Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

So How would GSP do in the 185lbs division????

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
So I made a thread on Thiago Alves and how I thought he would do in the 185 class....

Man I was shocked when people said he would get destroyed??

IMO he would at least beat Bisping and maybe Leban......

But anyhow I got me thinking on how the very popular and well loved (nuthugged) GSP would fair in this weight class...

Please tell the level of fighter in this class GSP could beat...

Is he as good as Leban or better than Hendo for example

Post #1   7/30/08 8:59:09PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
GSP wouldn't be able to hang with Anderson Silva, Henderson or Franklin imo. he is not big enough for 185 and he would never win the belt. he is a very talented fighter, but weight classes are there for a reason, and although we all know what happened to Irvin after he said that, i still think he has a valid point. the best of 185 would be able to defeat GSP imo.

Post #2   7/30/08 9:05:58PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
GSP has made his career of beating wrestlers.

Not only is fighting at a higher weight class harder, he will be fighting a division full of strikers. Nate Marquat, Chris Leben, Patrick Cote, Bisping, Anderson Silva, ect. Henderson is really the only high class wrestler and I think that would be a great fight but other than that, GSP belongs at his comfortable weight which is WW.
P4P, GSP is good but I still think Fedor and Silva are above him cause I think they are more balanced. Penn vs GSP 2 will determine the #3 and #4 spot

Post #3   7/30/08 9:25:28PM   

SociopathX

MMA Regular

SociopathX Avatar

Career:210-126
Chips:
GSP would get his poop pushed in by teh Spider or Hendo.

I think he would hold his own against just about anyone else though.

Bisping has really impressed me at middleweight and I think he would give GSP trouble.

Last edited 7/30/08 9:28PM server time by SociopathX
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/30/08 9:27:48PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

So I made a thread on Thiago Alves and how I thought he would do in the 185 class....

But anyhow I got me thinking on how the very popular and well loved (nuthugged) GSP would fair in this weight class...

why no love for bisping, the only fight he didn't look good in was rashad and hammil who were obviously too big for him, give the guy a shot at 185, jason day is a good fighter and bisping manhandled him. i don't think a win over leben will get him the respect he deserves either.

Post #5   7/30/08 9:45:39PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Kracker_Jap

why no love for bisping, the only fight he didn't look good in was rashad and hammil who were obviously too big for him, give the guy a shot at 185, jason day is a good fighter and bisping manhandled him. i don't think a win over leben will get him the respect he deserves either.

In my opinion, josh haynes notwithstanding, McCarthy and Day are the only fights he's look REALLY good in. I think the main reason why Disping gets no love is because he has yet to beat a contender. The closest thing to a contender he's faced is Evans, and neither guy looked great in that fight. I agree tho, I don't think Leben is the contender he needs to beat to get that love. I think if they gave him Marquart, Hendo, Rousimar, Maia, Okami, Franklin or somebody like that and he looks just as impressive, people will give him more love. Personally, He DOES look like a completely different fighter at 185, but I still don't like him based on what a little bitch he acted like in the octagon after the Hammil fight, telling Hammil "Go back to wrestling" knowing damn well he can't hear you, and knowing damn well Hammill won the fight (Watch Bispings face after the fight, he knew he lost).....

Now, to the topic...

I think GSP would beat everyone except Silva at 185. I'm not really basing this on any of the fighter's style, as GSP is good enough all around to beat pretty much anyone wherever the fight ends up. I think silva would be too much for him (and too big for him), but actually, GSP is about the only person in the UFC (Exclusing Heavyweights and lightweights) that could beat Silva..I just don't like his chances.

Post #6   7/30/08 11:00:44PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I think GSP would crush them all, except for Silva, Hendo, and Rich.

GSP's wrestling is phenomenal and I have no doubt he would put Silva on his back. From there it's tricky though. GSP doesn't pass guard that often, and I don't think he could do much damage to Silva. It's a toss up.

Hendo and Rich would be close as well because they're enormous MW's and good wrestlers (in Hendo's case great). They both have heavy hands and I they would be able to keep it standing for a while at least. I haven't seen GSP take a lot of punishment, so to me the jury is still out on his chin. Serra has heavy hands, but those two...man if they caught him square he'd be in for a nap.

GSP walks around at about 200lbs, so I don't think their would be a huge size differential with most of the MW's. A lot of talk has been that GSP consistently outwrestles bigger guys on the Canadian Olympic team, so I he wouldn't have a lot of trouble outwrestling guys at 185.

He would do very well at 185, but he'd be in for a few blemishes here and there.

Last edited 7/30/08 11:16PM server time by luke420187

Post #7   7/30/08 11:13:49PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Kracker_Jap

There is no love from me for Bisping because I am not a fan.... PERIOD

I think GSP has the height and reach not to mention the skill set in order to beat bisping in quick fashion.... Not to mention hang with the top peeps in this weight catagory

One look at GSP body and you can tell he has plenty of room on his frame to add a little more muscle mass and not be pushed around at 185

Post #8   7/31/08 1:45:11AM   

TheHitmanTL

Standup Guy

TheHitmanTL Avatar

Career:237-188
Chips:
i think that he would tear through the c and b class fighters but once he steps up to fight people like anderson, franklin and henderson i dont think he would fair to well.

i also think he would do better against smaller mw's once he fights a bigger stronger one i think he would have a lot of trouble

Post #9   7/31/08 2:48:03AM   

Korsakov

Learning to Sprawl

Career:76-42
Camp: Team Hughes
Chips:
GSP dominates everyone by overpowering smaller opponents, and wrestlers. even fighters like leben would give him big trouble. they would be much bigger than him and he wouldn't be able to overpower them like he does everyone else. he would get knocked out.

Post #10   7/31/08 3:01:37AM   

SheerPerfection

Learning to Sprawl

Career:26-19
Chips:
GSP would rip through the class with ease. He is almost as good as Silva, but wouldn't be able to beat him. Silva = a little bigger and a little better.
Top 10 MW in the world vs GSP & GSP takes 7 of 10 IMO

Post #11   7/31/08 3:21:13AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I think GSP would run the division just like he does at welterweight, IF he fights smart. People make it seem like he is at the top of the ww division because he simply overpowers his opponents, this isn't true, he OUTCLASSES his opponents. Everyone thought gSP would have trouble with Koscheck on the ground (including Koscheck probably), but GSP played right into the strengths of Josh and beat him at his own game. Josh is probably a better purebred wrestler than GSP, but GSP knows how to win fights. He often outstrikes his opponents and can outwork even the best ground practitioners. I think he would beat anyone in the Middleweight division, and would even give Silva is best matchup ever.

Post #12   7/31/08 12:19:54PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I think the only threat to GSP if he moved up to 185lbs would be Anderson and Franklin, just because there suck accurate strikers and could catch GSP, or win by decision, but I still would pick GSP over both fighters. Where as with Hendo I think GSP would win because he would beat Hendo at his own game wrestling, that's what GSP does beat you at your own game.

Post #13   7/31/08 1:41:23PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Aren't you the same guy who made a war james irvin thread before the a silva fight?

Gsp would do better then alves would. His amazing take downs and well roundedness would take him up the ladder. He would never get past A silva or henderson IMO. Everyone else he would have a chance against.

Last edited 7/31/08 2:37PM server time by andersondasilva
2 total post edits

Post #14   7/31/08 2:26:31PM   

YeahBee

Learning to Sprawl

YeahBee Avatar

Career:623-368
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
He would beat everybody except A Silva and Hendo, , he defintly has a sĀ“chance against Hendo but Hendo's right spells trouble for GSP

He would totally beat Rich btw

Last edited 7/31/08 4:18PM server time by YeahBee

Post #15   7/31/08 4:18:05PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2