Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spider Killer.....Take your pick

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Career:1,080-784
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
Here's the question. Now that Silva is fighting in 2 weight classes, who will be the first to beat him? Here's a list of just a few that I have heard from ppl that they think can beat the spider or atleast give him the fight of his life, & these are just UFC fighters. GSP, Iceman,Wandi, Ryoto, Bonner, Jackson, Rua, Griffin, Evans, Jardine, Grove, Horn, Cote, Marquardt, Okami, Diaz, Penn I've not yet to get the names of fighters from other company's. Cast your vote, I'm really interested.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 2

Last edited 7/24/08 3:06PM server time by dom_diegos
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   7/24/08 1:13:26PM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:
I don't see any fighters listed??

Anyway, if I HAD to pick someone (as of right now, I don't think any one can beat him in the UFC), I would go with a BIG 205er... like Griffin. But I'm not too sure he could be Silva either. I'd like to see Silva vs Machida...I think that could be very close... but as of right now, I don't think that's happening ever. Wandy would give him a good run as well. But we saw Henderson beat him and Silva handled Henderson pretty darn easily. I know MMAth isn't always the best thing to go by though.

I really don't know if there is anyone in the UFC...

Last edited 7/24/08 1:19PM server time by npayant

Post #2   7/24/08 1:18:57PM   

DangerousDjohn

MMA Regular

Career:448-248
Chips:
I dont really think he fights again at 205. I think he drops back down to 185 and stays there.

Post #3   7/24/08 1:19:53PM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Chips:
Sorry I fxed it, There is now a list

Post #4   7/24/08 1:22:18PM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,758-1,527
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
I agree... everyone's always talking about, "Oh, Silva/Rampage, Silva/Liddell" I think Anderson goes back to 185 and stays there. He said that this was just a one time thing because UFC needed him to fight, and that his job is to defend the Middleweight title. I don't think we'll see him at 205 until he absolutely clears out the Middleweight division, which is probably a good 5 or 6 more defenses away. He's got Okami and Cote still to defend against, he'll probably be defending against the winner of Lister/Leities, he has Maia, Palhares and Kampmann potentially down the road, and even a Henderson rematch if UFC wants to go that route.

Last edited 7/24/08 1:27PM server time by crazedfan

Post #5   7/24/08 1:22:54PM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Chips:
It's just a question. It is true he did say his focus is to defend the bely but i was simply asking who would you pick.
But I do think he will continue to fight in LHW as well. Not as often as MW but I think he will.

Post #6   7/24/08 1:31:02PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Bonnar, Evans, Jardine, Grove, Horn, Cote, Okami, Marquardt and Diaz would all get murdered by Anderson Silva. Cote and Okami will probably get the chance to find out, and Marquardt already has.

The top 5 Light-Heavyweights could hang with Silva, and vice-versa.

BJ Penn has the boxing and grappling skills, but I think he's too small and would be out-done by Silva's reach and kicks.

GSP is one type of fighter who could give Anderson problems, with excellent wrestling and good ground-and-pound. Of course, Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin are pretty good GnP fighters too...

Personally, I think Silva will defend the belt at least twice more, setting UFC records for longest winning streak and most title defenses. In 2009, guys like Demian Maia, Michael Bisping, and Martin Kampmann might be ready to challenge.

I think Dan Henderson is probably Silva's biggest threat right now, maybe in February '09 (that's just a wild guess, I'm not trying to start any rumors).

Post #7   7/24/08 1:55:08PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:2,579-1,546
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I got the impression the 205 fight was all about proving Silva is the no 1 pount for pound fighter on the same night Fedor was making his affliction debut. There will always be fights for him at 185 as there will always be new people coming through.

Before long GSP will fight up a weight as well. He could beat Silva IMO

Last edited 7/24/08 2:11PM server time by rabi

Post #8   7/24/08 2:10:11PM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Chips:
So everyone thinks cote maybe but also possibly GSP? I don't think Cote can win, but then everyone has a punchers chance, look at Serra. But ya he will set records for sure IMO but I also think that if he keeps messing around in LHW he gonna get knocked out, IMO. Other then that I would love to see GSP move up & see how he does as well & maybe even a Spider vs. GSP in the future. So besides Hendo I think GSP. IMO

Post #9   7/24/08 3:05:27PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:3,906-2,248
Chips:
Rousimar Palhares in the MW division has the best shot right now IMO.

LHW a number of guys have a chance, but the only one I'd be confident in would be Machida (and they won't fight).

Post #10   7/24/08 3:06:29PM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Chips:
Sorry I don't care for Ryoto. Look at the Tito fight. I do understand the dodge & weave thing but come on man, it's awful close to running as well I thought. like to see him on the ground with a GOOD ground & pounder.

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #11   7/24/08 3:09:36PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Rousimar Palhares... If he subs Dan like I think he might, I think will have a great shot at taking down Anderson... that's my dark horse bet anyways

Guys like GSP, Griffin, Jardine, Grove, Horn, Okami don't have the chin to face Anderson... They are all great fighters (except for Grove IMO) but cannot withstand the initial onslaught...

Diaz and Penn are just too small... Both guys have a great all around game, but don't have good TD's... And if you can't get Anderson down, you're not going to beat him

Post #12   7/24/08 3:12:27PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:3,906-2,248
Chips:

Posted by Dom_Diegos

Sorry I don't care for Ryoto. Look at the Tito fight. I do understand the dodge & weave thing but come on man, it's awful close to running as well I thought. like to see him on the ground with a GOOD ground & pounder.

Come on now, since when is Tito not even a good ground and pound fighter? The Machida haters are so unbelievable. And it's not even close to running, it's picking your shots and avoiding opponents' strengths. He fought two of the best judo fighters in MMA and one couldn't get him down and the other got swept within 3 seconds.

Post #13   7/24/08 3:18:08PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by xposipx

Rousimar Palhares in the MW division has the best shot right now IMO.

It's academic, but I think Silva would pound Palhares like a tent spike. Maybe in another year or two...

Post #14   7/24/08 3:45:58PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
if palhares beats hendo he has a shot at Silva/ imo

thinking hendo on this...

Post #15   7/24/08 4:00:35PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4