming to their show. Just a thought.

Post #5   7/31/08 3:20:39PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I think this could be due to the fact that if their next show isn't as successful they don't want it to look poorly on them. If they do better on their next show(say 125,000) then then will release both showing that more and more fans are coming to their show. Just a thought.

But a good thought

Post #6   7/31/08 3:30:07PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
what a crappy article, the writer did not even cross reference estimated costs for us or anything, I could have read the title and that would have explained the entire article. Did he even ask the VP any questions like, what is well over 100K approximately? How much will your cost go down over time, are you estimating any new advertising to soften blow, anything, what the hell.

Post #7   7/31/08 4:38:35PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:

That makes good business sence.

Post #8   7/31/08 4:40:52PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Look, Dana White is mostly right when he talks about most companies folding. You know why? It toolk FOREVER for the UFC to build up a product that had loyalty to it. they took loss after loss after loss but with solid backing that wouldn't quit on him. They couldn't sell out huge arenas for years. Now, Dana white makes money through UFC and sees a bunch of companies eyeing the money and jumping in without paying their dues. Of course he's pissed. he feels like he built the revenue that others are trying to take. BUt, when companies understand that you have to take losses to get gains and stay in for the long haul while projecting strength despite net losses, eventually the companies will build loyalty. If Affliction was to put on 2-3 more great shows and a mega show their name would be synonymous with "good time on a saturday night fight" and would defintely cut into UFC ppv profit since their model is to do one every few months.

If I have to choose between UFC show that's mehh and an Affliction show that's stacked I buy the Affliction show. If I have to choose between a stacked Affliction show and a pretty good boxing show I'll choose Affliction. then I won't buy another PPV or throw another party for at least a month. ;)

That's how it works. Dana knows that. That's why he's playing hardball with the newbies.

Post #9   7/31/08 11:30:42PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:
Dana White has proved he is here for the long haul, and other companies just cant keep it going and a high standered.

UFC is by far the best MMA company in the world IMO.

Post #10   8/1/08 6:04:12AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
YOu keyed in on the right idea though==in it for the long haul. If you can get financial backers that are in it for the long haul, then you can take losses for a long time before you start turning a real profit and its okay. If you are in it for the short term you won't last because the business is pretty cutthroat and the fans have to believe you have a good product consistently to come around and buy your product instead of one they know--UFC.

Post #11   8/1/08 9:56:04AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:
To people just getting in to the sport UFC = MMA.

Post #12   8/1/08 10:27:29AM