Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Please give James Irvin and Justin Levens a break...

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

i could see pain killers being banned, but what gets me is pot it should not be banned, it does absolutely nothing to enhance ur performance

I disagree....

This statement basically says i either smoke pot or have smoked it and am in denial about the negative effects of pot

Post #16   7/31/08 1:51:46AM   

murphy_16

Standup Guy

Career:173-99
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
its wat you get for doing this stuff he shouldnt of done it

Post #17   7/31/08 2:27:27AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
well, first and foremost, pot should be banned because it is illegal. also, pot does give you some sort of an advantage the same way pain killers do. look at Nick Diaz and Gomi. there is no way a broken orbital bone would have no effect on a person, yet with Diaz there was none. Bob Sapp cried when CC broke his orbital bone, so to say pot has no affect or enhancement on a fighter is a ridiculous statement.

Post #18   7/31/08 2:31:20AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
A few things:

1. If you watched The Smashing Machine with Mark Kerr, he says he actually took pain killers to increase his pain tolerance over time. If you keep taking them, there is a residual effect to your body, like with prolonged use of any drug. I honestly think they're banned because of that, and that you can cause yourself serious harm if you're so hopped up on painkillers that you don't notice your arm just broke, or your eye socket just cracked.

2. I've broken both my legs and walked around without a cast or crutches, torn cartilage in both knees, blown out my MCL, sprained my right ankle so badly its permenantly at a 45 degree angle, and thats just my lower body injuries. I've also broken my foot when someone checked a leg kick with their knee, and it was the most painful thing I've probably ever experienced. I was actually crying and throwing up from the pain of having to walk on it before I could get to my hotel and lay down for several days. Your foot is incredibly sensitive and having a jagged bone rattling around everytime you take a step is tremendously painful. As such, I'm sure there was absolutely no way Irvin could have actually TRAINED with a broken foot unless he was on something.

3. You guys talk about someone having the option of taking a fight or not taking a fight, but this isn't always an option. The UFC is fickle at best with their talent, and for a guy like Irvin, whos usually fighting dark matches, he might not have had the option of saying no without it biting him in the ass later. He said they'd asked several MWs before asking him to fight, which means they were getting lower and lower down the totem pole, and he might have been the last guy that even had a name to use to make that event happen. Silva vs. Danny Abbadi or Silva vs. Dave Menne wasn't exactly going to bring in the big crowds, and it might have been something he couldn't refuse and still fight with the UFC.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #19   7/31/08 3:13:18AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

A few things:

1. If you watched The Smashing Machine with Mark Kerr, he says he actually took pain killers to increase his pain tolerance over time. If you keep taking them, there is a residual effect to your body, like with prolonged use of any drug. I honestly think they're banned because of that, and that you can cause yourself serious harm if you're so hopped up on painkillers that you don't notice your arm just broke, or your eye socket just cracked.

2. I've broken both my legs and walked around without a cast or crutches, torn cartilage in both knees, blown out my MCL, sprained my right ankle so badly its permenantly at a 45 degree angle, and thats just my lower body injuries. I've also broken my foot when someone checked a leg kick with their knee, and it was the most painful thing I've probably ever experienced. I was actually crying and throwing up from the pain of having to walk on it before I could get to my hotel and lay down for several days. Your foot is incredibly sensitive and having a jagged bone rattling around everytime you take a step is tremendously painful. As such, I'm sure there was absolutely no way Irvin could have actually TRAINED with a broken foot unless he was on something.

3. You guys talk about someone having the option of taking a fight or not taking a fight, but this isn't always an option. The UFC is fickle at best with their talent, and for a guy like Irvin, whos usually fighting dark matches, he might not have had the option of saying no without it biting him in the ass later. He said they'd asked several MWs before asking him to fight, which means they were getting lower and lower down the totem pole, and he might have been the last guy that even had a name to use to make that event happen. Silva vs. Danny Abbadi or Silva vs. Dave Menne wasn't exactly going to bring in the big crowds, and it might have been something he couldn't refuse and still fight with the UFC.

Once again...telling it like it is. Props, man.*

* or not. I have to spread some love around.

Last edited 7/31/08 9:42AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   7/31/08 9:41:55AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2