Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cage rage gets landmark TV deal

Print  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
from MMAuniverse.com

Cage Rage Secures Landmark TV Deal

Date submitted: 02 March 2007
Submitted by: Cage Rage

Cage Rage Championships have a new TV partner in Sky Sports. For the first time in MMA/Ultimate Fighting history, Cage Rage 21 will be aired live on Sky Sports free of charge. After weeks of negotiations, contracts were signed today which will launch Cage Rage into becoming the most watched event on the planet. "We have worked with Sky Sports for about three years now" says promoter Andy Geer, "but this deal is something else, on April 21st, we will be beamed live across Europe to a potential 15 million people, we are going to officially have the highest audience figures outside of Japan bar none, when Sky Sports throw their considerable advertising budget at this event it will pack sports bars up and down the country and finally put our wonderful sport live in the homes of millions of people. “Dave O Donnell adds "We have a rock solid card, it will be fully released in around a week, but it features the best British and European fighters plus huge stars from America and Japan." When asked if it will affect ticket sales at the live event O Donnell adds,” No way, it will help more than anything, but as we stand right now sales have never been as fast I think we will sell out well in advance this time" This is truly fantastic news for the Cage Rage promotion and the fans, and without doubt the biggest TV deal the sport has ever seen, Andy Geer added, “we’re mainstream baby, and we're here to stay".

This has got to be huge for MMA in the UK

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   3/2/07 10:02:05PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Career:11-12
Chips:
That's good news. Cage Rage is doing quite well. They've been around for a relatively short time to be getting an awesome deal like this.

Post #2   3/3/07 10:45:08PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
great info but where is Sky Sports broadcast too? only in the UK?

Post #3   3/3/07 10:52:33PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Chips:
The article says all of Europe.

Post #4   3/3/07 11:19:56PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by migo

The article says all of Europe.

i meant are we gonna get in anywhere in North America.

Post #5   3/4/07 9:32:02AM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Chips:
My guess is no. From what I've read about them beforehand they're solely focusing on the UK/EU market. I don't think they're going to try to overstretch themselves by trying to appeal to two different markets at the same time before they're solidly established. They've got a lot of British fighters, that makes them popular in the UK, but won't make them that popular outside of it.

Post #6   3/4/07 5:27:48PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by migo

My guess is no. From what I've read about them beforehand they're solely focusing on the UK/EU market. I don't think they're going to try to overstretch themselves by trying to appeal to two different markets at the same time before they're solidly established. They've got a lot of British fighters, that makes them popular in the UK, but won't make them that popular outside of it.

They are slowly starting to get a lot more international talent in and this TV deal will help them grow a lot.

Post #7   3/4/07 6:14:18PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Chips:
I'm sure it will. I'm excited in fact. I hope they end up being bigger than the UFC in the UK. I would imagine they are trying to grow in reasonable ammounts, instead of going from just UK to the whole world.

Post #8   3/4/07 6:59:39PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by migo

They are slowly starting to get a lot more international talent in and this TV deal will help them grow a lot.

D-boy are you from Britain? Or Europe? You seem to have a wealth of knowledge about MMA over the pond.

Post #9   3/4/07 8:57:50PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by migo

D-boy are you from Britain? Or Europe? You seem to have a wealth of knowledge about MMA over the pond.

Britan and I go to as many events as I can over here, got to support the home crowd

Post #10   3/4/07 9:13:12PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
Sweet man. Your like the Me version of the UK. (im Canadian!)

Post #11   3/4/07 9:35:55PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

A few good promotions over there and more international talent than the UK at the moment. I would have thought the UFC would buy some of them out by now

Last edited 3/5/07 6:25AM server time by D-Boy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/5/07 6:24:42AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by madmarck

A few good promotions over there and more international talent than the UK at the moment. I would have thought the UFC would buy some of them out by now

Nah the big org in Canada is TKO. and they arent in money trouble. Not to mention they have a very good realtionship with the UFC. Stephan Party the owner of TKO also manages many of the Canadian fighters in the UFC.
TKO is seen as a breeding ground for the UFC.
Just look
Jonathan Goulet
David Loiseau
Georges St Pierre
Patrick Cote
Sam Stout
Mark Hominick
Incho Larneeas
All these guys have held titles in TKO and then fought in the UFC (save Goulet but he is getting a title shot at the WW title next event).

Post #13   3/5/07 7:01:49AM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,652-935
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
thats good news to hear

Post #14   3/8/07 9:04:02PM