Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cro Cop vs. Akiyama ???

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,792-1,044
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Buried at the end of Dave Meltzer’s latest column at Yahoo! Sports regarding the health of the MMA business is this little tidbit about DREAM’s possible plans to put a fight together between Japan’s most hated fighter, Yoshihiro Akiyama, and their most beloved foreign fighter, Mirko Cro Cop:

Under the gun to draw ratings, the company is attempting to put together middleweight Akiyama against heavyweight Mirko Cro Cop, the country’s most popular foreign fighter.

Really? A top tier middlweight against a top tier heavyweight? Is DREAM doing so bad that it would really put this matchup together? It seems a little farfetched, especially since Cro Cop vs. Allistair Overeem is being rumored for the next DREAM, but Japanese promotions have done crazier fights in the past. Usually freakshow fights favor one fighter heavily over the other, such as Choi vs. Fedor, but this is a matchup that I have no interest in seeing. Perhaps the Japanese simply want to see Akiyama get smashed by Cro Cop because they hate him so much? That’s the only plausible reason I could see for putting on this fight. Here’s to hoping it doesn’t happen, but don’t color me surprised if it does.

LINK

I think this fight is far more likely to happen than the Overeem fight.

Post #1   7/30/08 1:25:43AM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
Cro Cop-Akiyama is a bigger fight in Japan then Cro Cop-Overeem is. If this happens, I hope they rematch Kharitonov with Overeem. Sergei is slowly becoming the Antonio Margarito of the MMA world where a lot of people are dodging him. I really wish he would have got the title fight against Silva on the EliteXC card.

Post #2   7/30/08 2:16:35AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Are you ****ing Kidding me?

Do they know how long us HC Fans have been waiting to see CC vs Overeem? YEARS. So who ever is the "Joe Silva" of DREAM needs to figure it out, and decide which fight will make more people happy.

Post #3   7/30/08 5:03:15AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I really don't understand why everyone freaks out as much as they do with fighers from different weight classes battling it out.I mean this is Mixed Martial Arts not boxing.People talk about how much different MMA is from boxing,and bitch about people attempting to make MMA too much like boxing,yet gladly put down a smaller guy taking on a bigger opponent.I would rather see these supposed "freakshow" fights happen,as opposed to getting a very watered down system of 14 weight classes with a bunch of useless titles.

For a long time one of the whole trademarks of Martial Arts was for a smaller man to learn to defend against a bigger,stronger,opponent.Now granted times have changed,and the playing field is a little different when the bigger guys can have just as much skill as a smaller guy,but I think the idea should remain.

I know this is not popular opinion,but I think one thing a lot of people fail to understand is that the Japanese have a different outlook on MMA than the western world.If you look at Japanese MMA with western eyes, you miss the point all together.The Japanese don't need to worry about a lot of the things the western world does involving MMA,granted they do have their own problems though.A fight like this will probably draw a good audience and boost the ratings for DREAM.

The sport is in a depression in Japan,but despite all this,they still have a built in audience that is probably bigger than will ever be here in the states.

Last edited 7/30/08 7:22AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/30/08 7:19:23AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,703-1,488
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
i totally f*ck*n agree wit u on that the hardcore fans wanna see overeem vs cro cop thats a real fight both top level fighters.......ive been waitin for my boy overeem to get a crack at cro cop forever......i sure hope they dont f**k shit up now.........cuz overeem is on the rise and as far as kharitonov he is a mean dude i agree wit that but ppl dodging him is pure bullsh*t overeem never dodged him he might of lost but it was a good fight!!!!! i think kharitonov and overeem will meet again in the future for the rubber match!!!!!

Alistair Overeem will beat Mirko Cro Cop and dream doesnt want that......thats y they are offering Cro Cop a lesser opponent!!!!!

if they do meet at dream 6 im takin alistair overeem by 1st submission!!!!

Last edited 7/30/08 9:58AM server time by sparky

Post #5   7/30/08 9:57:45AM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
I mean, I know Japan hates Akiyama.. but damn!

Post #6   7/30/08 3:43:49PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by candynuts

I mean, I know Japan hates Akiyama.. but damn!

Where'd you find the cool av ?

Post #7   7/30/08 5:10:54PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'd rather see him fight Overeem but I will check this rumor out and let you guys know.

Post #8   7/30/08 5:16:03PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I'd rather see him fight Overeem but I will check this rumor out and let you guys know.

I go to Cmill for all things Cro Cop

Post #9   7/30/08 5:21:39PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Lol, im not sure.. ask joshryanshepard, oh.. and never pick Jake O'Brien against Cain Velasquez. What a shame, it would have given me great pleasure to see someone with an awful Liza Minnelli/ David Gist avatar...

-Edit- Oh by the way, I clicked on his profile and it said Invalid Id!.. Is he banned? He does not have Banned listed under his name on the forums?

Last edited 7/30/08 10:31PM server time by candynuts

Post #10   7/30/08 10:29:57PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Rumor is true although Cro Cop and his managment want Overeem Dream is really pushing for it. They feel this could be their defining fight that brings them out of the Pride stigma and into their own light. We'll see how it goes down.

Post #11   7/30/08 11:34:15PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by candynuts

Posted by MMAcca

Lol, im not sure.. ask joshryanshepard, oh.. and never pick Jake O'Brien against Cain Velasquez. What a shame, it would have given me great pleasure to see someone with an awful Liza Minnelli/ David Gist avatar...

Post #12   7/31/08 12:27:40AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,883-1,113
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
If Dream want to be recognised as ligit mma and not another japanese freak show then Cro cop v Overeem makes much more sence.

Why do the Japanese fans hate Akiyama?

Post #13   7/31/08 6:11:37AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rabi

If Dream want to be recognised as ligit mma and not another japanese freak show then Cro cop v Overeem makes much more sence.

Why do the Japanese fans hate Akiyama?

He greased his body against Sakuraba.

Post #14   7/31/08 9:06:28AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,883-1,113
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Im surprised he was able to get away with that. Did he beat Sakuraba then?

Post #15   7/31/08 9:11:09AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2