Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: St. Pierre ‘needs to prove himself’ before fight against Anderson Silva

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“That sounds great … I think GSP is an incredible fighter. But I think GSP needs to prove himself. He still hasn’t had a successful title defense [at 170 pounds]. I don’t really feel that he deserves (a fight against Anderson Silva fight) yet. Go defend your title a few times and then we’ll talk.”

– Ed Soares, the manager and translator for UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva, tells Pro MMA Radio that UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre still has a little work to do before locking horns with the Brazilian anytime soon. “Rush” has often talked about taking on new challenges in the middleweight division as long as he clears out his 170-pound class first and no friend of his (Patrick Cote included) is a current champion.

LINK

Post #1   7/23/08 12:01:27AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
People might put up a stink about this, but I don't think there should be any controversy. He's right, St Pierre hasn't even defended his title yet. Anderson has defended his four times before he moved up for a fight at LHW.

He needs to clear out the welterweight division before he even thinks about Anderson Silva. I've heard BJ gets the next shot after Fitch, which is crap that he leapfrogs everyone in the WW division. I mean the guy has beat Sherk, Stevenson, and Pulver. Don't get me wrong their good fighters, but there's a whole different class at 170. BJ should know, because he lost his last two at 170.

Beat Penn, Fitch, Thiago, and Sanchez. Then he can move up.

Last edited 7/23/08 5:15AM server time by luke420187
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/23/08 12:14:08AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Honestly im not really into GSP vs Anderson right now. Both have matchups at their own weight classes and that is what they should be worried about.

Post #3   7/23/08 12:28:58AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Chips:
Yup, he still has to put in some work. I'm still not sold on GSP quite yet. Besides, I think Silva would ko him in the first few rounds. George is not at the same level as Silva. Now if he wins against Fitch convincingly and then beats Penn, let the discussion begin

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   7/23/08 12:36:56AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
Wow, GSP is ****** every which way these days. First BJ calls him out and now people are talking about a fight with Silva? Can't a guy just fight the guys in his weight class? Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't want to watch these fights I'm just saying that if I was GSP I'd be super bummed. I'd just want to keep beating up the Jon Fitch's of the world and be the best at 170.

Post #5   7/23/08 12:42:07AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Am probably one of the biggest GSP fan and i agree he should defend his title and clear out his division, as should BJ by the way. Even then he could fight Silva but to be honest am not a big fan of guys putting they weight class on hold to go up or down in weight unless like Silva you pretty much cleared it. let see what happends

Post #6   7/23/08 12:43:49AM   

TheCelica

Learning to Sprawl

TheCelica Avatar

Career:690-578
Camp: Death
Chips:
Wouldn't Anderson have a huge reach advantage? It wouldn't even be a fight. GSP would just be another highlight reel KO.

Post #7   7/23/08 1:47:17AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Honestly im not really into GSP vs Anderson right now. Both have matchups at their own weight classes and that is what they should be worried about.

you are right about GSP but not Andersonhe has no one, what we need to see in the MW division is more contenders fighting each other, franklin should fight henderson, Lutter should fight Hendo, Bisping should fight franklin, bisping should fight Cote, Okami shoul;d fight all these guys, Okami is the only one that half deserves a title shot definitely not Cote, GSP on the other hand has a lot more people he needs to fight at WW before he moves weights.

Post #8   7/23/08 2:24:27AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Am probably one of the biggest GSP fan and i agree he should defend his title and clear out his division, as should BJ by the way. Even then he could fight Silva but to be honest am not a big fan of guys putting they weight class on hold to go up or down in weight unless like Silva you pretty much cleared it. let see what happends

they let Hughes do it right, I think it might be GSP pushing it also though

Post #9   7/23/08 2:25:36AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

you are right about GSP but not Andersonhe has no one, what we need to see in the MW division is more contenders fighting each other, franklin should fight henderson, Lutter should fight Hendo, Bisping should fight franklin, bisping should fight Cote, Okami shoul;d fight all these guys, Okami is the only one that half deserves a title shot definitely not Cote, GSP on the other hand has a lot more people he needs to fight at WW before he moves weights.

well MW is building back up, so there is going to be more fights for him and BTW lutter got cut from the UFC.

Post #10   7/23/08 3:24:47AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I really don't want to see this fight for 3 reasons.

1. GSP has so many fights he could take at WW that would make for great fights. To name a few.
Thiago Alves
Diego Sanchez
Karo Parisyan
All these would make for great fights.

2. Anderson is a BIG MW and GSP is just way to small to be fighting a guy of his skill level and size. GSP is a great fighter but I think the size difference will be the biggest factor.

3. I would much rather see Anderson move up to LHW and see how he fairs there against the top 10. As LHW is just so stacked right now and him moving up could make for some really great fights.

Post #11   7/23/08 4:33:36AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Regardless of if GSP wins his next fight or not Silva is just to big for him. To put it into context GSP walks around at about 185/190lb and cuts to 170 shedding 15lb. Silva walks around at 220lb thats the same weight as Fedor give or take 5lb! He cuts a amazing amount of weight to fight at MW where this fight would have to take place.
The size difference alone would be astronomical! Silva still looked big for a LHW against Irvin who himself is big in the devision can you imagine a LHW GSP?! He'd have to add like another 15/20lb of muscle just to make it up there!

I say forget about GSP vs Silva and let GSP fight BJ!

EDIT: After defending his title a few more times.

Last edited 7/23/08 8:24AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   7/23/08 8:24:09AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
gsp needs to prove himself but the sandman didn't??
gsp don't answer to nobody!!!!!!!

Post #13   7/23/08 8:28:08AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by jocka

they let Hughes do it right, I think it might be GSP pushing it also though

yeah but matt hugues is not holding a tittle right now, if you want to move up and down thats fine its just when you are holding a tittle you should stick to your weight class to defend it. actually they should probably force them to fight 3-4 time a year or every time they are healthy but that's another subject.

Post #14   7/23/08 10:48:13AM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
GSP definitly needs a few title defenses before he thinks about fighting Anderson. He has to fight Fitch, Thiago, BJ, and then Koscheck again. Diego isn't going to deserve a title shot after he gets KTFO'd by Thiago anyway.

Post #15   7/23/08 11:01:46AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2