Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roger Huerta: I Don't Care If I FIght In UFC Or Somewhere Else

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The latest disgruntled UFC fighter with regards to fighter compensation is a name UFC shouldn't be getting so disgruntled: Roger Huerta. He recently spoke out about this in an interview with Fight! Magazine.

Article

Post #1   7/31/08 11:47:22AM   

Kugel

MMA Regular

Kugel Avatar

Career:1,538-911
Chips:
It is ridiculous that they expect the fighters to do all of the PR stuff, go out and put their bodies on the line and don't get paid that much. Especially a guy like Roger who is undefeated inside the Octagon. I don't blame them a bit for being disgruntled, especially since there are other places to fight. If a person doesn't think they are making what they deserve in the regular 9-5 world and they can make more elsewhere they usually go.

Post #2   7/31/08 12:08:23PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i think the minimum a fighter should make in the ufc is $25,000/$25,000 win bonus. anyone making less than that is getting screwed, and that's most of the fighters in the ufc.

Post #3   7/31/08 12:09:02PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
agree that they should get paid alot but they also get under the table bonus' which nobody really knows how much. it saves them from paying taxes on it so that helps a fighter abit but they have alot of risk and few get a good reward

also though they signed the contract so if it was so bad why did they sign it. if a fighter finishes his contract then he has the right to explore what his options are. if i was ufc i would redo his current deal because he has a bright future and seems like a guy you would want around for some time

Last edited 7/31/08 12:32PM server time by gabe531
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/31/08 12:28:13PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,998-1,180
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would be gutted if he left the UFC, i cant remember seeing him in a boring fight abd his next fight against KenFlo as FOTY written all over it.

Post #5   7/31/08 1:10:49PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

agree that they should get paid alot but they also get under the table bonus' which nobody really knows how much. it saves them from paying taxes on it so that helps a fighter abit but they have alot of risk and few get a good reward

During the Randy fiasco this was addressed.

First of all, both Dana and Randy confirmed they are not "off the books" They are give a 1099 for it and it's reported to the IRS. It's just not reported to the AC's because it's not required, just like PPV cuts.

And Dana said it became expected and caused some problems, not just with Randy, but with some others, that are not doing any more "random bonuses" or whatever you want to call them.

I agree with the contract thing. If you signed it, you should honor it. But, I think the UFC pressures new guys into signing long term contracts. It doesn't play with the bigger stars, but the young guys just want to get in. They start winning and doing good and they realized they should be getting more and more but they are stuck in an old, crappy contract.

I remember that Rich Franklin had something like a 9 fight contract that he was still on as Champ. He was getting 14K/14K if I remember right. Sad thing is that his last fight before renegotiations (8th fight) was against Anderson.

Post #6   7/31/08 1:34:38PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
If you don't like the contract don't sign it. OMG it is that simple people.

Post #7   7/31/08 2:12:39PM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,894-1,182
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
there are plenty of fighter out there who would be happy whith what Huerta is making and plenty of up and comers let him leave I haven't seen Jardine compaining plust as they get bigger they make more I have been a Huerta fan for some time maybe he should look into something more before he does it just a thought anyway he is gonna be picked apart by Florian

and WTF why should people have to be best buddies its a job they don't have to do much for the fighter but pay them for the contracts the UFC has made Huerta huge and he will fall hard if he decides to leave the UFC and goes to Japan

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #8   7/31/08 2:13:54PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:
These guys get to live a life that most people would love. Take Frankiln for example: He works hard and is excellent at what he does. He was earning 14 and 14. Thats 28 k for 8 weeks training and a fight that lasts max of 25 mins.On top of that he gets sponcership which Im sure is a lot more, and he is doing a job which he loves.

People will always want more its in are nature.

Post #9   7/31/08 2:17:52PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

These guys get to live a life that most people would love. Take Frankiln for example: He works hard and is excellent at what he does. He was earning 14 and 14. Thats 28 k for 8 weeks training and a fight that lasts max of 25 mins.On top of that he gets sponcership which Im sure is a lot more, and he is doing a job which he loves.

People will always want more its in are nature.

Umm. That's assuming he wins and is uninjured.

Against Anderson he made $14k for 8 weeks of training, a broken nose and 12 more weeks out with injuries. 20 weeks is almost half a year.

Post #10   7/31/08 4:21:12PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:

Umm. That's assuming he wins and is uninjured.

Thats a great point, but how much sponcership would he have earnt, he is considered a top level fighter.

I imagine he is already set up for life and he earns a hell of lot more then most people.

If he wasnt getting sponcership as well then I would agree with you, but his purse is probably not even half of what he earns on fight night.

Post #11   7/31/08 5:00:13PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
True about sponsors money. Rich made over 6 figures in sponsors (from the CNBC show on MMA)

Sponsorship doesn't cost the UFC anything. They even have approval authority on which sponsors they can take.

The UFC's bottom line continues to grow and you expect their SPONSORS to do them right? Imagine that thought in any other sport.

Post #12   8/1/08 12:16:25AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
What you guys are missing is fighter expenses. They have to pay for licensing, their camp and corner men, cut men, ect. 28k isn't very much when you have to pay for all of that. Also for guys like Jardine are they not required to stay with the UFC unless they are released? I don't quite get how that all works.

Post #13   8/1/08 12:56:49AM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,894-1,182
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
what people arn't getting is this is what they chose to be paid for fighting do a good job and make a name and youll be paid hell Chuck wasn't the best in the world but he was exciding and KOed a few people and made some cash they know this we know this Huerta will get a better contract but I don't know a lot of guys who cry tend to be on the outside looking in right now

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #14   8/1/08 1:10:56AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Chips:
If you are worth the money UFC will pay it, if you are not you will end up at smaller org earning less any way. There is no way that Affliction can keep up those type of Saleries, so unless you fight in Japan UFC is still the best paid company in MMA that is not on the verge of going out of business.

Post #15   8/1/08 5:57:14AM