Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Aoki Talks Tournament Format

Print  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mixed martial arts tournaments are among the most grueling rights of passage for any fighter. When populated with top-tier opponents, a fighter’s ability to make it to the finals is based as much on luck as on skill.

Link

Post #1   7/26/08 6:05:22AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
a bunch of excuses, if aoki wants to be a legend he needs to learn how to strike, palm strikes just won't do it.

Post #2   7/26/08 11:15:04AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'd say he's done pretty well for himself so far. His ground game is on a different level than his opponent's so much that it reminds me of the early days of MMA.

I do get sick of seeing people jump guard- but as long as it's followed by a showing on the ground like he puts on who cares?

As for tournament formats it's unbelievably hard and finishing off your opponents in quick fashion is very important if you want to be the fresher opponent next round. I remember when I was a kid in wrestling tournaments pacing myself just so I could make it through all the matches. I can't imagine how difficult an MMA tournament would be.

Post #3   7/26/08 11:22:24AM   

jakkster

Learning to Sprawl

Career:29-16
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

a bunch of excuses, if aoki wants to be a legend he needs to learn how to strike, palm strikes just won't do it.

he didn't used it as an excuse... if you watched that fight you can see the exhaustion... besides Aoki easily submitted Hansen the last time they faught.

it was kind of sudden to have the finalists jump right into it. Aoki had came out of a UD win over Uno which required two five minute rounds, while Hansen finished his in under two or three minutes. IMO Hansen was the fresher man... Dream should have pushed the finals into Dream 6...

Post #4   7/26/08 11:29:42AM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
after watching the event i just became less of a fan of aoki, i just don't seem to like his personality, his resistance to change as a fighter. not really learning striking. and now hes complaining.

its not like he didn't know that he'd have to fight twice in one night?

Post #5   7/26/08 12:39:18PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Dream format is really gay. Why make semi-final and final on the same night??

BTW i was rooting for Hansen all the way

Post #6   7/26/08 4:13:09PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by jakkster

Posted by nickcuc547

he didn't used it as an excuse... if you watched that fight you can see the exhaustion... besides Aoki easily submitted Hansen the last time they faught.

it was kind of sudden to have the finalists jump right into it. Aoki had came out of a UD win over Uno which required two five minute rounds, while Hansen finished his in under two or three minutes. IMO Hansen was the fresher man... Dream should have pushed the finals into Dream 6...

i guarantee you there would be none of this if aoki won, he may have the biggest nut huggers out there.

Post #7   7/26/08 5:45:45PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Dream format is really gay. Why make semi-final and final on the same night??

BTW i was rooting for Hansen all the way

Because that's how it's done in Japan...

Post #8   7/26/08 6:31:13PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
I personally am not a fan of having multiple fights in one night. i am not saying Aoki would have won if it had been any different but i am saying i am not a fan as you are not getting 100% from either fighter. now, i personally believe that Aoki will make a splash again in the near future. he is very young at 25 and will definitelyt be a top LW for the remainder of his career. yes, he is very one-dimensional, but he is so talented at that one dimension that it enables him to win. he also has the time to develop a striking game and i would bet that he fights for the Dream title in the future. mark my words, Aoki is here to stay.

Posted by nickcuc547
i guarantee you there would be none of this if aoki won, he may have the biggest nut huggers out there.

not really.i think i am the only one here that is a big nuthugger of Aoki. and i also have to say that protest about the format still would have occurred even if Aoki won because of Alvarez's eye. don't chalk this commotion up to butt hurt fans...it really is a flawed system that many people don't like. i know that even if Aoki beat Hell Boy i would still be pissed about the format because Alvarez didn't get to fight.

Last edited 7/27/08 12:38PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   7/27/08 12:35:25PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74
not really.i think i am the only one here that is a big nuthugger of Aoki. and i also have to say that protest about the format still would have occurred even if Aoki won because of Alvarez's eye. don't chalk this commotion up to butt hurt fans...it really is a flawed system that many people don't like. i know that even if Aoki beat Hell Boy i would still be pissed about the format because Alvarez didn't get to fight.

Right on. Here we are after the semi's, with the two finalists Aoki & Alvarez, and the guy who ends up winning the tournament is someone that they have both previously beaten. If the purpose of the tournament is to find the best fighter at that weight class, how can you not think that maybe this is a flawed system?

And Im not knocking Hansen, I think he is a very good fighter who legitamately has a chance to beat either one of these guys on any given day, but the fact is, he didnt do it until the tourney.

Last edited 7/28/08 12:00PM server time by FantasyFighter
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/28/08 11:59:35AM