Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Official: IFL Down for the Count (Bought By Zuffa)

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
From IFL Senior VP, Joe Favorito:

I apologize for this mass email but I wanted to take a second to let you know that as of July 31 my role at the IFL will be no more as the company goes into its final stage of being sold and/or closed down. We are very proud of what we did here in just over two years, building a brand from nothing into something that people in the industry and outside of the industry actually noticed, and I enjoyed working with so many different people and helped tell some great stories. At the end of the day sometimes the finances don't make sense, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. The good news is I think we have gotten all our good junior people placed in some great spots, so we are pretty proud of that. Even our interns landed in good places.

LINK

Last edited 7/25/08 12:29AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/25/08 12:20:49AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:
Report: ZUFFA buys International Fight League

The Fight Network has the scoop:

The long speculated moratorium of the International Fight League now has a date. According to IFL senior vice president of communications Joe Favorito, the team-based MMA promotion will turn out the lights July 31 as its assets are sold to a yet-to-be-named buyer, confirmed today by several anonymous sources as the UFC ownership group Zuffa LLC.

“As of July 31 my role at the IFL will be no more as the company goes into its final stage of being sold and/or closed down,” Favorito stated via email.

This would make a lot of sense seeing as how the UFC has signed a handful of the IFL’s more talented fighters in recent weeks such as Rory Markham, Brad Blackburn, Jim and Dan Miller, and Andre Gusmao. I’m sure we can expect to see even more IFL talent roll into the UFC now. Guys like Jay Hieron, Chris Horodecki, and Wagnney Fabiano, to name a few, are all people that fans would love to see in the UFC. It also makes sense because on Monday, the IFL’s stock skyrocketed. They also showed a lot of IFL footage during the UFC Fight Night 14 show as well as the UFC Countdown: Silva vs. Irvin buildup show.

It’s a sad day for the IFL, but we all knew the end was drawing nearer day by day. They put on a good product, but came out of the gates all wrong and by the time they realized that drastic changes needed to be made it was too little, too late. They tried to treat the sport like a sport and not a spectacle and that’s to be commended. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work, at least not yet. One thing I can say, however, is that I won’t lose sleep over never being able to see the hexagon shaped ring in action.

Zuffa purchases IFL

Post #2   7/25/08 12:31:13AM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i am praying the ufc brings in horodecki. i love that kid.

Post #3   7/25/08 12:36:57AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I wonder where Matyushenko will fit in the picture within the UFC. Personally I think they will bring him in to fight Brian Stann for the WEC LHW belt. I thik that could make for a good fight, plus it gives a boost to the organization.

Post #4   7/25/08 1:53:02AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:
I think the same thing Mchubb316.

I think quite a few of the IFL guys will slot nicely into the WEC ranks

Post #5   7/25/08 2:08:18AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
thats awesome! I wonder how Roy Nelson will do again the UFC HWs

Post #6   7/25/08 4:05:11AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

thats awesome! I wonder how Roy Nelson will do again the UFC HWs

About the same as Rothwell

Post #7   7/25/08 6:33:45AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
What about Jay HEron was he still under contract with the IFL?

Post #8   7/25/08 9:45:12AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Maybe they will give Mike Goldberg the Axe and bring in Bas as a commentator.

Post #9   7/25/08 7:46:44PM