Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nielsen Ratings Saturday, July 26: EliteXC MMA on CBS Had No Kick

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,891-1,581
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
FOX won another lame Saturday night with the time-tested duo of Cops and America’s Most Wanted. Normally, because it’s Saturday, and because it’s a Saturday in the middle of the summer there wouldn’t be a whole lot to say. And indeed, FOX was the only network to crack above a 1.0 rating among 18-49 year olds for the whole night.

And there really still isn’t much to say except for this: EliteXC Saturday Night Fights without any buzz surrounding Kimbo Slice performed much worse without Kimbo than it did with him. CBS initial foray into MMA didn’t draw a slew of viewers but at least performed well in the 18-49 and 18-34 demos.

Link

Post #1   7/27/08 3:55:39PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i personally think it drew in bad ratings because the first showing was a disgrace and most likely turned away a lot of fans. i don't really believe that Kimbo not being on the card contributed as much as them not putting on a good show the first time out.

Post #2   7/27/08 4:10:51PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Too bad CBS didn't put any hype behind this show like they did with Kimbo. This show was a lot better than the last. It was actually a pretty awesome show. I guess it just shows that the MMA audience isn't that big yet.

Post #3   7/27/08 4:32:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think it was partially the bad production of the first show, but I think Kimbo makes the biggest difference. He has a really massive fanbase, and it's a unique fanbase because it's composed almost entirely of people who are not MMA fans. I was confused as to why they wouldn't have kimbo fighting on this card, I figured it would probably bomb without him. I'd be willing to bet that the next card does significantly better than this one. Probably still not as well as the first because of bad production as mentioned, but I'm willing to bet including kimbo in the card shoots their numbers up much closer to the first card than to this last one.

I think they were trying to rely on the fact that Smith vs Lawler was turning out to be a great fight on the last card and were hoping they could try to shift their focus to more legitimate competition, but they don't realize that a large portion of their fanbase is composed of Kimbo fans who don't actually care about MMA at all.

It's funny because Kimbo attracts everyone... He attracts the people who have just seen him beating people up on youtube, but he also attracts a lot of real MMA fans who are eager to see him lose. I know I tuned into his last fight and I'll almost definitely be tuning into his next one. I'm really anxious to see him get caught in a submission after his "tapping is for bitches" comments. Not a blood or wind submission either, you can go to sleep no problem, but will he maintain his point of view when his shoulder is being ripped out of it's socket? I doubt it very much.

Post #4   7/27/08 4:57:08PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,418-775
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree with most I think the first show really hurt their ratings on this one. But I think if they keep it up and try to be more about MMA(their last show was a great start) and less of the WWE feel then their numbers will go back up.

Post #5   7/27/08 5:07:42PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Here where I live the local programing showed some stupid parade insted...

That had to have hurt em a little more there are alot of Fight fans in Wa state

Post #6   7/27/08 5:40:30PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I agree with most I think the first show really hurt their ratings on this one. But I think if they keep it up and try to be more about MMA(their last show was a great start) and less of the WWE feel then their numbers will go back up.

Yes, the fighter entering was wwe like and I hated it so bad, when phil entered I thought I was gonna throw up, cause I was laughing to hard. I knew that those entrences would hurt the ratings big time. WWE and MMA need to stay as far away as possible, in means of not coping things that wwe does or vise versa. The first show would have been good if not for the entrences damn it.

Post #7   7/27/08 5:41:45PM   

Martin-666

Banned

Career:93-68
Chips:

Posted by casey64

Posted by telnights

Yes, the fighter entering was wwe like and I hated it so bad, when phil entered I thought I was gonna throw up, cause I was laughing to hard. I knew that those entrences would hurt the ratings big time. WWE and MMA need to stay as far away as possible, in means of not coping things that wwe does or vise versa. The first show would have been good if not for the entrences damn it.

Man those words came out of my mouth and on your post, I think the same thing. Those were terrible, absolutley terrible.

Post #8   7/27/08 5:47:23PM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Martin-666

Posted by casey64

Posted by telnights

Man those words came out of my mouth and on your post, I think the same thing. Those were terrible, absolutley terrible.

Nice, its about time you get back on here and do a little posting for thee playground and for our team, but on the other hand, thats why I think this show didnt get as good of ratings as it should.

Post #9   7/27/08 5:50:36PM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,648-1,459
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
I think the poor ratings had more to do with the fact that there was no hype and advertising for this show. It kind of just popped up out of nowhere and CBS didn't push the show at all this time.

Last edited 7/27/08 9:19PM server time by crazedfan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/27/08 6:13:56PM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by crazedfan

I think the poor ratings had more to do that there was no hype and advertising for this show. It kind of just popped up out of nowhere and CBS didn't push the show at all this time.

Ah good point, they didnt advertise much at all.

Post #11   7/27/08 6:20:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Even with Kimbo Slice on the next card I doubt their ratings will be as good. Notice how much the Kimbo hype died down after his last fight? He got exposed IMO, even if he did win.

My thoughts are that EliteXC doesn't make it long enough on broadcast TV to really get picked up. Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg may be the only thing left to save it.

Post #12   7/27/08 6:47:24PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
No Kimbo & no Gina fighting meant lower ratings and everyone expected that. They hoped for a 2.0 but came just short-not mentioned in the article was that the fast overnight rating (total number) was 1.9.

Post #13   7/27/08 6:49:23PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
They didn't get higher ratings when Kimbo flashed a gang sign?

Last edited 7/27/08 9:59PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #14   7/27/08 7:01:25PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,860-1,161
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

seemed like he was toning it down for TV not trying to look like the thug that he always apeers to be

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #15   7/27/08 7:30:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2