Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Vitor Belfort KO’d Terry Martin with a Broken Hand

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
When Vitor Belfort knocked out Terry Martin at Affliction: Banned (see above video, in case you didn’t get the FSN broadcast), it was hard not to think that “The Phenom” was back. But what we didn’t know was that he did it with a broken hand. As he told the Xtreme Couture blog, he basically fought the whole bout that way:

XC: When did you break your hand?

Vitor: The first punch I threw. It was a straight left. I knew right away it broke. But I had to keep going. I couldn’t throw my combinations I had worked on. Coach Tompkins was yelling at me to throw my combos. At the end of the first round I went back to the corner and Tompkins was yelling at me, “Why don’t you throw your combos?” I said, “My hand is broken”. He said, “Ok” and Randy said, “Just go first. Go for it and finish the fight”.

I said to myself, “Ok, I’ll do that”. It was great chemistry in the corner. I went out and I did what they said. I was looking to land a big shot and get it over with. It’s my left hand, which is my power hand. I went out and threw the kick at Terry. When he caught my kick I let him take me down so I could soften him up with the elbows. I knew I could get back to my feet when I needed to. Then I set him up for the knee. After that I was able to pick his head up with the uppercut and end it with the straight left.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/21/08 8:27:08PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He looked okay even with the broken hand. But he might want to look into coaching, or teaching. Every fight this guy breaks his hand. It's a chronic problem that has plagued him since the beginnning of his career.

Post #2   7/21/08 8:34:39PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
True, and it's his bread and butter too. Isn't he the WAMMA MW Champ now??

Post #3   7/21/08 9:54:53PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
nice to see vitor back. he's going to do some damage at mw.

Post #4   7/21/08 10:22:00PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

they might be settin up vitor vs. lindland for the title on a future card

Post #5   7/21/08 10:50:47PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Could be good....if they both come in better than their last showings. Wasn't too pleased with either to be perfectly honest. Vitor saved himself by landing the KO though, where as Lindland just seemed lacksidasical.

Post #6   7/22/08 12:41:37AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,342-746
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Not do sound down on Vitor because I like him but a cold breeze could KO Terry Martin. Vitor is a fighter that you never know who is going to show up. I miss the old Vitor but he hasn't been around in years.

Post #7   7/22/08 1:54:32AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,792-1,044
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think we saw glimpses of the old Vitor against Martin and with him being at MW now he could be on somewhat of a comeback.

Post #8   7/22/08 2:43:29AM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by jae_1833

If they let Vitor Belfort fight Matt Linland for the MW WAMMA belt, then that would instantly discredit WAMMA in my opinion. I dont think anyone would argue that the UFC has the best MW on the planet. If you want to say that WAMMA's champs are the real champs, regardless of promotion, then any fight for the WAMMA MW belt without A. Silva is a joke and it goes against what they say they stand for.

Post #9   7/22/08 12:02:24PM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
Belort is the man

Post #10   7/22/08 9:55:59PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:

Posted by FantasyFighter

Posted by Manak

Posted by jae_1833

If they let Vitor Belfort fight Matt Linland for the MW WAMMA belt, then that would instantly discredit WAMMA in my opinion. I dont think anyone would argue that the UFC has the best MW on the planet. If you want to say that WAMMA's champs are the real champs, regardless of promotion, then any fight for the WAMMA MW belt without A. Silva is a joke and it goes against what they say they stand for.

Ok, I agree BUT... i might get flamed for this but IMO a in shape Lindland can squeak out a decision against A.Silva 5/10 times

Post #11   7/22/08 10:16:24PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by lordicast

Posted by FantasyFighter

Posted by Manak

Posted by jae_1833

Ok, I agree BUT... i might get flamed for this but IMO a in shape Lindland can squeak out a decision against A.Silva 5/10 times

By the way Lindland fought this week end he would of get ko easy. i hate when people say " an in shape <insert fighter name> could beat Anderson Silva" A fighter should always be in shape when is the last time Anderson was not in shape ?? thats exactly why he s that good

Post #12   7/22/08 10:46:44PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by lordicast

Posted by FantasyFighter

Posted by Manak

Posted by jae_1833

By the way Lindland fought this week end he would of get ko easy. i hate when people say " an in shape <insert fighter name> could beat Anderson Silva" A fighter should always be in shape when is the last time Anderson was not in shape ?? thats exactly why he s that good

When i say In shape i mean the Lindland that fought Rampage & Fedor not the guy i saw fight a nobody at affliction: Banned LOL

Post #13   7/22/08 10:54:58PM   

grapplersquest

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
hopefully vitor is back............

Post #14   7/22/08 11:05:53PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Wow, broken hand and he didn't even poke Martin in the eye.

Last edited 7/23/08 8:23AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   7/23/08 8:23:37AM