Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sylvia SEVERELY over paid.

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

big_timmy

In Full Mount

big_timmy Avatar

Career:188-136
Chips:
I hate Tim Sylvia, that might not come as a shock to most people.

But seriously, where else in the world can a man walk into work, work for 38 seconds, leave, and get paid $800,000?

This is appauling. He is a joke to most people, and he goes in and fights a man who is considered by many the best fighter in the world, and Tim Sylvia gets paid more than Fedor?

I know this was just a pay day for most of the fighters on the Affliction card, but come on, who in their right mind would pay that much for Tim Sylvia?

God it pisses me off. Give me $800,000 and i'll fight anyone in the world and put up a better fight than what Tim Sylvia did. Shit, give my $50 and i'll go in and fight anyone in the world.

You could say this is a frustrated rant, but seriously, is no one else annoyed about this?

Post #1   7/21/08 9:44:53PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Doesn't seem it bothers anyone else

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #2   7/21/08 9:52:06PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LOL I guarantee you wouldn't last 38 sec. vs. Fedor or Tim.

Post #3   7/21/08 9:53:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

LOL I guarantee you wouldn't last 38 sec. vs. Fedor or Tim.

Post #4   7/21/08 9:53:54PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
And I thought it was Fedor that wanted all this money to fight. Atleast Andrei made a lot.

Post #5   7/21/08 9:56:22PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
well i agree with the TS. Tim Sylvia did not deserve that money in the slightest, but i guess they had to draw him away from the UFC somehow. oh, and i thought Fedor was asking for 1 million+....how did he get stuck with 300,000? either way, it is good and bad because it shows that there is some serious money to be made in the sport and that MMA fighters are starting to get paid more and more.

Post #6   7/21/08 9:57:07PM   

big_timmy

In Full Mount

big_timmy Avatar

Chips:
I would LOVE the chance to fight Tim Sylvia. And i'd do it for free. Shit, i'd take him on any street corner, cage, ring, yamma pit, tree top, circus tent, anywhere.

It bothers me that this guy who isnt that good a fighter gets paid $800,000 when you got lower level fighters puting on good shows for the people and they get nothing but bread. Fair enough thats how business works, but i just dont understand how Tim Sylvia is pulling in this cash when he hasnt even put up a fight for a long time now.

I guess it pays big time to have your manager as an upper managment type.

What happened to Fedor asking over 2 millions wasnt it?

In my eyes, if your Fedor, you can ask what ever you want for a fight, same with Anderson Silva. These guys will give you a show. But how do these 2 fighters, Fedor and Silva, walk away after this weekend with their money COMBINED less than Sylvia?

Tell me, who out of this group would you rather pay money to see? Fedor, Sylvia, or Anderson Silva? Two of these 3 earn there money, the other is 6'8 and boring as bat shit.

Post #7   7/21/08 10:33:22PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,401-818
Chips:
I hope he doesn't spend it all in one place, 'cuz he's never (ever) going to get paid $800K for 1 fight ever again.

Post #8   7/21/08 10:50:58PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by big_timmy

I would LOVE the chance to fight Tim Sylvia. And i'd do it for free. Shit, i'd take him on any street corner, cage, ring, yamma pit, tree top, circus tent, anywhere.

It bothers me that this guy who isnt that good a fighter gets paid $800,000 when you got lower level fighters puting on good shows for the people and they get nothing but bread. Fair enough thats how business works, but i just dont understand how Tim Sylvia is pulling in this cash when he hasnt even put up a fight for a long time now.

In my eyes, if your Fedor, you can ask what ever you want for a fight, same with Anderson Silva. These guys will give you a show. But how do these 2 fighters, Fedor and Silva, walk away after this weekend with their money COMBINED less than Sylvia?

Tell me, who out of this group would you rather pay money to see? Fedor, Sylvia, or Anderson Silva? Two of these 3 earn there money, the other is 6'8 and boring as bat shit.

How this isn't fighter bashing is beyond me. I've seen you hate on Tim Sylvia a lot around here before. I'll say this-

First of all, for any poster here on the playground to call out a fighter is outright ridiculous. I know a lot of us around here train, but I guarantee you unless Arlovski, Big Nog, Fedor, Frank Mir or Couture is one of the posters almost everyone else would get their ass kicked by Tim Sylvia. He's lost to those 5 guys, and had his arm broken by Frank Mir for the technical submission (still wanted to continue, I might add) I'd love to see you run into Tim Sylvia on a street corner and summon those apparently gigantic e-balls to say what you're saying now to his face. Because what you're doing is 100% disrespect. Granted, I'd fight him too for $800,000 but I'd be humbled in doing so and wouldn't for a second think I stood a chance. That coming from a guy who's been training seriously for years now along side several UFC and other top organization fighters.

That point aside- Yes, Tim Sylvia can be a boring fighter. His style is for some, but not for all. No person can argue the fact that he has stepped into the Octagon against the cream of the crop competition. He was well on his way to a decision victory or possible KO of Big Nog at that. You don't like his style- fine. Leave it at that. What kind of authority are you on matters to consider whether or not he's got what it takes to be in the big rings against the top competition? I'm sure Arlovski could tell you about how dangerous Tim Sylvia can be (2x), and how about Monson? Ricco Rodriguez? Or any one of the 26 PROFESSIONAL FIGHTERS he has fought and beat. (17 of whom he's KO'd)

I understand people don't like to look at a tall, goofy looking, fat around the mid-section fighter who uses reach and size to his advantage. Give the man his credit for God's sake, though! He's done well for himself and he's overcome serious obstacles to get where he is. Calling him out on the internet just makes you look ignorant and spiteful. If that's the impression you want to give to others, then fine... but I'd seriously suggest you rehash your wording so you don't get banned or assume the role of town idiot.

Post #9   7/21/08 10:56:32PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well i agree with the TS. Tim Sylvia did not deserve that money in the slightest, but i guess they had to draw him away from the UFC somehow. oh, and i thought Fedor was asking for 1 million+....how did he get stuck with 300,000? either way, it is good and bad because it shows that there is some serious money to be made in the sport and that MMA fighters are starting to get paid more and more.

Money is getting better and better. A question I have is how will this affect the UFC in resigning their top guys when it comes to contract time?

Post #10   7/21/08 10:58:16PM   

big_timmy

In Full Mount

big_timmy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by big_timmy

How this isn't fighter bashing is beyond me. I've seen you hate on Tim Sylvia a lot around here before. I'll say this-

First of all, for any poster here on the playground to call out a fighter is outright ridiculous. I know a lot of us around here train, but I guarantee you unless Arlovski, Big Nog, Fedor, Frank Mir or Couture is one of the posters almost everyone else would get their ass kicked by Tim Sylvia. He's lost to those 5 guys, and had his arm broken by Frank Mir for the technical submission (still wanted to continue, I might add) I'd love to see you run into Tim Sylvia on a street corner and summon those apparently gigantic e-balls to say what you're saying now to his face. Because what you're doing is 100% disrespect. Granted, I'd fight him too for $800,000 but I'd be humbled in doing so and wouldn't for a second think I stood a chance. That coming from a guy who's been training seriously for years now along side several UFC and other top organization fighters.

That point aside- Yes, Tim Sylvia can be a boring fighter. His style is for some, but not for all. No person can argue the fact that he has stepped into the Octagon against the cream of the crop competition. He was well on his way to a decision victory or possible KO of Big Nog at that. You don't like his style- fine. Leave it at that. What kind of authority are you on matters to consider whether or not he's got what it takes to be in the big rings against the top competition? I'm sure Arlovski could tell you about how dangerous Tim Sylvia can be (2x), and how about Monson? Ricco Rodriguez? Or any one of the 26 PROFESSIONAL FIGHTERS he has fought and beat. (17 of whom he's KO'd)

I understand people don't like to look at a tall, goofy looking, fat around the mid-section fighter who uses reach and size to his advantage. Give the man his credit for God's sake, though! He's done well for himself and he's overcome serious obstacles to get where he is. Calling him out on the internet just makes you look ignorant and spiteful. If that's the impression you want to give to others, then fine... but I'd seriously suggest you rehash your wording so you don't get banned or assume the role of town idiot.

I say what comes to mind, and for that i have been called the town idiot by a few people, but others do tend to agree with what i haev to say.

I am spiteful, that a bloke who is only winning fights because of his reach and size is earning $800,000 for losing in 38 seconds. Whats not to be spiteful about?

how can you say he was ON HIS WAY to beating big nog? A possible KO? It was also POSSIBLE that a light falls off the roof and cracks Tim on the head, but it doesnt mean its LIKELY to happen. In fighting, the only thing that counts is who wins at the end, not who was WINNING. Bring me Tim Sylvia and i will say what i want to his face. You can say im just being a keyboard warrior, but im just saying what i feel, not puting on a facade or anything of the sort. Call me what you like, im stickin to my guns, and my feelings wont change.

Im not the sort of person that automaticlly hands out respect to anyone who steps into the ring or octagon to fight. You have to earn respect in my eyes, and you do that by puting on a show, puting up a good fight. Tim Sylvia hasnt done this for a long time. This is why i hate on him. Look at the facts to back it up and you'll see this isnt jsut opinion, its fact.

Post #11   7/21/08 11:18:23PM   

poll77

MMA Regular

poll77 Avatar

Career:29-23
Camp: Team Havoc
Chips:

Posted by big_timmy

how can you say he is not a very good fighter??? he has been the UFC champion-maybe not the best in the world nonetheless, he is still a pretty damn good fighter. if you think you are so good why don't you go try to fight some people and work your way up to timmy...and then go home crying to your mommy.

Post #12   7/21/08 11:28:58PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by big_timmy

I say what comes to mind, and for that i have been called the town idiot by a few people, but others do tend to agree with what i haev to say.

I am spiteful, that a bloke who is only winning fights because of his reach and size is earning $800,000 for losing in 38 seconds. Whats not to be spiteful about?

how can you say he was ON HIS WAY to beating big nog? A possible KO? It was also POSSIBLE that a light falls off the roof and cracks Tim on the head, but it doesnt mean its LIKELY to happen. In fighting, the only thing that counts is who wins at the end, not who was WINNING. Bring me Tim Sylvia and i will say what i want to his face. You can say im just being a keyboard warrior, but im just saying what i feel, not puting on a facade or anything of the sort. Call me what you like, im stickin to my guns, and my feelings wont change.

Im not the sort of person that automaticlly hands out respect to anyone who steps into the ring or octagon to fight. You have to earn respect in my eyes, and you do that by puting on a show, puting up a good fight. Tim Sylvia hasnt done this for a long time. This is why i hate on him. Look at the facts to back it up and you'll see this isnt jsut opinion, its fact.

So-

1) You're spiteful that Tim Sylvia made 800k for a few seconds of fighting.

I guess that 800k came out of your pocket? That's the only way I could see this mattering. It's a fight, fighters negotiate with managers and promotions for their contract before they fight. He obviously was managed well and earned himself a good contract. Hooray for him. That's like hating on the guy at the club who picks up the hot girl because he had the game to talk himself up. Quit being a hater and celebrate in the fact that fighter paydays are going up. This is good for everyone in the sport.

2) You don't think he was on his way to winning a decision or possibly KO'ing Big Nog

This leads me to believe you must have missed that fight. Tim was putting a brutal beating on Nog for the majority of that fight until he slipped up and got caught. Mad props to Big Nog for getting it done (he's one of my favorite fighters, and that is his style of fighting) but the likelihood of Tim scoring a decision win or a KO was much, much, much, much higher than that of a light falling off the ceiling.

In the end, yes.. the W is all that matters. I can tell you about fights I've personally had where even though I came out with the W I was under no false pretenses that I hadn't had my ass kicked throughout the majority of the fight.

3) You'd still say what you say over the internet to Tim's face, and you're carrying some kind of baggage against the world that prevents you from giving respect where respect is due. Either that or you haven't put the hours upon hours in at the MMA gym to understand what goes into a fight.

That's fine. For the first portion- you'd get KO'd and everyone would stand there saying

"Well, that's what happens when you talk shit to a UFC Champion and one of the top 10 heavyweights in the world"

For the second portion- that's fine as well. You can disrespect people until they've "earned" your respect. Just know that in turn people will disrespect you the same. You're probably fine with that, too. I just hope your physical head is as hard as your emotional head because I could see Tim Sylvia putting a 1, 2 right through the front of it should you ever meet him on the street

Another thing- judging by the fact that you sound like you're probably a big guy, and your myspace page says you're 6'5- who are you to say anything about using size and reach to win fights? You've probably been getting by with that your whole life and you just don't realize it. Just something to think about next time before you bash on someone you don't even know and what he's done for this great sport.

Post #13   7/21/08 11:35:40PM   

big_timmy

In Full Mount

big_timmy Avatar

Chips:
He has been UFC champion yes, but so was Ricco. Tim hasnt done anything of note for the past year and a half. Struggled to do anything against Monson who is a foot shorter than him, lost to Randy which is fair enough, layed on Vera for 2 rounds for a decision, lost to big nog, lost to fedor in 36 seconds. 6 of his last 8 fights have gone to decision.

Its right there for anyone to see. Its not fighter bashing when its in the facts.

Lets be honest, this isnt really going anywhere. I've had my say, you've had yours. Lets put an end to this before it gets too heated.

Last edited 7/21/08 11:44PM server time by big_timmy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/21/08 11:39:14PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by big_timmy

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by big_timmy

He absolutely dominated Nog until he was subbed. This was a good fight where he laid everything on the line! He heard the criticism of his prior performances and he responded in turn. What more can you ask from the guy? You don't like his style? Fine, but Sylvia is a top 5 heavyweight who would beat just about anyone in the division including EVERY current UFC heavyweight, CroCop, and almost everybody on the Affliction card. Sylvia is still very much relevant, and with a better training camp, could potentially even beat Fedor.

Post #15   7/21/08 11:40:51PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>