Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shayna Baszler vs Cristiane Santos and ELITE XC card (observations?)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:
Not too long ago, there is no way you would have heard these words coming from my mouth, but I'm pretty damn excited for the Shayna Baszler vs Cristiane Santos fight! Call me crazy, but I think this could be fight of the night. A great submission fighter going up against someone who seems to have the makings of a great KO artist. It will obviously have some steep competition with the Lawler/Smith fight, but I still think it will be a great fight!

In general, I'm pretty dang excited for tonight's card! A LOT more excited than the last "Saturday Night Fights." This card has the potential of having some very competitive bouts, plus we get to see some great up and comers (Wilson Reis, Cavalcante, etc.) and big names (Jake Shields, Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz, etc)

I sincerely hope that tonight's card is successful and wish that THIS card was the "first MMA event on primetime" instead of the last Elite XC show.

Any thoughts??

Last edited 7/27/08 11:28AM server time by npayant
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/26/08 12:19:52PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I'm pulling for Cyborg. This woman has some KO power! I've seen her fights. If she can keep this fight standing she's gonna win this fight.

She will also win me my parlay if she wins. WAR Cyborg!!!

Post #2   7/26/08 12:26:05PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
While Cyborg is cool, pretty and good. I can't pick against a woman that trains with Josh Barnett and is one of my friends on myspace

Go Shayna

Post #3   7/26/08 12:55:16PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyborg's abs r rippling and make mine look like nothing

Post #4   7/26/08 1:32:20PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
bah Athletic woman>all others

Post #5   7/26/08 1:41:41PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
cyborg looks like a monster so she wins via 2 rd ko

Post #6   7/26/08 1:46:00PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:2,839-1,573
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Did anyone see the movie "Teeth"? For some reason I can't stop thinking about it when I see pictures of Cyborg.

Post #7   7/26/08 3:44:32PM   

npayant

npayant Avatar

Chips:
Well it turned out to be a pretty good fight - but pretty one-sided! Cyborg was an animal in there... she has a bright future! Baszler really disappointed me (mainly because I picked her... ) But she gassed pretty quickly and, quite frankly, got dominated.

Overall, I give props to the Elite XC for last night's show. I thought they made great strides since their last primetime card! Do you guys think it was as successful though (not having Kimbo or Gina on the card)? I'm not saying that those two names should make or break a card, but they both have selling power. I bet the Oct. card with both of them on it will do better than last night's card, unfortunately!!

One more question --- Carano/Santos --- who takes it?!

Last edited 7/27/08 11:54AM server time by npayant
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   7/27/08 11:27:05AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I was highly disappointed in this fight for a couple reasons-

First of all the fight was over once they signed it IMO. It was a huge mismatch, and as I've said before on the forums I can't believe how many people picked Baszler. Some chick who started training catch wrestling a few years back in a garage vs. a Chute Boxe veteran and one of the scariest chicks on the planet.

Second of all- Mazzagatti not stopping the fight as a TKO when Baszler first got dropped. She didn't answer or intelligently defend herself for several seconds, and then flat out got dropped. How is it not a TKO? Mazzagatti put her health at risk IMO because all that happened was she took the same beating again. I usually like the 'stache but c'mon man.. that was putting a fighter's health at risk. She hadn't done anything since the beginning of the first round!

Third of all- letting Gina steal the show directly after Santos' amazing victory. They didn't post fight interview Santos and IMO they should have given her a ton more credit for her dominating performance. I didn't complain about getting to look at Gina, but give Santos some respect, EliteXC. Your promotion isn't only about 2 fighters. (Kimbo, Gina)

Other than that the TX (you know.. female cyborg) is the real deal. She and Carano will have a hell of a fight.

Post #9   7/27/08 11:49:59AM   

npayant

npayant Avatar

Chips:
Well I agree with you last two statements. It definitely should have been stopped the first time Baszler dropped and they should have given much more credit to Santos instead of going to Carano. Santos needed a post fight interview! I really hope that's Carano's next match because I see her losing that fight!

As far as the first statement, I disagree. Baszler is much more experienced in MMA and IF she could have got that to the ground for any longer than she did, it probably would have been over for Santos. Props to Santos for keeping it on the feet... she new she'd be in big trouble on the ground... Baszler - 11 wins with 11 submissions. I agree it was a mismatch on the feet, but like I said, IF Baszler got it to the ground successfully, it could have been over just as quick (look at the attempt early in the 1st round).

Nice post though!

Post #10   7/27/08 12:04:58PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by npayant

Well I agree with you last two statements. It definitely should have been stopped the first time Baszler dropped and they should have given much more credit to Santos instead of going to Carano. Santos needed a post fight interview! I really hope that's Carano's next match because I see her losing that fight!

As far as the first statement, I disagree. Baszler is much more experienced in MMA and IF she could have got that to the ground for any longer than she did, it probably would have been over for Santos. Props to Santos for keeping it on the feet... she new she'd be in big trouble on the ground... Baszler - 11 wins with 11 submissions. I agree it was a mismatch on the feet, but like I said, IF Baszler got it to the ground successfully, it could have been over just as quick (look at the attempt early in the 1st round).

Nice post though!

I'll give you that Baszler on paper looks like she stood a chance.

The only thing for me is I like to look at who a fighter trains with and how hard they're likely to push that fighter. Coming out of Brazil you know Santos has been in wars with fighters larger than her that haven't babied her for being a girl. Not to mention being attached to one of the most aggressive and tough fighters out there in Mr. Cyborg (The T-1000)

Post #11   7/27/08 12:12:13PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by npayant

Nice post though!

The only thing for me is I like to look at who a fighter trains with and how hard they're likely to push that fighter. Coming out of Brazil you know Santos has been in wars with fighters larger than her that haven't babied her for being a girl. Not to mention being attached to one of the most aggressive and tough fighters out there in Mr. Cyborg (The T-1000)

Very true, but Baszler also had good training partners in Barnett, Sherk, and Thompson. I would take Chute Boxe over the aforementioned fighters, but I'm just pointing out that she had quality training partners as well.

Post #12   7/27/08 12:39:27PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by npayant

Nice post though!

Thanks for the heads up I just saw the fight on paper and picked against (He-man) Cyborg because she was from brazil.....

I always look at fight camps but I saw no info on her

Oh well I will remember her forever now

Post #13   7/27/08 1:12:08PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by npayant

Nice post though!

Thanks for the heads up I just saw the fight on paper and picked against (He-man) Cyborg because she was from brazil.....

I always look at fight camps but I saw no info on her

Oh well I will remember her forever now

LOL, true enough! That's probably the only reason why people didn't pick Santos unanimously. Sherdog didn't have much listed for her. Still, google search can do wonders! Next time you're unsure about a bout try it

and like I'm going to give out information before the event starts to someone other than my camp members

Post #14   7/27/08 1:15:18PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Damm.... Good Idea

I hope no one else reads your last post

Post #15   7/27/08 4:42:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2