Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sylvia SEVERELY over paid.

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Career:619-470
Camp: The Firm
Chips:
I dont think all those other sports athletes should make that much money either, its just insane.

Do I think you should have gotten 800,000 for one day in Iraq? No.

Do I think you should make more money then Tim Silvia? Definately

Theres plenty they could do with the extra money.. In Afflictions case, they could of had some better marketing. Thos commercials sucked balls. They could have put more into the show, the mics kept going out, the commentators were always off (Jay needs to stick to scripted commentating).

In general tho, say in the UFC, they could pay the lower class fighters a little bit more, so they could actaully train fulltime. They could set money aside for the organizations future. They could hold more events, or have another side organization. They could lower the PPVs a bit.. I missed alot of them, because I was strapped for cash. They could hold more international shows.

Post #46   7/23/08 12:37:44AM   

big_timmy

In Full Mount

big_timmy Avatar

Career:188-136
Chips:
Same here. Saying that they dont earn as much as other top athletes only works if you believe that they earn there cash aswell, and i was hoping not to go into it here, cause i dont believe thats right either. Same with actors.

As for you, i do belive you should earn more than you are paid, because your actually doing a tough job. Im not here to get into polotics, but you were doing your job, and its a life threatening one, so yes, you deserve more than Tim Sylvia gets paid. Police, Fireys, Ambos, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, all these proffesions earn there money, and i believe they should be paid more. Maybe not doctors, cause they alright for themselves.

Posted by ncordless

That's the other part of it. It's not only what they do but how good they are at doing it. Say what you want about pro fighters, but they are much better than you at fighting. No one would pay you that much no matter how hard you train because you will never be that good. A truly skilled fighter is a rare thing and they are getting paid for their rarity.

Your saying Tim Sylvia is a trully skilled fighter? And who are you to tell anyone that they arent good enough, do you acually know me? This is possibly the stupidest enrty to this argument yet.

And if you look earlier in the thread, i said that i do believe that good fighter should earn good money, just not $800,000, and just not Tim Sylvia.

Last edited 7/23/08 9:26AM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: Insult

Post #47   7/23/08 12:52:36AM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by big_timmy

Same here. Saying that they dont earn as much as other top athletes only works if you believe that they earn there cash aswell, and i was hoping not to go into it here, cause i dont believe thats right either. Same with actors.

As for you, i do belive you should earn more than you are paid, because your actually doing a tough job. Im not here to get into polotics, but you were doing your job, and its a life threatening one, so yes, you deserve more than Tim Sylvia gets paid. Police, Fireys, Ambos, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, all these proffesions earn there money, and i believe they should be paid more. Maybe not doctors, cause they alright for themselves.

Posted by ncordless

That's the other part of it. It's not only what they do but how good they are at doing it. Say what you want about pro fighters, but they are much better than you at fighting. No one would pay you that much no matter how hard you train because you will never be that good. A truly skilled fighter is a rare thing and they are getting paid for their rarity.

Your saying Tim Sylvia is a trully skilled fighter? And who are you to tell anyone that they arent good enough, do you acually know me? This is possibly the stupidest enrty to this argument yet. Well done good sir, you've just make a complete dick out of yourself.

And if you look earlier in the thread, i said that i do believe that good fighter should earn good money, just not $800,000, and just not Tim Sylvia.

Yea I dont think Tim is one of those rarities your dreaming about.. Tim is just a guy that is 6'8 that put alot of hours in training.. Tim definatly wasnt born a natural.

Post #48   7/23/08 1:07:04AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well, listen guys... I don't want to get into personal issues here, but I don't think I deserved $800,000 for the time spent in Iraq. I am perfectly humbled and O.K. with what I got. I just wanted to illustrate that I'm not saying Tim deserves the money because I come from money and I want others to have money.

I'm coming up in the amateur world of fighting right now. The only other time I can think of when I sacrificed so much was basic training and my time in Iraq. I work too much, sleep too little, am sore too much, spend too much money on remedies and supplements, etc. etc. I am not foolish enough to think that Tim Sylvia didn't do the same thing. Or any other fighter out there, really. There are few that are naturally gifted like you talk about- one being BJ Penn.

I won't ever reach Tim Sylvia's level I'm sure, but hey.. I'm out there putting in work and PAYING to do it. I have mad respect for people like Tim Sylvia because he pioneered the sport. We're talking about the numbers today, but what was he making when he first started fighting? Loop jack shit, I'm sure. Just like the rest of us up and coming guys. Matter of fact I'd bet he was LOSING money just like the rest of us. I work 50 hrs a week at two jobs, go to school full time, and train MMA every chance I can get. When my shin pads rip, mouth piece breaks, gloves rip or shorts rip I have to analyze every little bit of my finances just to make sure I can afford replacing them. When I enter a tournament it costs me money to fly out there, get a hotel, and to even participate in the tournament. I'm not even the worst story. There's guys I know that sleep in their cars or work twice as much as I do.

Tim Sylvia is no different than the rest of us- he came up the same way. As a matter of fact he came up when it was even more difficult. He'd had 16 fights in smaller orgs probably eating Beanie weenies on a regular basis just to get by.

Fine- you don't like his style. But you can never say he hasn't put in the work or that he isn't a skilled fighter. If all he uses is his size and reach then every 6'8 270 lb guy could be a UFC champion and you'd see a lot more 6'8 270 lb. guys in the UFC. You can think you know, but straight up you DON'T know. Because from the sounds of it you guys don't know what the sacrifice is about. You just sit back, drink your haterade and bash on one of the world's top fighters because you don't like him. Just remember he helped make this sport you love what it is. You don't have to like him, but you should analyze the fact that in a way you do owe him some respect. I personally feel that 28mil a year for a baseball player is a bit much, but 800k for a top 10 fighter? No way. I think it's right on target.

Post #49   7/23/08 8:38:24AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well, listen guys... I don't want to get into personal issues here, but I don't think I deserved $800,000 for the time spent in Iraq. I am perfectly humbled and O.K. with what I got. I just wanted to illustrate that I'm not saying Tim deserves the money because I come from money and I want others to have money.

I'm coming up in the amateur world of fighting right now. The only other time I can think of when I sacrificed so much was basic training and my time in Iraq. I work too much, sleep too little, am sore too much, spend too much money on remedies and supplements, etc. etc. I am not foolish enough to think that Tim Sylvia didn't do the same thing. Or any other fighter out there, really. There are few that are naturally gifted like you talk about- one being BJ Penn.

I won't ever reach Tim Sylvia's level I'm sure, but hey.. I'm out there putting in work and PAYING to do it. I have mad respect for people like Tim Sylvia because he pioneered the sport. We're talking about the numbers today, but what was he making when he first started fighting? Loop jack shit, I'm sure. Just like the rest of us up and coming guys. Matter of fact I'd bet he was LOSING money just like the rest of us. I work 50 hrs a week at two jobs, go to school full time, and train MMA every chance I can get. When my shin pads rip, mouth piece breaks, gloves rip or shorts rip I have to analyze every little bit of my finances just to make sure I can afford replacing them. When I enter a tournament it costs me money to fly out there, get a hotel, and to even participate in the tournament. I'm not even the worst story. There's guys I know that sleep in their cars or work twice as much as I do.

Tim Sylvia is no different than the rest of us- he came up the same way. As a matter of fact he came up when it was even more difficult. He'd had 16 fights in smaller orgs probably eating Beanie weenies on a regular basis just to get by.

Fine- you don't like his style. But you can never say he hasn't put in the work or that he isn't a skilled fighter. If all he uses is his size and reach then every 6'8 270 lb guy could be a UFC champion and you'd see a lot more 6'8 270 lb. guys in the UFC. You can think you know, but straight up you DON'T know. Because from the sounds of it you guys don't know what the sacrifice is about. You just sit back, drink your haterade and bash on one of the world's top fighters because you don't like him. Just remember he helped make this sport you love what it is. You don't have to like him, but you should analyze the fact that in a way you do owe him some respect. I personally feel that 28mil a year for a baseball player is a bit much, but 800k for a top 10 fighter? No way. I think it's right on target.

Great post. I'd propr but gotta spread the love

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #50   7/23/08 10:52:07AM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Chips:
As for Tim making nothing when he was comming up in the sport.. thats exactly what im saying.. they should be paying the smaller guys more fairly before giving the big guys enough dough to blow their noses on. It just good for the sport.. the more people you have that can afford to train the more qualty athletes you will produce. As I said, a big company like Zuffa, could get a monthly tournamanet going on cable tv or something. Pay fighters decently, and add more talent to the sport and grow their ppv. Right now they have a reality show thats mostly for guys that used to be on top, or already on their way to the top.. they have nothing for guys that are trying to break onto the scene, and are making 100$ a fight.

Once again people calling me a hater, and saying I dont like Tim.. Wow never said that. Just because we dont think any athelete should make 800,000 for one event all the sudden we hate Tim Sylvia? And as I said before Tim spent alot of hours in the gym.. no I dont think every guy at that size could make it to his level, because most people dont train that hard. Im saying Tim wasnt born as a naturally gidted fighter, he trained alot to get there.

People need to quite jumping down peoples throats with the fighter bashing thing. No one is fighter bashing here.. but some of you are being very prejudice and jumping to conclusions. Dont accuse people of fighter bashing.. thats just bashing other members.

All im saying is no fighter should make 800,000 a fight.. How does that mean I dislike Tim Sylvia? And even if I or someone else says they dont think Tim Sylvia specifically deserves 800,000.. that would hardly be fighter bashing. I really dont see that at all though, I see people saying either A: Some of the other fighters should earn more money, or B: Fighters shouldnt make that much money.

Quit jumping on peoples nuts and falsly accusing them.

Last edited 7/23/08 3:54PM server time by jkdskinhead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #51   7/23/08 3:48:22PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:

Posted by jkdskinhead

As for Tim making nothing when he was comming up in the sport.. thats exactly what im saying.. they should be paying the smaller guys more fairly before giving the big guys enough dough to blow their noses on. It just good for the sport.. the more people you have that can afford to train the more qualty athletes you will produce. As I said, a big company like Zuffa, could get a monthly tournamanet going on cable tv or something. Pay fighters decently, and add more talent to the sport and grow their ppv. Right now they have a reality show thats mostly for guys that used to be on top, or already on their way to the top.. they have nothing for guys that are trying to break onto the scene, and are making 100$ a fight.

Once again people calling me a hater, and saying I dont like Tim.. Wow never said that. Just because we dont think any athelete should make 800,000 for one event all the sudden we hate Tim Sylvia? And as I said before Tim spent alot of hours in the gym.. no I dont think every guy at that size could make it to his level, because most people dont train that hard. Im saying Tim wasnt born as a naturally gidted fighter, he trained alot to get there.

People need to quite jumping down peoples throats with the fighter bashing thing. No one is fighter bashing here.. but some of you are being very prejudice and jumping to conclusions. Dont accuse people of fighter bashing.. thats just bashing other members.

All im saying is no fighter should make 800,000 a fight.. How does that mean I dislike Tim Sylvia? And even if I or someone else says they dont think Tim Sylvia specifically deserves 800,000.. that would hardly be fighter bashing. I really dont see that at all though, I see people saying either A: Some of the other fighters should earn more money, or B: Fighters shouldnt make that much money.

well i can asure Micheal Jordan wasny just born with the talent he has, or A-rod with his talent. everyone who is talented enough to be considered one of the best in the world had to put in hours and ours of back breaking training. The way Tim was paid was fine. he is one of the best HW in the world. why shouldnt he get paid the most? if you want your house built by a top construction company are you going to pay them as if they where a brand new company starting out? how about these entrepenuers who start business and end up making millions a year. do they not deserve the money? they put in all the hard work to make it there and can now sit back and enjoy. Tim breaks his ass. If he was bor with talent or not. for you to say he wasnt born with talent makes his achievements more special. Tim was getting paid big numbers because hes one of the best end of story.

Last edited 7/23/08 6:05PM server time by ko-kbo130

Post #52   7/23/08 6:05:13PM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ko-kbo130

Posted by jkdskinhead

well i can asure Micheal Jordan wasny just born with the talent he has, or A-rod with his talent. everyone who is talented enough to be considered one of the best in the world had to put in hours and ours of back breaking training. The way Tim was paid was fine. he is one of the best HW in the world. why shouldnt he get paid the most? if you want your house built by a top construction company are you going to pay them as if they where a brand new company starting out? how about these entrepenuers who start business and end up making millions a year. do they not deserve the money? they put in all the hard work to make it there and can now sit back and enjoy. Tim breaks his ass. If he was bor with talent or not. for you to say he wasnt born with talent makes his achievements more special. Tim was getting paid big numbers because hes one of the best end of story.

Exactly what im saying.. yea he worked hard to get to the top.. However what im also saying is that no athlete.. not just Tim Sylvia.. should make that much money. Michael Kordan shouldnt have amde as much as he did.. and most baseball players shouldnt be getting paid that much. I think making that much money, while other people work harder just to put food on the table is immoral. Tims job is harder, but there are harder jobs, that pay 40,000, and you risk your life. Im saying they should pay lesser known fighters more money. They are working hard too. 100,000 would be a fine cap, in any sport. The people that have raw talents and go the extra mile and become big stars of the sport can make millions in endorsements and sponsors, they dont need to be taking the cash from the other men working hard.

Post #53   7/23/08 9:51:40PM   

Buddharox

MMA Regular

Buddharox Avatar

Career:207-123
Chips:
If you think they're being overpaid, then stop watching the sport. Every PPV, every t-shirt, etc... allows people to make that much money. Actors, musicians, atheletes all make that much because were all watching them. The pay goes up as the fanbase grows.

I agree that superstars and A-list actors make way too much, but that's how our society works. Nothing immoral about accepting more money for what you're doing.

Post #54   7/23/08 10:13:24PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jkdskinhead

I'm not saying you "hate" Tim Sylvia, I'm saying you're a "Hater". Like the dude at the club who gets mad cuz a guy brings home the hot chick. People would rather sit back and say "He doesn't deserve her" or "He doesn't deserve that" than they would go out and get their own. If you need me to tie the strings together- you're getting mad because someone is making money and you're not getting your PPV's for cheaper or they're not paying for small timer's way into the UFC. That's cool, you can have that opinion, I just think people get what they earn. The juice is worth the squeeze, ya know? Not only that a hard road weeds out the weak.

If people walked around handing out money to bums on the street they would still be bums because for the vast majority of them they don't know a thing about earning their keep.

As for Big_Timmy, yes I did call him out for fighter bashing. Because in his first couple posts he said things like-

This is appauling. He is a joke to most people

Give me $800,000 and i'll fight anyone in the world and put up a better fight than what Tim Sylvia did. Shit, give my $50 and i'll go in and fight anyone in the world.

would LOVE the chance to fight Tim Sylvia. And i'd do it for free. Shit, i'd take him on any street corner, cage, ring, yamma pit, tree top, circus tent, anywhere.

It bothers me that this guy who isnt that good a fighter gets paid $800,000

i just dont understand how Tim Sylvia is pulling in this cash when he hasnt even put up a fight for a long time now.

or should I pick through more than the 2 posts it took to pull all that out of?

Coincidentally the forum code of conduct states-

2. Blatant performer bashing (fighters, refs, etc) will not be tolerated.

Now, there's a small bit of a grey area because it's not like he's saying "Tim Sylvia is a fricken turd." But if you ask me saying that Tim Sylvia is a joke or that some keyboard warrior would put up a better fight than a professional fighter crosses that line.

I've been a member of this site since it pretty much first started. I've been called out for fighter bashing before when I said how disrespectful Babalu was choking out David Heath and then talking shit on the mic afterward. I took it in stride and said "roger" then stopped. I like this site a lot and even though I'm not a mod I jump right down people's throats when they bash on a fighter who is respectful of his opponent and gets his ass kicked. Because A) I respect what they're putting on the line. and B) I respect this site and want it to be filled with nothing but quality posters.

None of us know what it's like to face your fears by putting your skills on the line in front of millions of fans. To get smoked in 36 seconds is embarassing as hell, but it was against THE BEST HW in the world and arguably the best P4P fighter in the world.

Post #55   7/23/08 10:54:13PM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Buddharox

If you think they're being overpaid, then stop watching the sport. Every PPV, every t-shirt, etc... allows people to make that much money. Actors, musicians, atheletes all make that much because were all watching them. The pay goes up as the fanbase grows.

I agree that superstars and A-list actors make way too much, but that's how our society works. Nothing immoral about accepting more money for what you're doing.

Thats like saying its not immoral to take drug money.. your making a profit while other people suffer.

And no I dont have to stop watching my favorite athletes.. I dont pay the fighters, and the fighters dont get to pick their pay. THe organzations write up the contracts and make the deals. The fighters may ask for more money, but the organizations get the final say.

I would never accept 1 million dollars a year.. never,, if someone gave me a million dollars a year.. i would take 80k a year, which is way more then I would ever need.. i would give some of that 80k to my family.. I would then use the rest of the money to help build up aid for starving schooless children.

How can anyone say taking more then you deserve is not immoral.. thats practically the definition of immoral. Doing something that hinders other people and benifits you, is the meaning of the word immoral. Thats exactly what you would be doing.

Post #56   7/23/08 10:56:28PM   

Buddharox

MMA Regular

Buddharox Avatar

Chips:
What the...?

How can you even compare a paycheck from a sport to drug money. Making money is not immoral.

Post #57   7/24/08 2:51:43AM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Buddharox

What the...?

How can you even compare a paycheck from a sport to drug money. Making money is not immoral.

The comparison im making is, you are taking money from other people sufferings.. wow I thought I already explained the comparison.

Taking something you dont deserve is immoral.. Jed Pittman shows up for work 4 days a year and his underlings work 300 days a week and do all the work for him, but he makes 10x what they make, and hes payed on a governemnt check.. I guess this isnt immoral because hes working a legit job right?

Taking more than you need is called glutony.. Its just plain immoral. Once again maybe you should look up the definition of immoral.

Last edited 7/24/08 3:04AM server time by jkdskinhead

Post #58   7/24/08 3:02:21AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by Buddharox

What the...?

The comparison im making is, you are taking money from other people sufferings.. wow I thought I already explained the comparison.

Taking something you dont deserve is immoral.. Jed Pittman shows up for work 4 days a year and his underlings work 300 days a week and do all the work for him, but he makes 10x what they make, and hes payed on a governemnt check.. I guess this isnt immoral because hes working a legit job right?

Taking more than you need is called glutony.. Its just plain immoral. Once again maybe you should look up the definition of immoral.

It would take communism to change something like this. And usually that doesnt pan out well for the country in the long run...

Why complain about something that can not be changed?

Post #59   7/24/08 3:06:59AM   

Buddharox

MMA Regular

Buddharox Avatar

Chips:
You throw out immoral way too loosely.

How old are you anyways? Not an insult, but you seem to be stuck in some wishy-washy world where everything should be fair.

Post #60   7/24/08 5:18:08AM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5